Back from Camp Randall

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
I wanted to share a few thoughts. Overall, it was a good experience - we're still stinging about the fact that the Axe is in Madison for another year.

1) Camp Randall is a great venue. The stands were packed and the crowd was into it. Badger Football is the biggest thing around, so the community makes it larger than life. Wisconsin Flags are everywhere.

2) The Gopher contingent was small, but loud. Most were dispersed around the stadium, but there was a good number of us in the "nosebleed section" off to the side.

3) Adam Weber and the rest of the offense is struggling. So many changes in offenses have really made our offense unbalanced. Those kids play their hearts out, but the leadership has thrown this program off kilter.

4) Mc Knight's 2 catches for touchdowns were crazy good. He's a great athlete.

5) Unfortunately, we had an extremely drunk U of M student in our section. He puked in the 3rd quarter and cleared out the area. His friend (or girlfriend) deserves Saint-hood. She missed an entire game with her friends, cleaned up his puke, and shaded him the entire game. He better appreciate what she did for him because he would have been in a very bad way if it wasn't for her.

6) The singing of the Alma Mater at the end of the game was excellent.

I'm stating the obvious, but we need a new coach really bad. The score was not as bad as it could have been, but the Coaching Thug from Wisconsin started rotating in 2nd & 3rd stringers. His 2-point conversion try in the 4TH QUARTER was classless. I only hope that we can one day return the favor.

I am still at the in-laws and the game was pretty much what I expected. The last time I was at CR was roughly 10 years ago and I hate what they've done to the stadium. It looks like a relic from communist times in Eastern Europe at this point. It's like they're trying to hide the sweet old fieldhouse, which gave it old school character. The boxes also look like an apartment complex on one side of the field.

The atmosphere itself is great. TCF folks should take notes and bring some of it back. It's like the Gopher A/V folks are just getting outworked by the Badger ones. The student section is 10x better than the Gopher one...and they are kept involved with the bits much better than the Gopher ones.

I'll take TCF 10 times out of 10 over Camp Randall as a stadium, but the atmosphere inside is 10 times out of 10 CR over TCF...and it isn't close.

more detail about the puking incident, please-that is infinitely more interesting than what we saw on the field yesterday

more detail about the puking incident, please-that is infinitely more interesting than what we saw on the field yesterday

I believe part of the puking incident was a result of the play on the field, but mostly from a bottle of Captain Morgan's. They couldn't sneak it in, so he drank it.

His buddies though were a very decent bunch. Their singing of the Alma Mater was excellent.

Got back from Madison also, with a few comments

1) 2 boring teams battled it out. VERY boring teams.
2) Camp Randall is a good atmosphere. Not so much the stadium, but the partying around it before and after. The crowd was not intimidating once inside. Other places I've been are much more intimidating. Nebraska, ND, Tennessee come to mind. I know every fan thinks their home experience is the best thing since sliced bread, but the fact is there are lots of great places in the college football landscape with their own unique traditions. For Wisconsin, the uniqueness was the neighborhoods and bars built right next to the stadium.
3) Student section 1/2 full at kickoff, 2/3 full after 1 quarter, full by halftime, 3/4 full by end of third quarter.
4) For those that think our first down announcements are lame (me included), they announce theirs as "First down Wisconsin" and the fans repeat this after the PA announcer. Equally lame.
5) Fans were very cordial to us. Liked the band fragments that patrolled the neighborhoods before and after the game.
6) Wisconsin fans wrote off the famous two point conversion by explaining to me that they simply were practicing them for the time when they really need one. My response - You need more practice.
7) Was disappointed with the 'jump around', since participation from sections other than the student section was almost non-existant.
8) The do 'the wave'. Nuff said.

4) For those that think our first down announcements are lame (me included), they announce theirs as "First down Wisconsin" and the fans repeat this after the PA announcer. Equally lame.
7) Was disappointed with the 'jump around', since participation from sections other than the student section was almost non-existant.

4) 75% of Wisconsin fans agree.
7) Jump Around is for the students. It's a cool new tradition, but other sections should remain uninvolved.

My thoughts

Beautiful day

Atmosphere is good because they win games (TCF will surpass the atmosphere WHEN we become winners!)

