Badgers win the big ten

Defense. They do it pretty damn well. I note that because if we did it like that we would not be in the situation we are in.

Nothing to do with defense. Indiana was simply missing everything. They gifted that game to Wisconsin.

They have just two players i would want to see on Minnesota, Trice and Potter. Trice only because we have no back up PG. Potter is very explosive and tough.

There is no doubt GG can coach but I dislike the constipated, rigid play you see from Wisconsin and Virginia. I could never be a fan of wisconsin, and would not desire that kind of program, winning or not.

Barf

On a positive note, you don't have to worry about the winning part.

On the style of play, what is your favorite part about the 3 extra possessions the Gophers get a game?

On a positive note, you don't have to worry about the winning part.

On the style of play, what is your favorite part about the 3 extra possessions the Gophers get a game?
Most of the time the fans in the Kohl Center, in their 1982 era sweaters, look like they do not want to be there. Throwback misery to me.

They have just two players i would want to see on Minnesota, Trice and Potter. Trice only because we have no back up PG. Potter is very explosive and tough.

There is no doubt GG can coach but I dislike the constipated, rigid play you see from Wisconsin and Virginia. I could never be a fan of wisconsin, and would not desire that kind of program, winning or not.

Barf
I think if you objectively looked at the style of play manifested by the total score you would find most successful teams care about defense and value each possession.
If you are looking at play ground basketball I have not seen much of it today watching games.

We now have the worst B1G champion in the history of the B1G.

Kentucky, Kansas,
and even Duke play a way more fluid, free style than Wisconsin and uva show.

I think if you objectively looked at the style of play manifested by the total score you would find most successful teams care about defense and value each possession.
If you are looking at play ground basketball I have not seen much of it today watching games.
As far as defense goes, flopping constantly, and restricting movement do not count as defense in my book. The game as currently officiated rewards teams like wisconsin and is the root issue more so than Gard and Bennetts.

Al McGuire, Nolan Richardson, and and Tarkanian were not the same, but they would not recognize this ugly UVA, wisconsin type game. Hell, even Lute Olson did not push this awful style. Cannot believe top recruits like it either.

As far as defense goes, flopping constantly, and restricting movement do not count as defense in my book. The game as currently officiated rewards teams like wisconsin and is the root issue more so than Gard and Bennetts.

Al McGuire, Nolan Richardson, and and Tarkanian were not the same, but they would not recognize this ugly UVA, wisconsin type game. Hell, even Lute Olson did not push this awful style. Cannot believe top recruits like it either.

You must not watch much Big 10 basketball if you don't think every team is restricting movement.

I find it hard to believe if the Gophers had the success of the Badgers over the past 20 years you would be unhappy because of the lack of possessions. Some people don't care about winning though, so what do I know.

How is that running and pressing style working out for the Gophers?

UVA does not flop or restrict movement, they rarely foul. You must not understand the Pack Line defense. Davison does flop. But UVA was a offensive firepower last year and what left for the NBA after a National Title left Bennett no choice but to lead with defense to win. Jerry west calls it the best basketball he watches, Pitino's dad watches UVA closely, he loves Bennett. Recruits love winning, learning how to play and making the NBA. If i were you i would never watch UVA. They sell out, donations are huge, waiting list for season tickets. It is all about the coaching.

UVA does not flop or restrict movement, they rarely foul. You must not understand the Pack Line defense. Davison does flop. But UVA was a offensive firepower last year and what left for the NBA after a National Title left Bennett no choice but to lead with defense to win. Jerry west calls it the best basketball he watches, Pitino's dad watches UVA closely, he loves Bennett. Recruits love winning, learning how to play and making the NBA. If i were you i would never watch UVA. They sell out, donations are huge, waiting list for season tickets. It is all about the coaching.

If the NBA played UVA style basketball the ratings would go downhill in a hurry. Nice pivot to UVA, as Wisconsin was second only to the previous incarnation of Duke (that would be "old" coach K, who now has changed his philosophy) in being known for constant, rewarded flopping.

I'll keep watching Kentucky, Kansas,, or any program that plays looser basketball and empowers the players to take risks and make big plays while not putting the viewers into a coma.

If the NBA played UVA style basketball the ratings would go downhill in a hurry. Nice pivot to UVA, as Wisconsin was second only to the previous incarnation of Duke (that would be "old" coach K, who now has changed his philosophy) in being known for constant, rewarded flopping.

I'll keep watching Kentucky, Kansas,, or any program that plays looser basketball and empowers the players to take risks and make big plays while not putting the viewers into a coma.
UVA fans do not care about the NBA other than their championship players getting checks from the NBA. They care about winning. They embrace defensive stops, sell outs, taking quality shots, buying courtside seats for 250,000, donors that pay off stadiums, growing the endowment and winning. Watch what you want.

I would say Pitino has outcoached just about everyone one of the Big Ten coaches on a given night. That is part of the problem for me...what the hell happens on other nights?
He has gotten embarrassed by those same guys on other nights.
He has out coached Painter, Gard, Belein and Fran for certain on a given night off the top and usually I’d certainly take their personnel over ours.
But, obviously Richard has holes in the armor.
I don’t know what his potential is given a versatile roster...such as next year with Oturu back?

After all is said and done WI will hang a banner that says 2020 Big Ten Championship.
MN has not won that since the last ice age and it was done with players from MN.
The next WI recruiting class has players from MN .
I can understand the anger of being another year without a NCAA berth and losing recruits.
But championships and final fours are the results.
One not like the style of play but it only matters to you. No one else cares.

UVA fans do not care about the NBA other than their championship players getting checks from the NBA. They care about winning. They embrace defensive stops, sell outs, taking quality shots, buying courtside seats for 250,000, donors that pay off stadiums, growing the endowment and winning. Watch what you want.

