Badgers QB Coan Has Surgery on Injured Foot, Will Miss Extended Time

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
Fascinating implications on the B1G West race, and our game at Madison on 11/28.

Jack Coan, the University of Wisconsin football team’s senior quarterback, suffered a foot injury at practice this weekend. Rumors of Coan’s injury floated online Saturday, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Sunday morning that sources confirmed the injury. The severity of the injury is not known at this time, but Journal Sentinel sources say that Coan will undergo surgery is expected to miss extended time.

If Coan isn’t ready to play when the year begins the weekend of Oct. 24, options at quarterback include redshirt freshman Graham Mertz, sophomore Chase Wolf and junior Danny Vanden Boom. Mertz, the highest-rated QB recruit in the program’s history, played in two games last year, early-season blowouts against Central Michigan and Kent State. He tallied 73 yards on 9 of 10 passing, while rushing for 6 yards on two attempts.

Many Badgers fans think mertz is better option

Definitely higher upside than coan

Downside is he has just 3 weeks until their first game. Could be some rocky moments for him at the start of the season. At least I hope so.

Were we really in the lead to land this kid in the 2019 class?? My memory must be failing.

I mean last year they went to the rose bowl with Coan.

They’re replacing nearly 100% of their yardage from last year now.

Coan was a solid not great quarterback who took a long time to beat out Hornibrook

Mertz didn’t beat out Coan last year or this year.

I am going to go ahead and guess that the Wisconsin coaches think Coan is better right now even if Mertz has a higher upside. We will see how he does.

Considering the losses of Taylor and Cephus, the Badgers have been overrated already.

I'm sure that Mertz is very good, but he'll have to be great in order to step in and perform right away.

Were we really in the lead to land this kid in the 2019 class?? My memory must be failing.
His dad played for the Gophs. He and his dad wanted to go somewhere that was only taking one QB and Fleck was going to take two as we only had Morgan on scholarship (at the time).

Gopher fans love predicting demise of the badgers
They’re overrated nationally.
They’re still the favorites in the big ten west.

last year the big ten west had 3 legit top 15 teams.
This year the west may have 0 top 15 teams.

Mertz is the best QB to never start a game. Early look: requisite height, delivery. Looks pretty good. 🤷‍♂️ Time will tell.

Gopher fans love predicting demise of the badgers
I hope they're good forever. It's good for the rivalry. Just saying that I think their national rating has been too high. Last year it was too low.

Have faith, my son. Have faith.
I just see Minnesota, wisconsin, Iowa, or someone else winning the division with at least one loss and probably more like 2 or 3 after losing big ten championship game.

not sure 7-3 Minnesota is in the top 15
Maybe they are

His dad played for the Gophs. He and his dad wanted to go somewhere that was only taking one QB and Fleck was going to take two as we only had Morgan on scholarship (at the time).
Dad played for Gophers; Mom is a Badger, however, I think. Clearly, as the Coan injury shows, he had a shorter path to playing time at Wisconsin ... and would sit behind a perennially great OL. Not sure about the receivers at Wisky, however.

Last edited:

Dad played for Gophers; Mom is a Badger, however, I think. Clearly, as the Loan injury shows, he had a shorter path to playing time at Wisconsin ... and would sit behind a perennially great OL. Not sure about the receivers at Wisky, however.
Yeah but, at Wisky as a QB your job is to hand the ball off to a star RB.

Yeah but, at Wisky as a QB your job is to hand the ball off to a star RB.
You also get to throw several short passes to backs behind the line of scrimmage, bulking up your completion percentage! Coan's completion percentage last year was very high, but, if I recall, Tanner smoked Coan on throws downfield over 15 yards.

Holy geezus, nothing on the planet more insecure than a Badger fan. Nobody cares more about what other fans think than Wisky fans, for whatever reason.
Admit it, you spend most of your days trolling rival teams' message boards.

Yeah him, Max Duggan, and Hank Bachmeier were all at one point predicted to go MN at one point.

And Brennan Armstrong, Virginia's future QB1 decommitted around that time. Fleck has raised our QB recruiting standard!

Before the Gophers blew up to an 11-3 record, QB prospects probably are looking at the established OL at Wiscy over the Gophers.

The Gophers can change all that if they continue to have success with the OL. However, they need more than 14 OLs on the roster. Iowa and Wiscy both carry considerably more OLs on their rosters.

Last edited:

You also get to throw several short passes to backs behind the line of scrimmage, bulking up your completion percentage! Coan's completion percentage last year was very high, but, if I recall, Tanner smoked Coan on throws downfield over 15 yards.
The Wisconsin QB holds back the system, not the other way around

For whatever reason, they aren’t great at developing quarterbacks.

when they stumbled upon a great one (russel Wilson) they should’ve won a National title. They lost on a Hail Mary to MsU and then we’re out coached badly against TCU. But it showed they can be a high powered multi-dimensional offense if given the right QB. Until they find another elite QB they’ll have to be content being a top 15 program not a national title contender.

Top Bottom