Basketball floor

Scrub

Reaction score
I was able watch my first Gopher men’s basketball game in several years, and frankly I was a little shocked at appearance of the “new” floor. In fact, I was a little disappointed that Minnesota would follow the fad of installing a unique, “different” kinds of basketball flooring. I found the game difficult to watch due to the brightness of the floor and lack of contrast. Can we get the old maroon-bordered floor back? Please?

This new floor sucks! Need the old one with the Maroon Borders and lane. Golden Gophers on the sidelines and Minnesota on the end lines. That floor is a classic!
They can keep the new finish on the floor, but I agree, let's get the maroon back all around the outside of the courts.

At least it's not Oregon.....which looks like a psoriasis outbreak.

I don't mind the floor, but maybe it would look alot better with maroon borders than the out of bounds also being so bright!

regarding maroon lanes - at least stay away from dueling maroon dicks, like the Memphis dueling blue dicks floor

new.png

New Floor

old.png
Old Floor

I do like The "M" instead of dribbling Goldie but without the Maroon Borders it really looks Boring.
Kind of reminds me of Indiana's no-nonsense floor. I just think they did too much to a tried and tested design.

Weird seeing the old pic. No visible scoreboard at center court and obviously different lights. Very yellow.

View attachment 7023

New Floor

View attachment 7024
Old Floor

I do like The "M" instead of dribbling Goldie but without the Maroon Borders it really looks Boring.
Kind of reminds me of Indiana's no-nonsense floor. I just think they did too much to a tried and tested design.
They very clearly got the maroon color wrong on the new floor, evidenced by the seats behind and the old floor under exactly the same lighting conditions. Too cheap to fix it.

They very clearly got the maroon color wrong on the new floor, evidenced by the seats behind and the old floor under exactly the same lighting conditions. Too cheap to fix it.
Someone had posted that the paint color is per the official color palette, so I figure it's the color palette that they got wrong. It's way too red.

Bring back dial telephones! Other than nostalgia that in may bring to some, the old floor is very stylistically challenged by today's standards. I say keep trying to make it the best based on today's expectations.

Someone had posted that the paint color is per the official color palette, so I figure it's the color palette that they got wrong. It's way too red.
Well I guess they’ll have to replace all the chair backs and bench tops then, so we can complete the transformation into Iowa State.

As someone who only gets to see it on tv, it sucks. There is work to be done at the ends and sides. Oh and as someone who was a decent shooter, perspective and lighting can make a big difference in depth perception and therefore shooting.

now that there is a thread - I also hate the color on TV. Doesn't really bother me in person.

Bring back dial telephones! Other than nostalgia that in may bring to some, the old floor is very stylistically challenged by today's standards. I say keep trying to make it the best based on today's expectations.

I didn't realize white floors were more trendy than yellow floors, someone should let those hicks in Brooklyn know the floor at the Barclays Center is so outdated.

Not a fan of the new floor, looks bad on TV and in my opinion it doesn't fit with an classic older arena like the Barn.

I didn't realize white floors were more trendy than yellow floors, someone should let those hicks in Brooklyn know the floor at the Barclays Center is so outdated.
Yellow is outdated, unless modernized with other elements. I agree the color of the floor today can take on some pretty funny hues depending on the tv.

They don't have to go back to the old color, but please do something to darken it. It looks terrible on television, especially when they wear white uniforms.

I was able watch my first Gopher men’s basketball game in several years, and frankly I was a little shocked at appearance of the “new” floor. In fact, I was a little disappointed that Minnesota would follow the fad of installing a unique, “different” kinds of basketball flooring. I found the game difficult to watch due to the brightness of the floor and lack of contrast. Can we get the old maroon-bordered floor back? Please?
I wholeheartedly agree!

Agree that it's better in person than TV, but it really looks worse when the Gophers wear white uniforms. The gold uniforms pop against that brighter floor, and it all looks great. Just one of many reasons to wear gold more often. The new floor isn't perfect, but it's better than the old yellow, dark floor.

I'm more than cool with the cleaner, less adorned marking scheme. I think it was intended to be retro and emulate the way the floor looked back in the 50s and 60s. But they went over the top and went pretentiously retro with the washed-out worn-looking color. If they could go back to some kind of normal wood grain and get the maroon paint hue right, I think we'd have something.

Agree that it's better in person than TV, but it really looks worse when the Gophers wear white uniforms. The gold uniforms pop against that brighter floor, and it all looks great. Just one of many reasons to wear gold more often. The new floor isn't perfect, but it's better than the old yellow, dark floor.
Ban the white uniforms at home.

I'm more than cool with the cleaner, less adorned marking scheme. I think it was intended to be retro and emulate the way the floor looked back in the 50s and 60s. But they went over the top and went pretentiously retro with the washed-out worn-looking color. If they could go back to some kind of normal wood grain and get the maroon paint hue right, I think we'd have something.
What bothers me the most is that the arena operations group doesn’t contact me before making these ill-considered changes. I could have warned them off this blunder. :mad:

Top Bottom