B1G Hockey News

Twynntown

Reaction score
Some tidbits from the B1G Hockey Conference....

Breaking Ties: During regular season B1G contests, shootouts will be utilized to decide games that remain tied following the conclusion of the 5 minute overtime period. Each team will select 3 players with teams alternating shots. If the shootout remains tied at the end of 3 rounds, each team will select a different shooter in a sudden-death situation continuing until a winner has been determined.

Setting the Schedules: The conference schedule is a 20 game slate with each team playing the other 5 members 4 times each.

Points: Points in regular season B1G standings will be awarded as follows:

~3 Points for a regulation or overtime win
~2 Points for a shootout win
~1 Point for a shootout loss
~0 Points for a regulation or overtime loss

B1G Tournament: The inaugural B1G Men's Hockey Tournament will be held March 20-22, 2014 at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN. The tournament will feature all 6 teams in a single-elimination format. There will be 5 games total, with 2 games on Thursday, 2 games on Friday, and the championship game on Saturday. Subsequent tournaments will be played at Joe Louis Arena (Detroit) in 2015 & 2017, and the Xcel Energy Center in 2016.

Information courtesy of B1G Hockey Conference

That's a really interesting points layout. Does anyone know if that's how it works in other college conferences? I think I like it better than the NHL's version, but I imagine that thought could change after living with it for a season.

That's a really interesting points layout. Does anyone know if that's how it works in other college conferences? I think I like it better than the NHL's version, but I imagine that thought could change after living with it for a season.

That is how the WCHA does it on the girls' side. I like it because I think the number of total points awarded should be the same for every game (so, if a team is able to earn a point by losing in a shootout, they take that point away from the team that needed a shootout to win).

That is how the WCHA does it on the girls' side. I like it because I think the number of total points awarded should be the same for every game (so, if a team is able to earn a point by losing in a shootout, they take that point away from the team that needed a shootout to win).

I didn't know that the Women's side did that, thanks for the info. Your explanation makes me like the point system even more.

Here's a bit from another thread on Big Ten tidbits:

Some tidbits from the B1G Hockey Conference....

Breaking Ties: During regular season B1G contests, shootouts will be utilized to decide games that remain tied following the conclusion of the 5 minute overtime period. Each team will select 3 players with teams alternating shots. If the shootout remains tied at the end of 3 rounds, each team will select a different shooter in a sudden-death situation continuing until a winner has been determined.

Setting the Schedules: The conference schedule is a 20 game slate with each team playing the other 5 members 4 times each.

Points: Points in regular season B1G standings will be awarded as follows:

~3 Points for a regulation or overtime win
~2 Points for a shootout win
~1 Point for a shootout loss
~0 Points for a regulation or overtime loss

B1G Tournament: The inaugural B1G Men's Hockey Tournament will be held March 20-22, 2014 at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN. The tournament will feature all 6 teams in a single-elimination format. There will be 5 games total, with 2 games on Thursday, 2 games on Friday, and the championship game on Saturday. Subsequent tournaments will be played at Joe Louis Arena (Detroit) in 2015 & 2017, and the Xcel Energy Center in 2016.

Information courtesy of B1G Hockey Conference

The point system has grown on me, though I'm still not a fan of the shoutout.

Edit: this should have been posted on DLguy's thread, but apparently my phone's app doesn't like quoting from one thread to another. My apologies.

Thanks MinneStoa. Not sure I like the shootouts at the end of OT, but I guess I can live with it.

Top Bottom