Baylor vs Minnesota

I'm just glad the gophers made it this far. Two wins in the NCAA's for this team is nothing to be ashamed of, IMO.

Well two wins against less than stellar competition (Baylor really didn't belong) but still it's a good building block. Now if the U administration would just get behind the program things might move forward. Bottom line is that the Dome isn't the answer unless the Gophers really use it to their advantage by beefing up their OOC schedule by inviting other colder/cooler weather teams to play inside earlier in the season. I have never understood why only the DQ tourney has quality teams coming in. With the economy and travel costs why not run a spring break week inside the Dome for good northern teams that normally go to Florida/Texas/California?

Finally someone has to fire up the fans to attend the games...seeing attendances of 400/500 doesn't help convince the NCAA to place a regional in Minneapolis. Even on this board baseball is listed as "other sports" and on the Daily Gopher site it is listed as a "minor sport". A change in mindset needs to take place.

I agree about the dome. I do not know why Anderson plays more non-conference games there.

And it isn't just about games, the Gophers have the chance to practice on a real field while every other northern team is practicing in a gym or indoor football facility.

Actually each year more and more non conference and conference games are being played in the dome, unfortunately other than the Dairy Queen classic, not much top competition. Have to go back to 2002-2003 season, when Fullerton came to town for a 3 game series. 06-07 brought in Missouri State, who was pretty good at the time and 07-08 California, New Mexico and Missouri played at the dome. I am sure it is not easy to get Southern teams to come north even to play in the dome and certainly the Gophers are expected to return the favor for a year. Nebraska, even with there success and facilities have gotten just Arkansas and Alabama to come to Haymarket in the last 5 years. The rest of the non conference home schedule is pretty poor.

The southern teams don't want to come play here. They know that Northern teams like the Gophers need to head south to get their games in. The Gophers could bring in some terrible teams, but Coach Anderson is always looking to play tough non-conference schedules. They could try to get a team like ASU here or someone else, but ASU knows that they could play homes games against other competion instead of traveling here.

On top of that, teams are scared to come play in the dome because they are not used to playing in that enviroment. Give us to much of a advantage they think.

Top Bottom