Well, I care about UVA (nice town CV), been there four times) about as much as the average person, which is not at all.

Hope you and all the others in your little elitist bubble are all real happy with how great UVA is.

So remind me, in what year did minority students or basketball players get admitted to UVA on an even keel? 1962? probably a lot later.

My mother's sister was married to Boston bred career Army officer. The south sort of wore them out, even post official segregation. . They were in Richmond twice and we visited in the 70s. I still remember , even as 8-9 year old that she was embarrassed to admit to my mom that she was teaching at a private school that mainly existed because the white people refused to be part of the public school post segregation, and this is educated, elitist VA, one step below beloved UVA.

My point is that my family story was not that long ago, and I am a lot younger than you. Nice to hear these reformed movers and shakers you are so tight with are buying up the seats the fancy BB arena.

I'd like to know what dirty laundry is held by your pals in the "advisor:" seating area. Probably a bunch of reformed racists who figured out that being a bigot was not good business any more.

Sure your are pure and decent and know nothing about any of this, plus the Bennetts love Jesus, got it.

Last edited:

Most of the time the fans in the Kohl Center, in their 1982 era sweaters, look like they do not want to be there. Throwback misery to me.

We'll be super sad when we raise the Big Ten champions banner at the Kohl and hear our name called on Selection Sunday. Completely miserable.

We'll be super sad when we raise the Big Ten champions banner at the Kohl and hear our name called on Selection Sunday. Completely miserable.

Go back and stroke Myles Long and those on that board some more, see that that will do.

I'd rather watch minor league hockey in Albania before sitting in Madison with that group of nursing home trustees.

Sorry your wrong about what i said. I actually will be in Chicago cheering on the Gophers with friends from UW. THE NEVER CONSULTED MY OPINION on the hire, nor should they. Just very disappointed in how they went about it. Once here i cheered for him even when they play UW. Just think he has done a very poor job period. My opinion. My admiration for what UW does is because at one time they were horrible but decided to follow a plan Pat Richter devised and that plan was followed on the recommendation of several deep rooted basketball folks and Al McGuire, Bob Knight, Keady who were asked who the best teacher they knew was, a builder, a guy that knew how to take down teams with far superior talent. We had a clown fiesta here. I stress that i do not blame Pitino for taking the job and why he has it i will still cheer for him. I do not 2nd guess and pretend to know of any secondary motivation you may have, i respect your posts and have enjoyed a healthy exchange in addition to pondering a different way of looking at something. I do deal in facts and data and do not care about excuses or could have, should have might have been . I follow other programs very closely and they never make any excuses, they overcome the challenges the best they can.
How good of a basketball coach was Dick Bennett in your view?

I would say Pitino has outcoached just about everyone one of the Big Ten coaches on a given night. That is part of the problem for me...what the hell happens on other nights?
He has gotten embarrassed by those same guys on other nights.
He has out coached Painter, Gard, Belein and Fran for certain on a given night off the top and usually I’d certainly take their personnel over ours.
But, obviously Richard has holes in the armor.
I don’t know what his potential is given a versatile roster...such as next year with Oturu back?
Because he won on those nights
Go back and stroke Myles Long and those on that board some more, see that that will do.

I'd rather watch minor league hockey in Albania before sitting in Madison with that group of nursing home trustees.
Pretty good at putting people down or guessing what their ethics were and are. Different generations in CV now. I did not start going there until 2010 . I did my undergrad as a welcomed minority at UCLA which was a diverse environment . Pick what you like to watch, i love great basketball. We just watch the game differently. No big deal.

Wow, "welcomed minority" at UCLA in the 1950s, BB? Please expand on that. Now we are getting somewhere? What exactly did "welcomed minority'at UCLA in 1954 mean?

Sorry to probe so much, but since you tend to interject your "life experiences' so much into our Minnesota Gopher world, I'd sure like to know what that means.

I have a feeling being a "welcomed minority: meant a whole different thing in Charlottesville VA in the 1950s. Maybe the poor folks denied admittance to UVA for all those years feel differently than I do, but I have a feeling most of the current basketball team would not have been 'welcomed minority' back then in the 50s when you went to college.

Good to know you have forgiven all those folks at UVA that you are now tight with down there in the "new south". I will assume they moved on to progressiveville, and your "welcomed minority' status is no longer a problem in the "advisor" seating areas where the 250M is raised, and the JPJ is funded.

I went to the Music City Bowl in Nashville when Minnesota played UVA in 2005. I was astounded by how much the fan base for VA resembled an urban, northeastern, upper middle class group, much like an Ivy League school. UVA and Newport News and do not seem to have much in common?

I said it on another thread, but if this Wisconsin team is the best in the conference, the conference is significantly overrated.

Such a weird year.

This conference was more about match ups than any year I have seen. Head to head with Wisconsin was a good match up for Minnesota as was OSU. But Indiana, a poorer team than either had the athleticism that was a foil for our lack of athletes, as did Rutgers and Illinois. It was just really odd the teams that could beat others for match up reasons this year. Michigan State with their athletes just overwhelmed us but they found themselves vulnerable to other teams that you would have thought they would beat without a problem.

Last edited:

Because he won on those nights

Pretty good at putting people down or guessing what their ethics were and are. Different generations in CV now. I did not start going there until 2010 . I did my undergrad as a welcomed minority at UCLA which was a diverse environment . Pick what you like to watch, i love great basketball. We just watch the game differently. No big deal.

No BB, I am not so great at making assumptions about ethiscs or putting down others, I just have a good nose for arrogance, self serving justifications and misleading statements.

Last edited:

Top Bottom