Barrington Morris soft verbal...

Wasn't this kid, because of his switch to LB, supposed to get offers from teams like Alabama and LSU?

I had to laugh when I read his offer list. It includes Western Michigan which several of other verbals also received offers from them. Maybe Kill's secret is that when he sees a Western Michigan offer he knows they are good.

Must be what Syracuse, UCONN, and Texas Tech did too.

There is nothing nice about that offer list....

No one said it was outstanding. The guy has 5 BCS offers. What % of HS players in the country have 5 BCS offers? .0001%?

There is nothing nice about that offer list....

Seriously? Quality offer list if you ask me. Not sure why we all think the Rivals offer lists are always accurate either. Morris has also been offered by K St and Maryland; this would be a heck of a get if we end up with him.

what is a soft verbal? you are either committed to a school or you are not. a soft verbal is a made up phrase to make people who pay for content feel better about what they are getting. it's like a car lease. they call it lease so people feel better about not having it called what it is, a car rental, just longer than a few days on vacation. no such thing a soft verbal. if he's still looking around or taking visits then hes not a verbal. is pirsig a soft verbal? no because he ended his recruitment. is mcdonald a soft verbal? no because he's looking. he's just not a verbal.

It is nice to see

People here seem to get their undies in a bundle if a recruit doesn't have a lot of stars or the "right" offers. It is interesting to note that in the depth chart for the USC game the following 2011 recruits were recruited by Kill and Company:
  • Malcolm Moulton
  • John Rabe
  • Marcus Jones
  • Drew Goodger
  • Foster Bush
  • Ge'Shun Harris
  • Michael Amaefula
  • Cedric Thompson
  • Derrik Wells
  • Grayson Levine
  • K. Hawthorne

By being included on this list these players could make a contribution this year. Not a bad first class from a guy that didn't have a lot of time. In addition, there are three other 2012 recruits that were recruited before Kill arrived that are expected to make a contribution this year. They are Shortell, Devin Crawford-Tufts, Tommy Olson.

From this I think we can safetly say that Kill and his staff seem to know a lot more about recruiting than the experts on this blog. Sure, stars and offer lists are nice but having a staff that knows what they are doing is priceless.

Great point Killjoy. Also add Derrick Wells to the list.

I have total confidence in Coach Kill and his staff. Enough can't be said about how he has achieved success in his other HC gigs. The man knows what he wants and needs, trusts his staff to find his type of player, has total confidence is his S&C staff and knows how he and his staff will coach them.

Coach Kill said that he pays zero attention to player rankings. So neither do I.

I never said he was going to be a a crappy player. His offer list honestly just is not good. Take a look at Notre Dame's commitment list--You will see nice offer lists there. You cannot get excited seeing Syracuse, Illinois and Connecticut as his major BCS offers. What if coach Kill could land players like Notre Dame and Michigan have this year? Having the ability to coach "up"** players like that would be unreal. Problem is, the coaches that are getting those players have that ability.....Kill isn't the only one who can do it.

We are all hoping that he will be successful and show players who are on the fence about us that he is capable and can turn the program around. If Wisconsin and Iowa can land nice talent, there should be no reason we can't if the program is heading in the right direction.

** I despise using that word as it makes those players seem like they are untalented which is not the case.

People here seem to get their undies in a bundle if a recruit doesn't have a lot of stars or the "right" offers. It is interesting to note that in the depth chart for the USC game the following 2011 recruits were recruited by Kill and Company:
  • Malcolm Moulton
  • John Rabe
  • Marcus Jones
  • Drew Goodger
  • Foster Bush
  • Ge'Shun Harris
  • Michael Amaefula
  • Cedric Thompson
  • Derrik Wells
  • Grayson Levine
  • K. Hawthorne

By being included on this list these players could make a contribution this year. Not a bad first class from a guy that didn't have a lot of time. In addition, there are three other 2012 recruits that were recruited before Kill arrived that are expected to make a contribution this year. They Shortell, Devin Crawford-Tufts, Tommy Olson.

From this I think we can safetly say that Kill and his staff seem to know a lot more about recruiting than the experts on this blog. Sure, stars and offer lists are nice but having a staff that knows what they are doing is priceless.

