Badger OL

They didn't hold. They are good.

Our pass rush has to improve. Our DL gets too upright. They need to stay lower and they need to get their shoulders around quicker. The DEs are close but they need some more time in the weight room.

Our DL this year has been noticeably lacking in pass rush compared to 2021.

Defense great but DL not good for getting pressure.
It ended well, but I was yelling at the TV for Rossi to rush more than 3 that last series. Wasn't that worried about a long completion for a TD. Being a Gopher fan for a long, long time I was pretty much convinced the F'n Badgers would either get a deflected pass for a TD or we would be called for pass interference. If that QB had seen 5 guys coming, he would have crapped in his pants.

I'm getting up there in age, but am I incorrect in my observation that the Badger OL held with impunity all game?
That's pretty much nothing new. Any observer of Gopher Football will notice that getting QB pressure is not a top priority for our DL most of the time. I usually fall out of my seat when they do actually come up with a QB pressure or sack.

It ended well, but I was yelling at the TV for Rossi to rush more than 3 that last series. Wasn't that worried about a long completion for a TD. Being a Gopher fan for a long, long time I was pretty much convinced the F'n Badgers would either get a deflected pass for a TD or we would be called for pass interference. If that QB had seen 5 guys coming, he would have crapped in his pants.
If our 3 or 4 can’t get a rush I’m not sure the rest can either.

If our 3 or 4 can’t get a rush I’m not sure the rest can either.
The few times I noticed the Gophers send a blitz, it was picked up every time by WI. Not to say that they shouldn’t have sent more during that last drive, but their success rate was piss poor up to that point. I would have loved to see a delayed Safety or CB blitz in that instance to try and confuse the cold QB/catch him off guard.

One sack and that drive (and in turn the game) is likely over.

The few times I noticed the Gophers send a blitz, it was picked up every time by WI. Not to say that they shouldn’t have sent more during that last drive, but their success rate was piss poor up to that point. I would have loved to see a delayed Safety or CB blitz in that instance to try and confuse the cold QB/catch him off guard.

One sack and that drive (and in turn the game) is likely over.
At the same time one big play is what won the game for the Gophers.

Preventing one … I would have leaned towards that.

I don't really whine about officiating a whole lot, but Jah Joyner was held all night. On many of the plays, it didn't matter (it was third and long and the pass was incomplete anyway), but I thought it was actually pretty egregious.

They were holding all night long AND gophers were not really getting home. Not a great combo but yes Wisconsin was indeed getting away with holding for vast majority of game.

Top Bottom