Back home in Mississippi, Gophers freshman cornerback Justin Walley is the one who got away

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

People in Mississippi were surprised he left his home state to play in Minnesota. Walley’s older brother, Jaden Walley, is a second-year receiver at Mississippi State, a freshman All-American in his own right in 2020, and there were some who doubted Justin would honor his commitment to Minnesota.

In November 2020, Justin traveled from his hometown of D’liberville, a Gulf Coast city near Biloxi, to Oxford to see his brother play in the Egg Bowl rivalry game against Mississippi. Watching from the stands at Vaught Hemingway Stadium, Walley heard people talking about his college choice during the game. They didn’t know he was within earshot.

“They was saying, ‘Yeah, Walley’s little brother is going to Minnesota. He’s crazy. He’s not really going there,’ ” Walley recalled Tuesday.

“In my head, I’m thinking, why not? I was 100 percent committed the whole time. I never had any thoughts of going anywhere else.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom