Badger Fans Not Digging DJ-Driven, Shouting PA Atmosphere

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score

What game day experience? It is just a bunch of alcoholics getting together throwing up and walking around drunk. They would not know the difference if anything had changed. It was one of the worst atmospheres to begin with.

Toward the end of the article it mentions it was the first game with metal detectors and that didn’t create a backup worse than usual. I noticed it was lightning fast to get through Penn State security and metal detectors among 110,000 attendees last year.

So small sample size, but considering we have had metal detectors for years in a 50K stadium… are we the only place it turns into a slog and a struggle to get in the stadium in a timely way?

Toward the end of the article it mentions it was the first game with metal detectors and that didn’t create a backup worse than usual. I noticed it was lightning fast to get through Penn State security and metal detectors among 110,000 attendees last year.

So small sample size, but considering we have had metal detectors for years in a 50K stadium… are we the only place it turns into a slog and a struggle to get in the stadium in a timely way?

There are a few companies with a new detector tech that may - or may not - work. At least it’s quick. I think the Twins switched to one of them. Not an expert.

There are a few companies with a new detector tech that may - or may not - work. At least it’s quick. I think the Twins switched to one of them. Not an expert.
It is very quick at Target field. Been to many Twins games and Pink concert there and never any lines. How well the scanners work, that I do not know. But they are fast.

Season ticket holder for many years. I can only remember one game where it has taken me more than 10 minutes to get into the stadium.
This is true when you come to the stadium at the right time

Sometimes due to scheduling conflicts I’m entering 10-20 minutes before kickoff and often I miss kickoff. That’s obviously my own fault for having a scheduling conflict but I would think we could make it better

It is very quick at Target field. Been to many Twins games and Pink concert there and never any lines. How well the scanners work, that I do not know. But they are fast.
The people seeing the presence of metal detectors probably stops more items from coming through than the actual machines do

Come to Gate D a half hour before kickoff, and roll the dice, baby!

I’ve been in early enough to see the entire band pregame, and I have been too late to see the first two possessions of the game. I’ve been in pretty fast in a sellout. I’ve been late when the stadium is only sold to 70% capacity. My favorite has been starting out side by side with my wife, her in the bag check line, me in the No bag line - and her having to wait 5 minutes extra for me to emerge through the detectors, twice.

Come to Gate D a half hour before kickoff, and roll the dice, baby!

I’ve been in early enough to see the entire band pregame, and I have been too late to see the first two possessions of the game. I’ve been in pretty fast in a sellout. I’ve been late when the stadium is only sold to 70% capacity. My favorite has been starting out side by side with my wife, her in the bag check line, me in the No bag line - and her having to wait 5 minutes extra for me to emerge through the detectors, twice.
I have to take your word for it.

And even though I believe you, personally (as a once or twice per season attender) I've always gotten in pretty quick. It's leaving that gives me headaches.

"Deputy athletic director Mitchell Pinta said before the opener that the Badgers are trying to compete for entertainment spending and make being at the stadium for games more of a draw than watching on TV. He said the presentation will evolve throughout the season.

David and Anne Nerenz of Ishpeming, Michigan, said the experience Saturday made them question for the first time whether they wanted to make the trip for more games this season and renew tickets for the future."

"Compete for entertainment spending" ????? Badger Football is the entertainment. Yes, people could go to Milwaukee, Chicago, or Minneapolis after a few hours drive....who? what you competing with? just win!
The constant commercials, the constant PA sound is why you stay home to watch on TV.
Focus on winning the game, playing exciting football, the band, the cheerleaders, the student section...not some manufactured entertainment which at least 50% of the people won't like.https://badgerextra.com/sports/foot...cle_940a596a-45fe-11ee-ae13-3fcadc4074a0.html

Last edited:

Note how the entire range of perspectives in the article come from a couple of older fans, probably well past the age of 50 from how long they have had tickets.

Guess nobody asked the students or younger people, or they did but it didn't fit with the writer's thesis of loud music = bad.

Students and young people are the future of any college football program and unless you are an inner-circle traditional power in a college town with no competition and a current top 10 ranking, there's a fight to get younger butts standing in front of seats. Both for the present and also because they are your future older butts sitting in them.