And the other staffs just don't have any clue what they are doing or something? They have landed at big time universities because they are capable of doing that also. At some point you have to start landing big talent or you will not make it out of the middle of the pack. I mean you might get lucky here and there and have a really good team but it will not be consistent. Building up less talented players only can take you so far before you run into Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State and Wisconsin etc etc etc.

People here seem to get their undies in a bundle if a recruit doesn't have a lot of stars or the "right" offers. It is interesting to note that in the depth chart for the USC game the following 2011 recruits that were recruited by Kill and Company:
  • Malcolm Moulton
  • John Rabe
  • Marcus Jones
  • Drew Goodger
  • Foster Bush
  • Ge'Shun Harris
  • Michael Amaefula
  • Cedric Thompson
  • Derrik Wells
  • Grayson Levine
  • K. Hawthorne

By being included on this list these players could make a contribution this year. Not a bad first class from a guy that didn't have a lot of time. In addition, there are three other 2012 recruits that were recruited before Kill arrived that are expected to make a contribution this year. They Shortell, Devin Crawford-Tufts, Tommy Olson.

+1

TTU and UConn have had good teams the past couple of years. Illinois had its moment and Syracuse.....well they had a decent year last year.

I guess I consider it an offer list worthy of a BCS level recruit. By no means a bad offer list.

UConn
2010 - 8-5
2009 - 8-5
2008 - 8-5
2007 - 9-4

Syracuse
2010 - 8-5
2009 - gross
2008 - yuck
2007 - awful

Illinois
2010 - 7-6
2009 - 3-9
2008 - 5-7
2007 - 9-4 Rose Bowl

Texas Tech
2010 - 8-5
2009 - 8-4
2008 - 11-2
2007 - 9-4

Why the hell is Notre Dame even entering this conversation? Anyone who thinks Minnesota can, now or ever, even come close to the same stratosphere as Notre Dame in recruiting is delusional and/or doesn't know anything about how recruiting works. In the Rivals era, which now covers 11 recruiting cycles (counting 2012), here is the exhaustive list of players who had offers from both Minnesota and Notre Dame, and chose to sign with Minnesota:

(crickets)

If I'm the head football coach at the University of Minnesota in the year 2011, and you tell me I can have a full class in which every recruit has 5 BCS offers (doesn't matter from whom), I take it in a heartbeat. No questions asked. The fact that someone even desires to debate this is ridiculous.

(P.S. Over the last 10-15 years, those "poor" BCS programs have all been better, on average, than Minnesota.)

started promising, but now it's another dumb@$$ recruiting argument thread.

Why the hell is Notre Dame even entering this conversation? Anyone who thinks Minnesota can, now or ever, even come close to the same stratosphere as Notre Dame in recruiting is delusional and/or doesn't know anything about how recruiting works. In the Rivals era, which now covers 11 recruiting cycles (counting 2012), here is the exhaustive list of players who had offers from both Minnesota and Notre Dame, and chose to sign with Minnesota:

(crickets)

If I'm the head football coach at the University of Minnesota in the year 2011, and you tell me I can have a full class in which every recruit has 5 BCS offers (doesn't matter from whom), I take it in a heartbeat. No questions asked. The fact that someone even desires to debate this is ridiculous.

(P.S. Over the last 10-15 years, those "poor" BCS programs have all been better, on average, than Minnesota.)

I guess Notre Dame has learned how to do less with more...:cool:

Anyway, back to the soft verbal, I guess it is what it is. Hard to blame the recruits if they are trying to hold out for a more preferential scholarship, yet not lose what they have. As the season progresses, some of the top schools I am sure try to go to the next level recruit to fill in what they missed.

As for the not paying attention to stars, I can appreciate the sentiment and I suspect there is some sort of effect on the players that lets them know the Coaches recognize their talents and not that they are settled for athletes.

With a number of players I suspect the difference in rankings can be compensated for by 5 things...

1. proper coaching
2. heart - sometimes players have to will themselves to be better
3. commitment - come hell, high water, or spring training, they are committed to improving
4. character - they don't JewJew themselves up...
5. talent that fits the system

With these, the star system is not as important, though still somewhat helpful in evaluating the talent.