Have to get some defensive line players - please!

We have have some really good ends... start throwing the ball earlier in the game!

Had good momentum at the half and then of course penalties!!! Bring on midnight madnass Friday!

8) The do 'the wave'. Nuff said.

The slow motion wave was one of the coolest things I've seen at a game...and to get the entire stadium involved was awesome.

I was in the student section, and their fans didn't heckle us much at all. They did get involved in the cheers/chants though, which can be loud when coordinated. One guy was wondering who on the Gophers he should expect big things from and I said Gray right before he caught his TD.

JA still qualifies as new? :rolleyes:

When speaking in terms of traditions, yes. Not when speaking in terms of songs, which is why I didn't say that it was a cool new song. I reserve that praise for Blue Danube.

3) Student section 1/2 full at kickoff, 2/3 full after 1 quarter, full by halftime, 3/4 full by end of third quarter.

3 - I think half full at kickoff is generous. Definitely full by halftime and stayed that way until "Jump Around," after which it emptied quickly.

4 - Couldn't agree more.

I love our first down announcement. It's a tradition that the fans actually participate in it. The opponents of it are a tiny minority, but a loud one. Volume doesn't constitute a majority.

My family and I had a great time in Wisconsin. We joined some of the (nice, 'normal') folks from Buckyville before the game and they were great! At first I was po'd because I thought I parked waaaaaay too far away from the stadium (we saw a lot of open lots as we got closer). But, in hind sight that was a good thing because it was really fun to take in the whole "party" as it stretched for block after block in all directions from the stadium. As stated earlier, the atmosphere outside the stadium is superb. Aside from maybe actually WINNING the game, how can you beat being able to take in an atmosphere like that on an abnormally warm fall day at peak fall color?

Of course, as I took in all the great sites and food smells... I couldn't help but note how far Gopher Game Day has to go to get in that league. It can be depressing to think about that. However, the good news is I think it CAN happen here. Not in the Metrodome, but NOW it can happen with TCF. I think item number one is the team needs to win. Then, as soon as that happens a larger group of people are going to start to realize that GAMEDAY is an event, not just a game. Those years in the Metrodome, coupled with non-contending teams has left a fan base that is conditioned to arrive just in time, and hit the road to 'beat the traffic' right after the game. As soon as the fan base figures out college game day is an all-day event, the atmosphere will get better. I really believe it will happen. When it does, the cycle will finally take hold that leads to generations of fun, and it isn't completely dependant on winning EVERY year. Unfortunately this whole process is currently on the slow track due to the team's woes. We all know a great atmosphere promotes winning and winning promotes a great atmosphere. In the Gopher's case, I really believe the winning has to come first and when it does, a lasting game day culture will arise and flurish and it will take root. Here, there are rules everywhere and in the few places that you can tailgate... the right to park there is completely overpriced in the form of the donations it requires to reserve a spot. Waaaaaay too many tailgate spots are taking up by people that will never tailgate.

The university and/or city needs to help itself however. Letting local merchants sell their own parking spots is a start, but it has to go farther. At Wisconsin, every nook and cranny had someone grilling, partying, laughing in it. I parked in the basement of a hospital parking ramp and despite the long walk and lingering a while before we returned to the car, we found a bunch of people drinking beers out of their trunks and even playing bean bag toss. We're talking a BASEMENT of the parking ramp! I can't imagine any of this taking place at the 'U' without someone getting cuffed, or at least the fun police putting a stop to it. Tiny parking lots, with room for only a dozen cars, had half of them tailgating.

Get there early, stay late. That concept has to sink in and when it does... who will feel a need to "beat the traffic?"

UW recap and thoughts on our gameday/department (long)....

A few observations and thoughts from an alum and longtime season-ticketholder.

