B1G Tournament Game 1: Gophers Versus Northwestern (3-3-22)

Agreed... she forgot all about LBK who was our energy, was making plays.. This isnt the first game she played Helgren to long, when we get down, why play her? she isnt even a good interior defender either.
The other thing why did we keep going over picks and getting caught with mis matches.. They were 3 for 23 from three, why go over?
Out of curiosity, how many on this forum were in the arena? My guess is something was up with LBK injury wise. As someone who was in the arena, Whalen went to LBK three separate occasions in the fourth and LBK flat out shook her head no when asked if she good.

Maybe know the whole story before CONSTANTLY complaining about coaches

Out of curiosity, how many on this forum were in the arena? My guess is something was up with LBK injury wise. As someone who was in the arena, Whalen went to LBK three separate occasions in the fourth and LBK flat out shook her head no when asked if she good.

good question, there a lot of details like that we dont see.
That would make sense if she couldnt go and why she went longer with Baily

Man we’re just horrible in the Big Tourney. Hopefully in my lifetime I might see a deep run. Sissoko turned it on at the end of the season but you cannot miss 5 straight FT’s. I do hope Sissoko stays with the team.
I would be surprised if Sissoko leaves, she seems invested.

I was wondering what Whalen was thinking, late in this game.
1) She played Helgren way too long and got -0- production from her
2) During NW's 4 missed free-throws, she had Helgren, who is 6"6", NOT rebounding, but way down the court. This was really dumb. If you are not having her rebound, why have her in the game?
I hate to quibble but:
  1. Helgren had 1 block, 1 assist, 3 rebounds, 4 fouls and 2 turnovers. Point made though, her production was disappointing considering 19 minutes of playing time. They don't really feed her though, on the other hand she is clearly not comfortable with her back to the basket so not sure they should either.
  2. Helgren is "only 6'5"" but good point I don't know why she wouldn't be rebounding unless NW post was pre-positioned on the other end for a quick run and basket. Rebounding and blocking are clearly her best attributes along with being a good teammate.

Interesting

I watched the 1st half back this morning, there was a play that LBK took a charge and her head hit the court really hard on the play. Wouldnt be surprised if she had some concussion symptoms in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

I watched the 1st half back this morning, there was a play that LBK took a charge and her head hit the court really hard on the play. Wouldnt be surprised if she had some concussion symptoms in the 2nd half.
ahh, good catch.. that hurt us in the 2nd half, she was playing so well.
It would seem the coaches had to to go with Baily longer then.

Nice to signs of life from Sissoko but: If she just makes her free throws, the Gophers win that game. 4-10 is shockingly bad for a veteran player.

You say you were at the arena but I’m not sure what game you were watching. LBK and Whay have conversations on the bench throughout the game and most likely it wasn’t asking about her going back in, the rotations seem to be predetermined before the game by their position coaches and the post coach just had a bad game plan. From my perspective, a 6th year senior who was one of the few Gophers giving full effort all season was kept out of the 2nd in a close game for no apparent reason.

Top Bottom