B1G Game 5: Gophers host Nebraska (1-14-24)

Good to see they can get a win with little offensive contributions from Braun and GG, ALTHOUGH Braun does so many other things. Good contribution from the bench and what a shot from Battle. Gotta have ice in your veins. They really need to hold serve at home and glad they did. Tough week ahead but they’re growing up before our eyes.

Very happy we won but golly...so many things I was surprised Coach P did and didn't do.
We have a 13 point lead to start the third. We are doing nothing on either end...we look completely lost. And Nebraska goes on a very slow, agonizing to watch 12 to zero run before we call a timeout to make adjustments.
We let Nebraska get confident with good looks and multiple offensive rebounds.
But I guess the figure it out, find a way mentality prevailed and we won.

On a side note: the refs were disgustingly bad. Touch somebody it might be a foul, clobber somebody likely no call. Fall down it's a charge.

We still don't have any plays to get Braun a basket or an open look. These kind of actions exist for absolute certain but we just let her flounder all by herself while she's hounded by the other team's best defender. If those are screens we are setting...the passers look is to the wrong place and/or the timing is way too late for Braun to be open.

Again, very pleased we won but I expected us to do it with more precision at this point in the season. The only open looks for Grace or Braun are on scramble situations after a deflection or second shot.

I'm very happy for Heyer, Battle, & Sanders. I felt that Hart was a step slow to guard Markowski. I think Johnson may have been a better matchup. The final minutes I would have liked Czinano over G$$. But that's just my preference.
Battle and Heyer Are cold blooded. Heyer was finally rewarded for he overall performance. Battle took the ball at crunch time and scored! Sanders has so much game savvy! What a leader!
The Gophers are a TEAM! It's so refreshing to watch!

Gophers beat Nebraska 62-58 as other scoring options deliver

Amaya Battle delivered a big three-pointer in the closing seconds in a game when the Gophers' usual top threats struggled with their shot.

On Sunday at Williams Arena, with decades' worth of Gophers women's basketball alumni on hand, the Gophers failed to get a field goal from their top two scorers, Mara Braun and Grace Grocholski for nearly the first 37 minutes. They allowed visiting Nebraska, at one point, to score 17 consecutive points.

Oh and one other thing:

They won 62-58.

This is important in a Big Ten Conference that is looking increasingly competitive.

Amaya Battle's three-pointer with 9 seconds left put the Gophers up four and all but sealed the victory for the Gophers (13-3, 3-2 Big Ten) over a Nebraska team that saw its offense come alive in the second half.

With Braun and Grocholski going a combined 2-for-20, the Gophers got 16 points and seven rebounds from Mallory Heyer; 11 points, five assists and four boards from Battle; and 11 points off the bench from Janay Sanders. The Gophers' 18 bench points were the most in conference play this season.

Alexis Markowski led all scorers with 17 for the Cornhuskers (12-5, 4-2)..

Good to see they can get a win with little offensive contributions from Braun and GG, ALTHOUGH Braun does so many other things. Good contribution from the bench and what a shot from Battle. Gotta have ice in your veins. They really need to hold serve at home and glad they did. Tough week ahead but they’re growing up before our eyes.

This was a great team win today vs a good opponent. If you had told me before the game that GG would go 0-3 and Mara would go 2-17, I would have said they were going to have a really rough day. Good to see Mallory pick up here offense today and a great effort from Janay. You also have to give it to the bench as a whole as they really contributed.

Was Battle in the doghouse or did she just sit because Sanders was delivering? Interesting that Plitzuweit still went with Battle late. And I wish she'd let Braun sit a minute or two. I think she would have benefited from a little time to watch the game.

Was Battle in the doghouse or did she just sit because Sanders was delivering? Interesting that Plitzuweit still went with Battle late. And I wish she'd let Braun sit a minute or two. I think she would have benefited from a little time to watch the game.
Not sure but Janay had the hot hand and certainly gave them a spark, maybe just needed to ride that wave?

Gritty win against a quality team. Sanders added a lot on both ends of the court, to a point where I wondered why Coach P didn't have her and Battle on the court together in the second half (instead of GG). Not a great offensive game for Braun, but she played solid D. Good contributions from the bench today, especially Janay and Maggie. Like the shooting confidence that Battle has shown this year. Heyer is a really solid player.

Gritty win against a quality team. Sanders added a lot on both ends of the court, to a point where I wondered why Coach P didn't have her and Battle on the court together in the second half (instead of GG).
Agree 100%. Especially in this 4-games-in-10-days stretch, GG needs more bench.
She is not ready and does not have the versatility to be top 5 in the league in minutes in conference play (she was 3rd coming into today).

HATS OF TO THEEEEE!

Sanders came up B1G today for us.. without her play today we don't win this one at all. Her best game since stepping up against Drake.

Heyer what MORE is there to say about Mal.. She LOVES THOSE backdoor cuts and we are FINALLY looking for her.. we don't always get it to her but we got it a few times today.. that 3 at the end of the 3rd WAS HUGE!

Mara seemed like she was using a lot of energy in guarding Jaz in the 1st half and she did a wonderful job imho held her to 3 or 6 points..

this TEAM doesn't quit at all.. kind of bends but doesn't break!! a GRITTY game! and a B1G win our 3rd conference win.

Great win when Braun and GG are off on their shooting. The others came through on offense when they needed to.

Huge win given Braun n Hart had off shooting days. Some of that was the D on Braun n Murkowski with better footwork than Hart. Needed all the bench points n energy 2day. Great to have Whalen, McCarville , et al in the Barn !!

updated +/-

Maggie 17
Sanders 10
Sophie 7
Mara 4
Mal -1
AJ -1
Nia -2
Battle -6
GG -8

1705274364341.png

It was a tough hard fought win. Glad to see so many kids at the barn today. Entertaining game of runs. Defense will have to carry this team in conference play.

Last edited:

Top Bottom