Beating ranked teams

goldenboy

Reaction score
If MSU continues to struggle and ends up unranked, do we still get credit for beating a top 20 team, or whatever MSU is ranked at the end of the year?

Yes, but I think what is more important is the win over a team and where their NET ranking would sit. That changes day by day. So whether or not Mich St is ranked anymore in the year we'll want their NET ranking to stay good by them winning some games.

If MSU continues to struggle and ends up unranked, do we still get credit for beating a top 20 team, or whatever MSU is ranked at the end of the year?
Well quad 1 wins can become quad 2 wins and vice versa. Does that help ?

Yes, but I think what is more important is the win over a team and where their NET ranking would sit. That changes day by day. So whether or not Mich St is ranked anymore in the year we'll want their NET ranking to stay good by them winning some games.

I am getting tired of checking every day or two if the net ranking is out yet. Are they even doing net this year?

I am getting tired of checking every day or two if the net ranking is out yet. Are they even doing net this year?
I think they started publishing the NET at the beginning of December in previous years. I hope they start it at the beginning of January this time which might make sense given the season was delayed 3-4 weeks this year.

Try KenPom. That's not a replica but it a pretty good comparison. I think St. Louis is about 30. WI was top 5 and State was in top 20 or so a few days ago.

Well quad 1 wins can become quad 2 wins and vice versa. Does that help ?
The quad wins system is especially dumb when you consider beating the 74th best team in an empty gym on the road is a better win than the 26th beat team at home in an empty gym

Try KenPom. That's not a replica but it a pretty good comparison. I think St. Louis is about 30. WI was top 5 and State was in top 20 or so a few days ago.
Ken Pom is the closest thing to the net I would guess

Whichever metric you use (rank, NET, KenPom) is their number when you beat them that counts, or where they end up at the end of the year?

Yes but it is not meaningful yet and even less so with some teams playing only one or two games total
The quad wins system is especially dumb when you consider beating the 74th best team in an empty gym on the road is a better win than the 26th beat team at home in an empty gym
None of them is perfect. It was meant to find a way to look at teams that did not play each other. We can not go by fans eye test. Just win 25-30 games, be great and you will never have to worry about it.

When tournament time comes......what will matter is what "quad" they are in. But when ranked wins are talked about....it will still be considered a ranked win. For example....during the Iowa game.....they mentioned that the Gophers were going for their second top five home win in just a little over a year. They were referring to the Gophers beating (at the time) #3 Ohio State last year. Of course....OSU ended up not being nearly that good.

Whichever metric you use (rank, NET, KenPom) is their number when you beat them that counts, or where they end up at the end of the year?
Rank counts when you beat them but NET, Kenpom, quad, all matter after a team's full body of work at selection time.

Essentially the only thing you hope is that every team on your schedule wins every game they play outside of playing us. If Illinois wins the B1G our loss doesnt look as bad, if St Louis dominates the A10 our win looks even better.

Look no further than Richmond, a few weeks ago they beat Kentucky and everyone vaulted them up the rankings and said how awesome they were. Well now Kentucky is 1-6 so that win looks pretty meh.

Essentially the only thing you hope is that every team on your schedule wins every game they play outside of playing us. If Illinois wins the B1G our loss doesnt look as bad, if St Louis dominates the A10 our win looks even better.

Look no further than Richmond, a few weeks ago they beat Kentucky and everyone vaulted them up the rankings and said how awesome they were. Well now Kentucky is 1-6 so that win looks pretty meh.
Better than Illinois winning the B1G would be for the Gophers to stay at or near the top of the B1G standings and hand Illinois a loss on the 20th of February.

A late February victory over a team that beat you in December looks good to the committee making selections in the beginning of March. Especially if both teams have good records.

Yes but it is not meaningful yet and even less so with some teams playing only one or two games total

None of them is perfect. It was meant to find a way to look at teams that did not play each other. We can not go by fans eye test. Just win 25-30 games, be great and you will never have to worry about it.
We have a 27 game schedule this year so..... 25 - 30 wins would be amazing.

Especially 30 :)
It's not that hard.
26-1 Regular Season
3-0 in the B1G tournament Bubble.
And then we would only have to beat a #16 seed in the tourney for #30!

It's a piece of cake mathematically! ;)

It's not that hard.
26-1 Regular Season
3-0 in the B1G tournament Bubble.
And then we would only have to beat a #16 seed in the tourney for #30!

It's a piece of cake mathematically! ;)
1609348208606.png

Top Bottom