In the stadium: This was my 5th Madison trip and once again I was very impressed with their crowd. Not as energetic as previous visits, but still into it. Everyone was in red, from little kids to the old bluehairs. The student section was about 40% full at kick-off, full by half and I thought was around 40% full at game end. Varsity was neat and it was nice to see more fans than the students singing their alma mater. 5th quarter was nice, but I think it's overrated generally. Fans around us in the lower deck were by far more friendly and courteous than they have been in my previous 4 trips to the Camp. Not a fan of the video board's and the fact that no scoreboard graces the UW Field House any longer, but it is still an impressive facility. I've spent some time in formerly communist East Berlin and can attest to some similarity in the design of the Camp and that city but it is still a great place to see a game. Concessions were not great, but considering I hadn't done much other than drink in the previous 24 hours, even a crappy brat was pretty good. Bathroom lines were not horrible, but nowhere as smooth as at the Bank. Access to the facility was seamless, no Q & A with security, no pat downs, just a well run machine. My kudos to their staff for a well done gameday there. The announcer was annoying, our guy is great by comparison. Their PA guy sounded like the announcer for our band show at the half, way to happy. They don't get blasted with PA advertising like we do, but they do get hit plenty hard there. Jump Around was not the same as it was in my last visit there in 2002. It was pretty much students only and the song was truncated to make room for above referenced PA advertising. Too bad.

Around the Stadium: Once again, everyone in red. Great mix of families, students, alums and seniors. We encountered no problems at the Stadium Bar across the road. Beer garden there was lots of fun, the drinks were strong and there was plenty of mingling of gold with red. The beer garden there is only open for football games according to the owner who we chatted up at the outside bar. The dance deals with the Bud Light girls and Bacardi girls on the elevated DJ stage behind the bar was a nice bonus. Kudos to the owner, he knows how to hire... our bartender was as attractive as she was effective behind the bar. The drums passing through to play a quick show was excellent. Post game outside, no issues there either- a few idiots flipping us off from the safety of their bus, but otherwise no biggie. The University could learn a few things from UW's gameday atmosphere around the stadium. Lots of house parties, people enjoying themselves. Police were around, but they were not stopping by bars and tailgates looking for things to crack down on. Well done.

Friday night Madison: Cabs were pretty easy to get and there was plenty of attractive talent walking around. While the "U" gets a bad ranking compared to UW for the party scene, I think Friday night in Dinkytown is just as fun.

Sota Social: Brew and Maturi seem tired. Two guys who seem to know they are on the way out and are just hoping to ride out the season with whatever pride and energy they can muster. I shook hands with Brew and wished him luck and he didn't seem to have the same intensity or desire to engage that I've seen in the limited times I've greeted him in the past. The overall mood was more downcast, although that may have had something to do with the sectioned off nature of the party room/restaurant. Not a lot of enthusiasm there. To me that was troubling for the program. We need a more energized and motivated base and if that isn't the die hards or donors, we are in real trouble.

Bottom Line: UW puts on a great gameday, my hat is tipped to them. I love to beat them more than any other opponent, but they do things right on gameday, we could learn plenty from them. Our stadium is light years nicer though, so we got that going for us. Their home fans are much better than their visiting crew in Minneapolis. Not sure if its the fact that for many of their fans that live in MSP that it is their one chance to cheer the Badgers every two years so they cut loose on the booze and A-Hole quotient or if their larger numbers here embolden them, but I find their fans in Madison much classier and fun to be around.

Side notes: I am not an insider, but have had the occasional good fortune to speak to some people who are. One thing I find interesting is that many of them speak of the frustration that they encounter on making our gameday atmosphere better. Spoke with one of them regarding the UW drum deal at the bar across the road and was flatly told, "we would never allow that at Minnesota." Was told that the internal fight to eliminate pat downs was extremely difficult and that most of the internal staff felt that we had the tightest entry security in the country, including pro venues, but that the central admin doesn't care what the fans think. To me, this again speaks to the difficulties we face in building a winning program that can maintain gameday and attendance success through the inevitable down cycles we face (like the current 50 year famine). As we left I felt a great appreciation for the rank and file AD staff who work hard and want to do the right thing for our gameday against extremely hostile opposition within central administration and the faculty. As we look to replace our President next year (hopefully our AD and Coach sooner), I really think we need a strong executive who is willing to openly challenge the central admin and faculty ala Donna Shalala at UW in the late 80's, early 90's. Someone needs to set them straight that the athletic department and football in particular are the front window of a school. Schools like UW, Michigan, Ohio State and Florida have shown that a school can maintain academics and athletics successfully together, it is NOT a zero sum game. OSU and Florida especially should show you how you can use athletics to raise the funds that allow you raise your academic programs as well. Both of these schools have raised that academic profile significantly (surpassing us I might add in several rankings) over the past 10 years. I also have come to the opinion that we need an "M" man running the show as AD at least. We need someone who has the passion and conviction to build off the good things Maturi has done (stadium, merging athletic departments, balancing budgets) and take things to a new level. This will take a personality that doesn't fear confrontation and will take a strong hand. If I were king for a day- that would mean cutting several programs, firing underperforming coaches and retasking my resources to potential profit generating programs. All very elementary stuff. The problem at Minnesota is that it will take an executive of tremendous :p strength to do these things while battling the opponents of the athletic program. In the meantime, I hope everyone continues to support our players by showing up and cheering on what promise to be some very challenging Saturday's ahead. I am very concerned about our future, IMO the answer is not as simple as hiring the right football coach. Lots of hurdles and we need a strong President, AD and Coach to get beyond them. Sorry for the length, I have some more thoughts but I'll let it go here. Ski-U-MAH!

