Beat Iowa. Beat Wisconsin.

mngg11

Reaction score
Most of you know I've tried to be positive and hope for/predict the best possible outcomes for this team from the start, but last night put a cannonball through the hull of my expectations for the season. It feels like a wash. That was by far the worst team on our schedule in terms of morale, coaching experience, and talent. They friggin lost everything in the offseason due to endemic homophobic hazing within the program for God's sake and had no business coming back from down 21 in the second half.

Just beat Iowa and Wisconsin and try to play spoiler against Michigan or OSU. I feel like that's all we have to play for with how the defense absolutely collapsed last night. I'm sure I'll fill my cup up to half full as the week goes on but something feels really wrong with this program right now. We can't keep having these inexplicable losses to shit teams year after year, and it's become a trend, not a one off.

It’s been a trend for decades. It’s baked into the marrow of this program. The idea that we will beat our two rivals when that never happens is wishful thinking. I hope we do it but have zero faith. Constantly embarrassed by the choices this team makes and how pathetic they look when they need even basic competence.

Yeah beating our rivals, during yet another year where they are fully beatable, would be great. Is there even one piece of information that says this will happen? Best not to hope too much.

If they become bowl eligible it’ll be a miracle. And it’s not going to happen beating Iowa and Wisconsin

Bowl game eligibility was going to be tough when we started with this schedule and the injuries and lack of experience we have at certain positions. After that nightmare, there is not a chance in hell we are playing in a bowl game this year. And honestly, that might be the best thing as that might be what gets PJ to make the changes that are needed in the staff

I think 2023 can be like 2021.

Let's review 2021:

bNserEe.png

Now, let's do some equating:

2021 Ohio St = 2023 UNC
2021 BG = 2023 NW

Assume we will lose to Mich and Ohio State this year (don't care about the score, a loss is a loss).

But that means we can still make it an 8-4 year, and arguably a better version than 2021 in terms of who we lost to.

Better bowl game, manage to win that for another 9 win season.

Not a special season, but hardly a disaster.

Let's review 2021:

bNserEe.png

2021 Ohio St = 2023 UNC
2021 BG = 2023 NW

Assume we will lose to Mich and Ohio State this year (don't care about the score, a loss is a loss).

But that means we can still make it an 8-4 year, and arguably a better version than 2021 in terms of who we lost to.

Agree, we’ve seen enough low lows and high highs one never knows how the team will perform down the stretch. The rest of the west has major issues as well including our two big rivals. It would salvage the season. This isn’t a great team but has a reasonable chance to be significantly better with more experience.

The season is over, except for the Iowa Wisconsin games. Entire west is a dumpster fire.

Lose every games, don’t care at this point EXCEPT

if we can get the JUG and PIG back plus we keep the AXE!

We’ll be 5-7 and not bowl eligible, but I’ll take the consolation season.

Iowa and Wisconsin are our most important games every year for the most part. Gophers also get a shot at both OSU and Michigan. I'm sure that Fleck and staff know that they have to make up for yesterday's failure.....and they are going to have quite a few chances to do it.

Let's review 2021:

bNserEe.png

2021 Ohio St = 2023 UNC
2021 BG = 2023 NW

I think 8 wins is very much in the realm of possibility. People saying the season is over apparently have a very short term memory from recent seasons. Almost every season has had a head-scratching loss early on. Some were obviously worse than others, but each year turned out with at least a bowl.

2022: Purdue (yes, they were the West champs, but Minnesota played terribly in a very winnable game).

2021: BG

2020: Covid year

2019: No terrible losses, but eeked out wins against GSU, SDSU, and Fresno State. Seriously, 2019 was awesome, but if one play goes differently in each of those games, they’re 0-3.

2018: Illinois and Nebraska

This team could be terrible, or it could be yet another unexplainable loss in an otherwise decent season. Welcome to the Fleck experience.

Iowa isn't good. Minnesota can easily win that game.

Wisconsin on the other hand has a good offense. Gophers will have their work cut out for them to retain the axe.

Top Bottom