B1G Tournament Presser Ben Johnson

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score

Interesting first few minutes for sure.
Now they know what kind of players are B1G players

Thanks for posting this. He, obviously, really needs some players. Think it’s going to be a couple of years. Thinking two years from today we will be really excited about the NCAA tourney and also making a little noise in the Big Ten tourney. (Don’t think that is asking too much.)

I didn’t hear anything in those first few minutes that was alarming. Johnson has never ran a program before and his going through on the job training was expected.

He also confirmed what the vast majority thought. Johnson and his staff need to recruit not only legit B10 talent but also the type of players that fit into how they want to play.

This first season the roster had that guys willing to compete. However, overall the roster was filled with guys who would be the 7th or 8th in the rotation along with deeper bench guys getting the majority of the minutes.

Putting aside the "he shouldn't have been hired" discussion --

the first year in a new job is a challenge, and you do learn a lot. Hopefully, you take what you've learned and use it to improve.

I remember a teacher telling me once that "you learn more in a few months in a real job then you learned the entire time you were in school." And I tend to agree with that - because it's real, not theoretical.

It wasn't a good year, but I still like Johnson as a person and as a coach.

Next year will go a long way to show what he has learned and whether he can use that to improve the program.

and if they don't get better, well, in a few years, everyone who wanted a different coach will have their chance.

Top Bottom