B1G WEST TITLE may be squandered away this season.

So does Sanford get credit for the run game performing at a high level in spite of being down to the guys who were 5th and 6th on the depth chart to start the season? Irving and Thomas are both talented players but they are also freshman and I would argue they played like freshmen on Saturday.

People want to bash the guy for poor offensive performances in a few games but don't want to acknowledge that he has been put in a tough spot personnel wise all season.

And again, this is not to say that Sanford is great or the long term solution but people need to look at the big picture too and realize that we are dealing with significant injuries on offense that can destroy teams yet we are sitting at 6-3, and tied for first in the division. OC should get at least a small amount of credit for that.
The common theme in games he’s been alright in is that the Gophers start well and can stick to the TOP game plan. He has yet to show that he can adjust to a defense that threatens that game plan.

You would rather go 10-2 and miss the the B1G title game? NO, thanks.

Yes. I look at sports as entertainment. Single prestige moments mean less than the overall record to me. Two years ago, we did not win the west but finished 11-2. That means I witnessed 11 happy outcomes vs. 2 unhappy ones; 11 enjoyable occasions to 2 unenjoyable ones. If we finished 8-4, won the west on tiebreakers, and lost to Ohio State in the championship, that would be 8-5. Even if we won the subsequent bowl, I would have had 9 enjoyable occasions to 5 unenjoyable ones.

I know most sports fans don't think this way because they have been trained to focus on various types of championships as the things that matters most. I consider a season composed of many minutes instead of one shining one. If a team gives me a lot more good ones than bad ones, I'm happy.

No because if we lose to Iowa and had beaten Illinois we would both end up with 2 losses and Iowa would have the tie-breaker. It hurts, but in the end I don't care how we get to Indy..

if Iowa loses one of the last 2**

if Iowa loses one of the last 2**
We're all on the Scott Frost wagon for the last two games, but if they upset WI, we still would have to beat them and/or Iowa

So had we beat Illinois, we would have still had to beat Iowa and/or Wisconsin to get to the West Title. People are over reacting a bit. The teams we have to beat are still on the schedule.

Lose to either team and they win the tie-breaker over us.
Some are probably overreacting in general, but I'll speak for myself in saying my emotions here are more disappointment and frustration with the offensive staff than rage and/or total dejection. The season isn't over, but I certainly feel WAY less confident in MNs chances to have a special season than I did last week.

Last Spring, PJ Fleck publicly stated that this 2021 Gopher football team is special. Here is a chance to win the Big Ten West outright.

With the extra year Covid exemption, suddenly the Gophers have the deepest and most experienced Offensive Lines in college football. The Transfer Portal also brought the key missing pieces for the Defense.

Well, I hate to crash his party. There are two intertwining problems.

1. They are stuck with a TOP game plan with no imaginative contingencies that they expected the rest of the Big Ten West will have difficulty with. Where are the slants, short passes, and putting the WRs in the best positions? I don't see the creativity of a Kirk Ciarrocca-run Offense.

2. They have an Offensive Coordinator and QB coach who seem unimaginative speaking kindly. Well, he did mention they have some creative plays in mind for Illinois. :poop:

Then came the monumental upset by BGSU. Elite coaches don't make this happen in their watch.
We thought the wake-up call had righted the ship because they won the next four games. Then came unranked Illinois and their veteran head coach Bielema.

The Gopher Offense seemed lost. The Defense seemed confused in the first half. Somewhere I heard that Illinois studied the BGSU film in detail as well the other Gopher games. They loaded the left side and disrupted Tanner Morgan's rhythm big time. Why couldn't Sanford Jr do something to counter the opponent's game planning? Why can't they make effective game-time adjustments?

The Gophers will be facing the top two Defense in the Big Ten West in the next three weeks. I think it may be too late.

PJ Fleck has the proof with the BGSU and Illinois loses. Sanford Jr may have already ruined the chances of winning the Big Ten West title outright. How long does he intend to link his coaching career to Sanford Jr? This is Robb Smith 2.0.
Today's loss against Iowa is proof number three against Mike Sanford Jr.'s unimaginative stale offense. I couldn't bear to watch the rest of the game. Sanford Jr. turned Tanner Morgan into someone unrecognizable.

The Gophers will continue to be a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten West football team with Sanford Jr. as Offensive Coordinator.

PJ needs to have a difficult conversation with himself.

Last edited:

I change my mind. He needs to have a difficult conversation with himself during breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Top Bottom