Side notes: I am not an insider, but have had the occasional good fortune to speak to some people who are. One thing I find interesting is that many of them speak of the frustration that they encounter on making our gameday atmosphere better. Spoke with one of them regarding the UW drum deal at the bar across the road and was flatly told, "we would never allow that at Minnesota." Was told that the internal fight to eliminate pat downs was extremely difficult and that most of the internal staff felt that we had the tightest entry security in the country, including pro venues, but that the central admin doesn't care what the fans think. To me, this again speaks to the difficulties we face in building a winning program that can maintain gameday and attendance success through the inevitable down cycles we face (like the current 50 year famine). As we left I felt a great appreciation for the rank and file AD staff who work hard and want to do the right thing for our gameday against extremely hostile opposition within central administration and the faculty. As we look to replace our President next year (hopefully our AD and Coach sooner), I really think we need a strong executive who is willing to openly challenge the central admin and faculty ala Donna Shalala at UW in the late 80's, early 90's. Someone needs to set them straight that the athletic department and football in particular are the front window of a school. Schools like UW, Michigan, Ohio State and Florida have shown that a school can maintain academics and athletics successfully together, it is NOT a zero sum game. OSU and Florida especially should show you how you can use athletics to raise the funds that allow you raise your academic programs as well. Both of these schools have raised that academic profile significantly (surpassing us I might add in several rankings) over the past 10 years. I also have come to the opinion that we need an "M" man running the show as AD at least. We need someone who has the passion and conviction to build off the good things Maturi has done (stadium, merging athletic departments, balancing budgets) and take things to a new level. This will take a personality that doesn't fear confrontation and will take a strong hand. If I were king for a day- that would mean cutting several programs, firing underperforming coaches and retasking my resources to potential profit generating programs. All very elementary stuff. The problem at Minnesota is that it will take an executive of tremendous :p strength to do these things while battling the opponents of the athletic program. In the meantime, I hope everyone continues to support our players by showing up and cheering on what promise to be some very challenging Saturday's ahead. I am very concerned about our future, IMO the answer is not as simple as hiring the right football coach. Lots of hurdles and we need a strong President, AD and Coach to get beyond them. Sorry for the length, I have some more thoughts but I'll let it go here. Ski-U-MAH!

Wonderful post and your last paragraph (copied here) gives me the chills. It strikes at the core of the differences I mentioned in my post. I may be going out on a limb here but the overall 'no fun' atmosphere makes me wonder if it actually results in some of the riot (or near-riot) sitautions we have seen at the 'U' in recent years. You get this pattern of long term lock down interrupted by flares of anarchy when the slightest opportunity presents itself. Ironically, these riots are probably all the ammunition the central admin needs to keep running things like a gulag.

Few observations from my 3rd trip to Madtown for the Axe Game...

-As everyone said, their gameday atmosphere kicks serious ass. We need to take notes.

-The crowd itself...blah. Their fans were generally uninterested and didn't really get loud at all. Probably because they don't view us as much of a threat.

-Wiscy's singsongy PA guy has always pissed me off.

