Battle and Cooper Listed as Graduating Seniors Today

I think you'd prefer if Cooper and Battle didn't walk. Meaning we'd already know they're coming back.

But as others have said, just because they're walking doesn't mean they won't come back.

I believe BSF was part of the Senior Day festivities in football and he's coming back. Could be both don't know at this point.

BSF was not, Nubin was though. He was really torn leading up to that day, then ultimately decided to come back.

It's rare for players to participate in SR day then come back, but it happens once in a while.

Congratulations on your time as Gophers!

Next year, Ihnen and Fox can replace what Battle did, especially moreso on defense.

Johnson needs to find 2 good guards in the portal.

If he does that, this team could be solid next year, assuming Ihnen and Fox are healthy.
The two injured players may provide equivalent or better defense, but I see no possible way they replace Battle’s offense. If either of them see productive minutes on the floor, I think we take it as a bonus. Nearly three years without playing should not elicit oozing confidence.

They have their flaws, but they're still two of the top 3 players on this team. With no Evans, and those two leaving, the difficult task of making next year's team competitive just got a lot more difficult.
Yep. Ugh. Cooper or Payne leaving would be the final nail in the coffin.

The two injured players may provide equivalent or better defense, but I see no possible way they replace Battle’s offense. If either of them see productive minutes on the floor, I think we take it as a bonus. Nearly three years without playing should not elicit oozing confidence.
Fox is no outsider shooter which is what we lack. We now almost need Treyton Thompson to return.

Congratulations on your time as Gophers!
Next year, Ihnen and Fox can replace what Battle did, especially moreso on defense.
Johnson needs to find 2 good guards in the portal.

If he does that, this team could be solid next year, assuming Ihnen and Fox are healthy.

Unfortunately, the definition of "solid" for this program under this current leadership is most definitely different than what it would be for other programs.

BSF was not, Nubin was though. He was really torn leading up to that day, then ultimately decided to come back.

It's rare for players to participate in SR day then come back, but it happens once in a while.
I knew it was someone. Thanks.

I would agree that it WAS rare. But, that was before COVID year. More recently (because of COVID and other factors) more and more players have their degree's, are classified as seniors but have eligiblilty left. If I was on this team, was a senior and knew (99%) that I was coming back next year, I would still walk on senior night. Nothing to lose.

So you'd walk knowing you're going to do it again next year? That seems pretty strange.
Totally. Why?, because you don't know you are going to do it next year. COVID, cancel season, you get hurt, life, death, a whole slew of reasons that I might not (be able to) walk next year. If I end up walking twice, so be it. I'm sure the 1500 fans left in the barn will still cheer pretty loud for me whether it's my first senior walk or my second.

By the time Fox does his senior walk he will be 33 years old, married with 2 kids, have his PHD and be a tenured prof at the U. But, it will be his first walk.

I agree. But I thought when Battle ran over and hugged his mom after the last game it looked like a thank you and good bye of sorts. No idea why but I would put my money on him leaving after this year.

Time to go make some money !!!

Yep. Ugh. Cooper or Payne leaving would be the final nail in the coffin.
Assume you meant Garcia not Cooper?

This roster was going to need an overhaul of some kind in the off season....so if in fact Cooper and Battle are both done (going to assume Thompson is gone as well).

PG - TBD - #1 priority for the portal
SG - Carrington, Christie - Most likely need a portal SG as well
Wing - Ihnen, Betts, JOJ, Henley
PF/C - Payne, Garcia, Fox

9 spots filled, use the rest on 2 guards and a post guy of some kind and the team will be in decent shape to compete. Point guard will absolutely be the top priority above all others.

Well, you can be a "graduating senior" and still have college eligibility remaining. especially for athletes from the covid era.

If Battle, Cooper or both come out and say definitely "I'm not coming back for another season," then you have something concrete to discuss.

Battle and Cooper could be done playing college hoops - they could come back and play another year at MN - or they could (I think) go somewhere else as a grad transfer.

but until they make their intentions public, it's speculation.
I don’t think we would be celebrating them tonight if they were coming back next year

I would agree that it WAS rare. But, that was before COVID year. More recently (because of COVID and other factors) more and more players have their degree's, are classified as seniors but have eligiblilty left. If I was on this team, was a senior and knew (99%) that I was coming back next year, I would still walk on senior night. Nothing to lose.
Being labeled a "senior" on the roster is not the thing that justifies walking, anymore.

You only walk once. It's your "goodbye" to fans.

If you weren't certain you were coming back, then it would make sense to walk even though you had remaining eligibility left.

I believe both Cooper and Battle will be on the team next year.

Assume you meant Garcia not Cooper?

This roster was going to need an overhaul of some kind in the off season....so if in fact Cooper and Battle are both done (going to assume Thompson is gone as well).

PG - TBD - #1 priority for the portal
SG - Carrington, Christie - Most likely need a portal SG as well
Wing - Ihnen, Betts, JOJ, Henley
PF/C - Payne, Garcia, Fox

9 spots filled, use the rest on 2 guards and a post guy of some kind and the team will be in decent shape to compete. Point guard will absolutely be the top priority above all others.
Yes. Garcia

It was pretty clear at senior night that they are done. Only wish we could have got a little notice. The title “senior”doesn’t mean anything right now….thanks COVID.

Top Bottom