For anyone who may be wondering, here is the exhaustive list of players who had offers from both Minnesota and Notre Dame, and chose to sign (or commit, for 2012 recruits) with Notre Dame:

John Carlson
Ryan Harris
Joey Hiben
Matt Carufel
Sergio Brown
Robert Hughes
Michael Floyd
Jonas Gray
Darius Fleming
Sean Cwynar
Tyler Eifert
Cameron Roberson
Bennett Jackson
Jalen Brown
Anthony Rabasa
Matthew Hegarty
Nick Martin
Cam McDaniel
Eilar Hardy
David Perkins
Romeo Okwara
Sheldon Day
John Turner

For those of you keeping score, what this means is that Notre Dame is 23-0 (1.000) against Minnesota in head-to-head recruiting battles in the Rivals era. But hey, let's keep talking about the offer lists of Notre Dame players as though it is at all relevant to the offer lists of Minnesota players.

(crickets)

Not reading anything else after the first sentence it already made you look like a moron -- Notre Dame came up because they actually have recruits with good offer lists. It was an example of a team that had recruits with good offer lists. Said it twice for you..hopefully you can comprehend that? Someone had said Barrington had a good offer list which I did not agree with. So I used an example of a player with a good offer list. My mother is a ND alum as is my brother and sister and I have been a huge fan of them my whole life for those reasons so they were used as the example. Never did I infer that we had to beat Notre Dame out for recruits.

Secondly, you must have a very short memory span, for you must not remember Brewsters First recruiting class which was nationally ranked. Taken in a heart beat indeed.

Third, where did I ever imply every recruit for the gophers had to have at least 5 BCS offers? I said his offer list was weak. I also said that if we can't consistently land players who are more highly regarded with better offer lists (which means much more than star rankings) we will never compete in the upper echelon of this conference.

How you could turn what I previously said into B!tching and moaning is beyond me, but you have always been good at it so I shouldn't be that shocked.

For anyone who may be wondering, here is the exhaustive list of players who had offers from both Minnesota and Notre Dame, and chose to sign (or commit, for 2012 recruits) with Notre Dame:

John Carlson
Ryan Harris
Joey Hiben
Matt Carufel
Sergio Brown
Robert Hughes
Michael Floyd
Jonas Gray
Darius Fleming
Sean Cwynar
Tyler Eifert
Cameron Roberson
Bennett Jackson
Jalen Brown
Anthony Rabasa
Matthew Hegarty
Nick Martin
Cam McDaniel
Eilar Hardy
David Perkins
Romeo Okwara
Sheldon Day
John Turner

For those of you keeping score, what this means is that Notre Dame is 23-0 (1.000) against Minnesota in head-to-head recruiting battles in the Rivals era. But hey, let's keep talking about the offer lists of Notre Dame players as though it is at all relevant to the offer lists of Minnesota players.

Thank you for providing meaningless information to this thread. Although I am extremely happy with the recent Jarron Jones commitment. Hopefully now we can land Keith Marshall, Byron marshall, Angholor and a few big O-lineman and this class will surely be top 5. I thought all along Jones had been a silent verbal and I was correct. Happy days.

what is a soft verbal? you are either committed to a school or you are not. a soft verbal is a made up phrase to make people who pay for content feel better about what they are getting. it's like a car lease. they call it lease so people feel better about not having it called what it is, a car rental, just longer than a few days on vacation. no such thing a soft verbal. if he's still looking around or taking visits then hes not a verbal. is pirsig a soft verbal? no because he ended his recruitment. is mcdonald a soft verbal? no because he's looking. he's just not a verbal.

My guess is soft becomes firm if USC doesn't pile drive us and we win the next 3 non-conf. games. Kids want to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Someone had said Barrington had a good offer list which I did not agree with. So I used an example of a player with a good offer list.

"Good" is a relative term. For a Minnesota recruit? Yes, it is absolutely a "good" offer list. If he does commit here, he will have the 2nd most BCS offers behind Pirsig. On what planet is your 2nd best recruit not "good" by your own team's standards? Bringing up Notre Dame is completely and totally irrelevant because, as I've said, we never have, and never will, recruit on the level of Notre Dame. If Notre Dame is your barometer, then Minnesota will pretty much never ever have a "good" recruit.

Secondly, you must have a very short memory span, for you must not remember Brewsters First recruiting class which was nationally ranked. Taken in a heart beat indeed.

Yes, let's revisit that class, shall we? Let's keep in mind that, by Minnesota standards, it was the BEST, BY FAR, and no other class even comes remotely close.