-Bar scene/State Street was awesome on both Friday and Saturday nights

-My dumbass friends and I raised the maximum amount of hell without getting arrested. We didn't win the game but we sure as hell didn't lose the party

Excellent post vinko. your thoughts should be sent to the board of regents, Bruininks, and whoever else has any power at the U. you have hit the nail on the head. I say you for AD!

Side notes: I am not an insider, but have had the occasional good fortune to speak to some people who are. One thing I find interesting is that many of them speak of the frustration that they encounter on making our gameday atmosphere better. Spoke with one of them regarding the UW drum deal at the bar across the road and was flatly told, "we would never allow that at Minnesota." Was told that the internal fight to eliminate pat downs was extremely difficult and that most of the internal staff felt that we had the tightest entry security in the country, including pro venues, but that the central admin doesn't care what the fans think. To me, this again speaks to the difficulties we face in building a winning program that can maintain gameday and attendance success through the inevitable down cycles we face (like the current 50 year famine). As we left I felt a great appreciation for the rank and file AD staff who work hard and want to do the right thing for our gameday against extremely hostile opposition within central administration and the faculty. As we look to replace our President next year (hopefully our AD and Coach sooner), I really think we need a strong executive who is willing to openly challenge the central admin and faculty ala Donna Shalala at UW in the late 80's, early 90's. Someone needs to set them straight that the athletic department and football in particular are the front window of a school.

I wouldn't say I'm an insider either but I have had a good window on the place.

The perception among many is that the U has a really powerful central administration that pulls all the strings. In reality, the U is very heavy on "faculty governance" (one of the strongest faculty governance structures in the country) and this underlies much of what you describe above. I met with someone who works directly with the president a couple of years ago and asked what he was like to work with. The response included a bit of an eye roll and among other things "he's kind of a jock". This statement was made in reference to the person's boss, a rather brilliant educational psychology professor, and one of the leading education minds today.

Bruininks is not the root cause of the lack of central administrative support for athletics and football. Rather he has been the only thing allowing the investments we've seen over the last several years in the face of many faculty who hate the fact that we built an on-campus stadium, several of whom have stated in front of me that we should drop football as a sport.

Unfortunately, resources for football will be a longer term struggle than simply changing presidents or athletic directors. It will require a culture change among very powerful faculty groups at the U.

Victor B. and Year of the Gopher posted of two of the most interesting and educatonal posts I have read on this board in a long time.

The fact that Victor's last paragraph comes under a President who is as pro-athletics as we've seen in a generation is a rather sorry indictment of the U's culture.

Enough venom has been stirred up on the game itself. I thought I'd post some other non-gameplay thoughts on the proceedings before and afterwards.

-The McDonalds in Tomah at 12:30 AM is a VERY interesting place.

-This was my third trip to the Camp for the Axe, and it was the best weather of the three trips. It was also the first time I'd witnessed a game from the upper deck. It was certainly an interesting view from 28 rows from the top. Lots of people didn't plan for hot weather, and were feeling quite ill. I knew from working outside all week that the sun was going to be out, and to try and drink as much water as I could whenever I went to the bathroom.

-I'm mildly disappointed that the U of Wisconsin didn't stop and mention anything about the three U of Minnesota students killed on the freeway Thursday morning in Madison proper. I'm not surprised nothing happened, but given all the historical ramifications of the Storied Rivalry, I'm just a touch disappointed.

-The most impressive Jump Around I've ever seen was the 2008 Axe. The reason the whole stadium got into it had nothing to do with the fact that it was a competitive game (it was), but the fact that everyone was frozen solid! Recall that both benches needed to be restrained from all the excitement.

-Am I the only one who thought that the Wisconsin Band, who may be the best in college football, was quite effectively marginalized during the game in non-TD situations? No "When you say Wis-con-sin...", no postgame Varsity until most of the crowd had left, and so on?

-I guess what bothered me the most was not the 2-point play (a very low-rent move) or Weber's utter inability to throw an accurate pass. No, it was the fact that, other than a few seniors, Wisconsin players didn't give a hoot about the Axe and all the things that go along with it.

