B1G Tourney Game 1: Gophers Versus Rutgers (2-6-24)

Where has this Amaya Battle been all season long? In a game that technically means nothing, she balls out. This game could've easily have gone to Rutgers if not for their turnovers. I wonder what kind of team will show up against Michigan tomorrow

Nice to get the win. They should be guaranteed to finish the season no worse than .500. That is a little progress.

Anything that happened after the Braun injury is non-sensical. It has little value for making sense of the team. I pay no attention.

Except for tonight. BOOM!

Well good for sophomore Amaya Battle. Her play lately has been non-sensical. See comments above.

Like this one:

BOOM!

Happy for the Gophers, they battled, stuck together and played hard. Nice to see them smile after this win. Pressure is off, now just play basketball and have fun this weekend. They went to work and it showed, nice rebounding effort, played with grit. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

In addition to her stats, thought Battle looked more like a leader on the court tonight too. Directing players and being positive in huddles. Really impressive game from her!
Couldn’t agree more, she looked very confident and was leading the team. So good to see the team respond to her energy. Holloway also brought a lot of energy tonight, man that girl can jump.

Well, just because I'm like that...I called the victory in post #10.
I gave the formula in post #4 suggesting Battle had to limit the turnovers, lead and play better.
I suggested Grace score 30 for us to win but Battle said...nah...I'll do it

We shot 40% from the field which was another factor mentioned.

With just over seven minutes left in the game Wednesday night at Target Center, the Gophers women's basketball team was tied with Rutgers. Minnesota was being beat on the boards and basically getting beat up by Scarlet Knights forward Destiny Adams, whose 24 rebounds set a tournament record.

It was time, again, for Amaya Battle.

The Gophers beat Rutgers 77-69 in a first-round game in the Big Ten Conference tournament. In the process, the 11th-seeded Gophers (16-14) broke a four-game losing streak, avenged a loss at Rutgers not long ago, and advanced to a game Thursday against sixth-seeded Michigan. Tip-off is scheduled for around 8 p.m., depending on when the preceding game concludes, and it will be on the Big Ten Network.

And here is the main reason: Battle.

Not the only one, though. Nia Holloway came off the bench, battled Adams, hit the boards, denied the ball. Freshman Grace Grocholski scored 12 points, including game-sealing free throws late. Mallory Heyer scored nine points with eight rebounds.

But Battle scored a career-high 32 points. She hit 10 of 20 shots, 11 of 15 free throws. She handed off seven assists, grabbed five rebounds. She did not turn the ball over once..

Outstanding night for Amaya! If point guards had game ratings (like QBR in football), Amaya would probably have a 135 rating for last night game. With a perfect 158.3 only achieved by the likes of Clark when she drops 40 pts and a triple double.

Some sports nerd should come up with an algorithm for PGR. They are the QBs of their basketball teams.

Please give my article a read! It has a lot of quotes from players and Coach Dawn! Hoping this team can continue to dominate tonight!

So just out of curiosity, should Amaya have a spot on the team next year after tonight? Seems like that crowd that had issues with her is crickets tonight.....mmmmm wonder why.
Amaya had a great game, and I'm glad she did. Hopefully, she will continue to play well. But this doesn't change the fact that her "point guard" play has been erratic this year. I think she is better suited to be an off guard.

Amaya had a great game, and I'm glad she did. Hopefully, she will continue to play well. But this doesn't change the fact that her "point guard" play has been erratic this year. I think she is better suited to be an off guard.
I respectfully disagree. She is a point guard.

Seems we have lowered expectations when we celebrate as if we won a championship when we beat an 8 win Rutgers team. Glad they won but let's have some perspective.

Seems we have lowered expectations when we celebrate as if we won a championship when we beat an 8 win Rutgers team. Glad they won but let's have some perspective.
I always take losses hard and celebrate wins hard. Just my style. Has nothing to do with expectations. Go gophers!

Outstanding night for Amaya! If point guards had game ratings (like QBR in football), Amaya would probably have a 135 rating for last night game. With a perfect 158.3 only achieved by the likes of Clark when she drops 40 pts and a triple double.

Some sports nerd should come up with an algorithm for PGR. They are the QBs of their basketball team
according to statsbroadcast

Amaya

EFF: Efficiency Stat as calculated by Manley's formula: PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK - Missed Shots - TO .. her's was a 37 against Rutgers

Game Score: Hollinger's measure of productivity, on a scale of 0-40 .. Amaya's game score was 27.4

Floor%: Floor Percentage is the percentage of a player's possessions on which at least one point is scored... Amaya's was 63.3

I respectfully disagree. She is a point guard.
At the beginning of the season she had last year's tendencies. When Braun first was hurt. She regressed trying to do too much.
After the past few games she showed her knowledge skills and abilities.
Based on that, SHE'S DEFINITELY A POINT GUARD!

according to statsbroadcast

Amaya

EFF: Efficiency Stat as calculated by Manley's formula: PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK - Missed Shots - TO .. her's was a 37 against Rutgers

Game Score: Hollinger's measure of productivity, on a scale of 0-40 .. Amaya's game score was 27.4

Floor%: Floor Percentage is the percentage of a player's possessions on which at least one point is scored... Amaya's was 63.3

Love it. Thanks.
So CC against Mich on 2/15 (49 pt night) had a 48 EFF.

Top Bottom