Bart Torvik's current Big Ten rankings followed by my estimation of conference SOS based on his rankings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score

Currently, Torvik has Big Ten teams ranked in this order. His rankings reflect offseason personnel gains & losses. Obviously, these numbers will change throughout the summer.

1 UCLA
2 Purdue
3 MSU
4 Indiana
5 USC
6 Michigan
7 Rutgers
8 Northwestern
9 OSU
10 Nebraska
11 Wisconsin
12 Oregon
13 Maryland
14 Iowa
15 Illinois
16 Minnesota
17 Washington
18 PSU

SOS Rankings Easiest to Toughest (in case of tie, toughest "2-play" opponent listed)
1 Wisconsin (Iowa)
2 Northwestern (Maryland)
3 MSU (Michigan)
4 UCLA
5 Nebraska
6 Indiana (Purdue)
7 USC (UCLA)
8 Rutgers
9 OSU
10 Minnesota
11 Iowa (Northwestern)
12 Purdue (Indiana)
13 Maryland
14 Oregon
15 PSU
16 Illinois
17 Michigan
18 Washington

Torvik currently projecting the Gophers at #81 nationally, 17-14 overall, 7-13 in Big Ten.

Last edited:

Wouldn't make the B1G Tournament. Yikes.

There can’t be much difference in SOS with all 18 in the current top 88 (and 15 in top 53).

Torvik is taking the current rosters/ratings from RosterCast, and ordering them based on that. If MN adds Patterson and Edmonds, our roster strength jumps from #81 to #65 and falls a few teams higher in the projected standings and anticipated W-L record. Its early and a lot of guys haven't committed. Although fun, these are even less reliable than pre-season projections which are also guesses from experts.
Another note: At #65 roster/rank, MN BARTHAG power .8250 is right where Oregon, Virg. Tech, Iowa, FAU were at the end of last year.

Last edited:

Go look at their current roster. They may add to it, but without the rapist, Domask, Hawkins, and to a lesser extent Dainja, they have a lot to replace.
Wasn't the rape charges dropped or am I misremembering....

No. He won his appeal to be let back on the team while awaiting his day in court.
Just recently, like a couple days ago, it seemed like the DNA found on the victim was not a match for Terrence Shannon.

No. He won his appeal to be let back on the team while awaiting his day in court.
I'm against automatic suspension upon accusation.

Especially when the alleged rape takes place in 30 seconds in the middle of a crowded bar.

Top Bottom