-My companions weren't real keen on much rest back at the hotel after the game, so it was back to Lucky's to watch the Twins get skunked by the Yankees. The city must have some ordinance shutting down the outdoor parking lot bars at sundown, because about 7:30 the bar filled up and got REALLY REALLY LOUD. I also had the worst chicken sandwich I have EVER eaten while watching the game. Also, it was here where we saw LSU's wild sequence at the end of their game with Florida. Say what you will about Les Miles, but you can't accuse him of cowardice.

-Things got a little hazy after that. All I am willing to confirm is that I was the first one back to the hotel at around 2 AM, and that I had to drag one of our travel partners out to the car, where he promptly slept most of the way back to MSP.

Oh well. One of these times, I'm going to see a Gopher football road win (currently 0-7). At least we have Tubby to take Bo's lunch money. I plan to be at the KC December 28 to watch the fourth in a row.

.....-I guess what bothered me the most was not the 2-point play (a very low-rent move) or Weber's utter inability to throw an accurate pass. No, it was the fact that, other than a few seniors, Wisconsin players didn't give a hoot about the Axe and all the things that go along with it......

We had a very good view of this when we were up in the nosebleeds. The 2-point conversion was strange. It's one of those things that happens and the randomness of it takes you by surprise.

I had mentioned Weber struggling. From our perspective, you could see his throwing lanes very well. I know it's very different in a game and down on the field, but he chose to throw into traffic. When he had Decker, that was Ok, because Decker could pull a few of these in. When Weber was successful, he looked one way and threw the other against single coverage.

One day, we will rock TCF bigger and better than Camp Randall. There is a small contingent that has that vision. It will happen and it will be worth being patient for.

It sounds like most of us were up high in section LL? I should have been a bit better organized... I would have introduced myself. We all probably spent the game sitting next to, or walking past each other.

I agree with Rescooter that it WILL happen. When it does, all these years of futility will combine to make a background that will make those successful seasons all the more sweet and FUN.

-I guess what bothered me the most was not the 2-point play (a very low-rent move) or Weber's utter inability to throw an accurate pass. No, it was the fact that, other than a few seniors, Wisconsin players didn't give a hoot about the Axe and all the things that go along with it.

Can you explain what you're talking about here? As someone who was once very close to the program I can assure you that the Axe is one of the most important facets of every season. I didn't get to watch the celebration at the end of the game, so maybe I am missing something.

The Axe has now resided in Madison for 7 straight years, so maybe some of the underclassmen don't understand the importance of the rivalry or having the axe. If that is the case then it is a bad sign if you are a Wisconsin fan.

Can you explain what you're talking about here? As someone who was once very close to the program I can assure you that the Axe is one of the most important facets of every season. I didn't get to watch the celebration at the end of the game, so maybe I am missing something.

The Axe has now resided in Madison for 7 straight years, so maybe some of the underclassmen don't understand the importance of the rivalry or having the axe. If that is the case then it is a bad sign if you are a Wisconsin fan.

That is exactly what I saw. As the knee was being taken, seniors (I think so) hefted the Axe and began to run it around. However, there were never more than 8 or 10 players in the trophy mob at one time. Most of the others did their handshakes, some knelt at midfield, but most went up the tunnel to the adoration of their fans. The number of players involved in hefting the Axe was never more than 10 or so, very unlike the mass mobs at every other Axe-wielding celebration I've seen.

The truth is; yes The Axe is important... but it's not as meaningful as other games because the rivalry itself has not been meaningful for decades. We say it is because of all the boarder business and all the crossover and The Axe and whatnot, but the truth is that it's a tired series that is boring and going downhill. And YOUR program is to blame.

It's the same old thing for us 7 years now and 13/15 besides that. On top of that the games that we play are pretty much pointless in the realm of College Football because Minnesota is never ranked and usually has a losing record coming into the game. The last time is was even remotely exciting was 05' when both were ranked #21 and #22 but even that isn't anything special compared to other stuff going on in the sport. The game's not even at the end of the year for god sakes.

Is it fun to win The Axe? Sure, but I can tell you right now, Ohio State coming this weekend for GameDay and Nebraska coming to Camp Randall next fall brings MUCH more excitement and buzz than pounding the conference bottom-feeders that we unfortunately "have" to call our rivals every year.

Top Bottom