Total commits: 29
Total number of BCS offers (including Minnesota): 117
Mean number of BCS offers per recruit: 4.03
Median number of BCS offers per recruit: 4

Morris' offer list would have tied him for 9th in MINNESOTA'S BEST-EVER CLASS (BY FAR) in the HISTORY of the program during the Rivals era. Current starters from that class, and their quantity of BCS offers:

Gray 9
Cooper 8
Kirksey 5
Stoudermire 5
Lair 4
Wilhite 3
Salamon 2
Tinsley 2
McKnight 1

In other words, tied for 2nd-most offers on our current defense with two guys who will challenge for honorable mention all-conference, and ahead of all the rest except Cooper. Yup, not a good offer list at all.

Third, where did I ever imply every recruit for the gophers had to have at least 5 BCS offers? I said his offer list was weak.

Context. Compared to Notre Dame? Yes. But once again, we are never, ever, ever, ever, going to compete with Notre Dame in recruiting, so what's the point in bringing it up? We're not allowed to celebrate an offer list that is unquestionably "good" by Minnesota standards? There's no in-between? It's either "Notre Dame good" or it's automatically Division I-AA quality?

I also said that if we can't consistently land players who are more highly regarded with better offer lists (which means much more than star rankings) we will never compete in the upper echelon of this conference.

I agree. I hope we get to the point where we can do that. It's not going to happen anytime soon, so what is the point of holding Minnesota to a ridiculous, non-attainable standard? Are you a fan, or no? Assuming that you are, since you're on this site, how can you cheer for a team that will recruit 1-2 players per year who are "good" by your standards? Are you a masochist?

How you could turn what I previously said into B!tching and moaning is beyond me, but you have always been good at it so I shouldn't be that shocked.

I love how people resort to ad hominem when they make a terrible point and have nothing to back it up. Absolutely gotta love it.

I guess Notre Dame has learned how to do less with more...:cool:

:D Nice.

Anyway, back to the soft verbal, I guess it is what it is. Hard to blame the recruits if they are trying to hold out for a more preferential scholarship, yet not lose what they have. As the season progresses, some of the top schools I am sure try to go to the next level recruit to fill in what they missed.

From reading some of Barrington's tweets, it seems like his soft verbal is more a case of wanting to be sure he has made the right decision. Or rather, simply being nervous right after making a big decision and hoping you didn't make the wrong decision. It is of course a major decision in a young person's life. Though I agree in principle with what you are saying here.

With a number of players I suspect the difference in rankings can be compensated for by 5 things...

1. proper coaching
2. heart - sometimes players have to will themselves to be better
3. commitment - come hell, high water, or spring training, they are committed to improving
4. character - they don't JewJew themselves up...
5. talent that fits the system

With these, the star system is not as important, though still somewhat helpful in evaluating the talent.

+1

I love how people resort to ad hominem when they make a terrible point and have nothing to back it up. Absolutely gotta love it. -- You have got to be kidding me right now. Are you seriously that blind? Dude you literally Sh!t your pants every time someone says something that you don't agree with -most notably when it is anything negative about the gopher program or Kill. Sorry I do not have time to go and re-evaluate every sentence you said in the previous post and grasp at straws at best like you did but I just may end up doing it because it cracks me up to see how serious you get. Anyways. Back to work; need to get off so I can catch the maht game tonight.

The next time my son hits a weak ground-out to third base and says "Dad, didn't I do good?" I'm going to say, "No! It was terrible! Albert Pujols would've jerked it into the left field seats! Get back into the batting cage, you worthless P.O.S.!!!"

Sounds about right, doesn't it?

The next time my son hits a weak ground-out to third base and says "Dad, didn't I do good?" I'm going to say, "No! It was terrible! Albert Pujols would've jerked it into the left field seats! Get back into the batting cage, you worthless P.O.S.!!!"

Sounds about right, doesn't it?

I couldn't resist saying this because it finally came to me, but you are definitely the pantherhawk of the gopher fan base.

I couldn't resist saying this because it finally came to me, but you are definitely the pantherhawk of the gopher fan base.

How on Earth do you figure? I have never been to another team's fan forum, never friended other team's random recruits on Facebook, never visited other cities' newspapers and lambasted their team, etc., etc. and will never do any of those things.

I also enjoy how earlier you said "Sorry I do not have time to go and re-evaluate every sentence you said in the previous post and grasp at straws at best like you did," and yet you have time to continue to post in this thread.

Top Bottom