The students' excitement (and the game action) is where most of the rest of the stadium gets its atmosphere from. Without them, it's like trying to pump blood through a body without a heart.

Note how the entire range of perspectives in the article come from a couple of older fans, probably well past the age of 50 from how long they have had tickets.

Guess nobody asked the students or younger people, or they did but it didn't fit with the writer's thesis of loud music = bad.

Students and young people are the future of any college football program and unless you are an inner-circle traditional power in a college town with no competition and a current top 10 ranking, there's a fight to get younger butts standing in front of seats. Both for the present and also because they are your future older butts sitting in them.

The students' excitement (and the game action) is where most of the rest of the stadium gets its atmosphere from. Without them, it's like trying to pump blood through a body without a heart.
A counter-point on which age group of fans matters more. Yes, you absolutely need young fans to create the energy in the stadium and (hopefully!, they become future donors), but for the here and now, you need the older fans and their money. In the NIL era, the wealthy fans are critical. The battle between which group you cater to is only going to get tougher, because you want the younger fans for the atmosphere, but you can't afford anything if the older fans with the money aren't engaged.

As for gameday experiences, Mrs. Billd cannot stand the woman giving food reviews and some other updates during the game. Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard as far as she's concerned. However, she does appear to be a gameday fixture at this time.

As for gameday experiences, Mrs. Billd cannot stand the woman giving food reviews and some other updates during the game. Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard as far as she's concerned. However, she does appear to be a gameday fixture at this time.
Agreed - although she's better than the first one. We don't need a hostess.

What game day experience? It is just a bunch of alcoholics getting together throwing up and walking around drunk. They would not know the difference if anything had changed. It was one of the worst atmospheres to begin with.
Sounds like a Wisconsin family reunion.

Hard to really know what is up without even knowing what the experience was like.

I was at some games at the bank where the sound was too loud, like unusually loud for a Gopher game. I assume the sound folks just dorked something up and it was quieter after that.

As for the content do Wisc games usually not do a lot of dancy or hip hop type stuff?

There were 80,000 fans in the stands including a packed student section for a MAC opponent because of the excitement around a new HC and a new coaching staff.
They did not need any more stimuli to get them to the game and to enjoy being there.
The AD and his underlings made a mistake and in a typical bureaucratic way, no one is taking responsibility.
It was not only the "old people" who were complaining, the students said it was like being at a bad fraternity party.
It will be interesting to see what changes are made at the next WI home game.

Hard to really know what is up without even knowing what the experience was like.

I was at some games at the bank where the sound was too loud, like unusually loud for a Gopher game. I assume the sound folks just dorked something up and it was quieter after that.

As for the content do Wisc games usually not do a lot of dancy or hip hop type stuff?
Been there probably a dozen times over the years including last year and other than Jump Around, the entertainment was typical for college games. I think there's some sort of video race by stadium sections, the announcer has catchy phrases, on field presentations, video presentations of student/sports achievements, and sponsored in-game stuff like the Case IH redzone Gophs have.

Been there probably a dozen times over the years including last year and other than Jump Around, the entertainment was typical for college games. I think there's some sort of video race by stadium sections, the announcer has catchy phrases, on field presentations, video presentations of student/sports achievements, and sponsored in-game stuff like the Case IH redzone Gophs have.

I never thought about this before, but why do the Gophers have a "red zone"?
There should be no red zones in our stadium
Re-brand it as the Gold Zone
Better dead than red

I never thought about this before, but why do the Gophers have a "red zone"?
There should be no red zones in our stadium
Re-brand it as the Gold Zone
Better dead than red
This is probably due to Case IH sponsoring the Red Zone and the tractors. I agree, would like a Case IH Gold Zone!

The volume at the Purdue game last year was insane. I was trying different seats during that game and sitting in the visitor section was uncomfortably loud. And I like loud music!

This is the work of some goon in the athletics marketing department who had an internship with the Milwaukee Bucks or something. They bring in DJ's and other obnoxious sideshows so its impossible to carry on a conversation during the breaks and they can flash ads in your face. Pro sports are nearly unbearable in person, it has bled into college sports. If it wasn't for the great time tailgating with my buddies and the high fives after touchdowns I would definitely stay home and watch games on TV. But anyways the Badgers suck and I'm glad their fans are annoyed at games.

Top Bottom