Beau Allen vs #75 Hopkins

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I was watching the Minnetonka vs Hopkins game on Fox North and have been focusing on Beau Allen because there has been so much talk about him. I have DVR and have been running the plays over in slow motion to get a better look at him.

I get that you can't teach size because Allen is big. He also seems to hustles to the ball in pursuit real well. However, he is not really winning the battle of the trenches at all. I've seen several times when #75 for Hopkins blew him right out of the hole. He has been a non-factor in pass rush. No rush really coming out of him at all granted Hopkins gets rid of the ball pretty quickly. I'm not going to watch the 2nd half but that is what I've seen in two quarters. Maybe we should be recruiting #75 from Hopkins if he is able to neutralize Allen:confused:

Thanks for the insight...forgot game was on.

Watched the rest of the game

I'm sure he is a very good player or all these colleges wouldn't be after him. He made some nice plays against the run at times like any good player would. I just didn't see him dominate like I thought a player of his reputation would.

I did go back and watch the second half and he made a few more plays than he did in the first half. In one of their five man fronts their tackles (he played tackle in that situation) played upright like a linebacker.

I'm sure he is a very good player or all these colleges wouldn't be after him. He made some nice plays against the run at times like any good player would. I just didn't see him dominate like I thought a player of his reputation would.

I did go back and watch the second half and he made a few more plays than he did in the first half. In one of their five man fronts their tackles (he played tackle in that situation) played upright like a linebacker.

Geez, I hope Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Iowa and Standford don't find out about the #75 dude too!

Hopkins won by a point

I think the score was 31 -30. Hopkins was a head and instead of running the ball late in the game they threw it on first down. Tonka intercepted and shortly there after scored. The Tonka kicker missed the extra point letting Hopkins off the hook. I would hate the pressure of being a kicker.

When I was younger, I beat Ryan Melander and Mark McElroy a few times too. It doesn't mean I was a better player than them, because I wasn't. (And FWIW, McElroy was a far tougher HS player than Melander was)

Brody Thomas - Hopkins

#75 Brody Thomas 12 OG 5'11 250 (from Hopkin's website)

I wasn't the only one to notice #75 having a good game against Allen. The announcers commented on it several times. At best I would have called what I saw as a draw. Allen had an ok game ...he just wasn't dominating like I thought he would be. Just my opinion.

"#75 Brody Thomas 12 OG 5'11 250 (from Hopkin's website)"

If he grew an inch or 2 and put on 10-20lbs of muscle he'd be a nice walk on addition...pending his consistency throughout the year. But from what I've seen the kid's damn good!

Top Bottom