Badger game thread

Not our best game, but we definitely played better tonight than we have in weeks. I suppose that doesn't mean much if you end up losing, but it's progress. Anyway, this board will be filled with doomsayers, so I will see you all after it cools down.

It would be nice to get our perimeter defenders to fight through a screen on the top of the key. We cant have big and smalls switching and leading to Ralph guarding Taylor and Nolan on Leuer and expect to get away with it. Good grief

If the Gophers dominate the boards like they did tonight, they won't lose many games. It's tough to win on the road when the 3 point disparity is that great. The Badgers made a lot of perimeter shots tonight and the Gophers got a lot more layups and dunks.

I don't blame the officials for the loss, however one terrible call had a huge outcome on the game: Trevor was called for a foul going for a rebound he would have corralled and the ensuing possession for Wisconsin ended with a made 3. That 3 points could easily be considered the difference in the game.

You gotta admire Wisconsin. Disciplined in every way: Few turnovers. Make their freethrows. Don't take bad shots. Compared to them, we look like a pick-up team, especially when Joseph is in the game. I hope we learn from this. Bo's telling us on TV that their arena fills up for every game even during breaks. I wonder if that would be true there were NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and WNBA teams in town like there are here.

It was interesting how all of their big guys had 3 fouls a piece early in the 2nd half and were not whistled the rest of the game. Never like to blame it on the refs, but it would be interesting to see how they play with their walk-on post guys late in the game.

It was interesting how all of their big guys had 3 fouls a piece early in the 2nd half and were not whistled the rest of the game. Never like to blame it on the refs, but it would be interesting to see how they play with their walk-on post guys late in the game.

Trying to be as objective as I possible can. Refs were questionable on both sides tonight. I agree with an earlier post about UW making more perimeter shots. That was the difference in this game.

The reffing didn't help, but it wasn't markedly worse then any other Big 10 road game. I.e. 6 on 5 instead of usual 7 on 5 you have to put up with at the Kole Center.

Why we lost

Wisconsin is 144-11 at Kohl since Bo Ryan...that is impressive. They make few mistakes, all five guys can shoot the three. All guys are skilled, and only Taylor is athletic. Beggren is a very nice player and I'm not sure he shouldn't get more minutes. Did we recruit him? He looks more athletic and skilled then Colt did as a Sophmore.

Nolen in foul trouble and didnt score. I thought the refs swallowed their whistles for both sides. Hard to watch a team who's 3 best players, last night anyway, from Minnesota: Leuer, Taylor, and Beggren. We need our perimeter players to overplay on screens, we need the post to show and get back to their guy. I thought we would have seem more of Hollins? Devoe was getting so burned on D they put the Hoff on Taylor for a while. Wisconsin just didnt turn the ball over...2 turnovers! We need to force the tempo with effective traps and deflections and we just didnt do it, and it was also a superb 3pt shooting night from Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is 144-11 at Kohl since Bo Ryan...that is impressive. They make few mistakes, all five guys can shoot the three. All guys are skilled, and only Taylor is athletic. Beggren is a very nice player and I'm not sure he shouldn't get more minutes. Did we recruit him? He looks more athletic and skilled then Colt did as a Sophmore.

Nolen in foul trouble and didnt score. I thought the refs swallowed their whistles for both sides. Hard to watch a team who's 3 best players, last night anyway, from Minnesota: Leuer, Taylor, and Beggren. We need our perimeter players to overplay on screens, we need the post to show and get back to their guy. I thought we would have seem more of Hollins? Devoe was getting so burned on D they put the Hoff on Taylor for a while. Wisconsin just didnt turn the ball over...2 turnovers! We need to force the tempo with effective traps and deflections and we just didnt do it, and it was also a superb 3pt shooting night from Wisconsin.

I was really surprised by the lack of pressure last night. It came occasionally, but in previous Wisconsin / Minnesota games it seemed that Tubby had pressure going in some form all game long. Odd to turn that off when the Badgers start a freshman guard and had only one other true guard play all game for 3 minutes.

Top Bottom