B1G Game 3: Gophers Host Indiana (12/23/20)

Schedule starts to loosen up now, next game against Wisconsin is really important.

If the Gopher game plan was to stop Patberg, they did pretty well. She had 6 pts, 6 ast. Only problem is they couldn’t stop any other starter.

What happened to Sconiers?

“Unstoppable” Sissoko managed to be stopped.

On the positive side, started out much better.. Much more in control at times, chemistry looked better, played 3 ranked teams to start the season (which can be a negative if it ruins your confidence).
Coaches will have to look at film on our zone, we got caught to high and got stuck with a guard down there trying to rebound and defend. Match up zones at this level need a lot of practice and a lot of team chemistry to pull off.
The good news for these kids is there is a tomorrow - you keep working hard, you stay focused on how you can get better and contribute to the team.
No need for negativity, these kids know what they need to do. I know its in the past but losing Pitts as a Sr has had a rippling effect to these younger kids.

Things Whalen took pride in this game
Kept Indiana under 80 pts.
Kept turnovers under 20 (18).

On the positive side, started out much better.. Much more in control at times, chemistry looked better, played 3 ranked teams to start the season (which can be a negative if it ruins your confidence).
Coaches will have to look at film on our zone, we got caught to high and got stuck with a guard down there trying to rebound and defend. Match up zones at this level need a lot of practice and a lot of team chemistry to pull off.
The good news for these kids is there is a tomorrow - you keep working hard, you stay focused on how you can get better and contribute to the team.
No need for negativity, these kids know what they need to do. I know its in the past but losing Pitts as a Sr has had a rippling effect to these younger kids.
Yup easy to see they are still trying to figure things out but today was much better than the past few games. Hopefully with some practice time and a full roster back we can see them build on it and pick up a win against Wisconsin. I think that 1-2-2 matchup they use can be really successful against most big ten teams, most teams dont have the size Indiana does.

If the Gopher game plan was to stop Patberg, they did pretty well. She had 6 pts, 6 ast. Only problem is they couldn’t stop any other starter.

What happened to Sconiers?

“Unstoppable” Sissoko managed to be stopped.
Sconiers struggles against size and Indiana has really good bigs, Sissoko seems to have lost her confidence. She makes some real nice plays but then some real head scratchers. This team really needs her to play well.

🤮. Players need to play better. Coaches need to coach better. Pitts is long gone if you don’t want negativity that’s fine I respect that but then let’s not allow excuses. As of 12/23/2020 this team is bad it lacks talent and the coach is still searching for her own identity.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded):
(According to the box score efficiency stat LBK was most efficient with 11, Hubbard was second with 7 and Mershon last at -3. Whatever, I don't see us doing much with Gadiva only playing 14 minutes)

36 Powell
33 Sissoko
27 Bagwell Katalinich
27 Scalia

24 Smith
24 Mershon
15 Sconiers
14 Hubbard

🤮. Players need to play better. Coaches need to coach better. Pitts is long gone if you don’t want negativity that’s fine I respect that but then let’s not allow excuses. As of 12/23/2020 this team is bad it lacks talent and the coach is still searching for her own identity.
Not excuses my friend, I agree with your comments, but need to focus each day on getting better at this point, it is what it is. We have several MN recruits coming in over the next couple years, but they appear to be system kids, so we need to get better as a team
Minutes Played (Starters Bolded):
(According to the box score efficiency stat LBK was most efficient with 11, Hubbard was second with 7 and Mershon last at -3. Whatever, I don't see us doing much with Gadiva only playing 14 minutes)

36 Powell
33 Sissoko
27 Bagwell Katalinich
27 Scalia

24 Smith
24 Mershon
15 Sconiers
14 Hubbard
the word was Diva had a dental procedure this week, so seemed to be on limited minutes

A lot of good high school players come from schools with good systems that’s part of being a good program at any level. Talent and a good system. What’s the Gophers?

While we all decide to overreact, lets look at some things.

Adia Barnes- Arizona- Second Season Record 6-24 (2-16 in Pac-12)
Cori Close- UCLA- Third Season Record 13-18 (7-11 in Pac-12)
Scott Rueck- Oregon State- Third Season Record 10-21 (4-14 is Pac-12)
Jeff Walz- Louisville- Third Season Record 14-18 (5-11 in ACC)

I'm not saying Whalen will be those, but what if those fans and schools gave up after 2-3 seasons. And they didn't have covid to deal with

Only team dealing with Covid I forgot. So Dak St is dealing well with Covid. Hmm.

If Whalen didn’t have Covid to deal with they would of lost to the Drake Bulldogs by 20 instead of 33. I think Whalen has a chance to get the job done but to date the program is sputtering. Fact. Nothing wrong with being honest.

Only team dealing with Covid I forgot. So Dak St is dealing well with Covid. Hmm.

Oh SDSU just had their first full team practice yesterday? Nope. Did they have to shut down for 14 days/2 weeks cause members of the team got covid? Nope.

Since you know everything, im assuming you know players could be dealing with effects of having covid so that could lead to part of the Gophers struggle with conditioning. And South Dakota, that's the state they should model after? The one what has one of the highest positive cases per 100,000 people?

If Whalen didn’t have Covid to deal with they would of lost to the Drake Bulldogs by 20 instead of 33. I think Whalen has a chance to get the job done but to date the program is sputtering. Fact. Nothing wrong with being honest.

Be honest both ways then. Yes 9 of their 12 players are freshman and sophomores. They NEEDED THE PRESEASON TO GEL. Covid stopped that from happening. Not having their full roster till recently effects chemistry. If you such an expert on what Whalen should do in this situation, what team do you coach in D1? I mean I assume you talking from experience?

What are you Shades dad?

Last edited:

Who is Shades? Are you Whalen’s aunt?

Great excuse laiden comeback. Per your comments Whalen can do no wrong. 🎤 drop.....

I am sharing my opinion on a board that encourages that... that’s all it’s ok.

Oh here goes Shades acting like one game dictates a player.

mmmm Laura Bagwell-Kat in her first game scored 0 points, 3 rebounds and 3 turnovers. Should of given up on her right? Not like she started today and had 10 points, 6 rebounds, took 2 charges and looked better. It's almost like needs time to get used to brand new team. But no continue to hate not the team nonstop.

once again to everyone, you don't have to watch the team. Watch Pitts if she love her all of sudden. But remember to not show back up once that class of 2022 gets on campus. If things turn around make sure you stay away since you give up on them in times like this.

I actually saw her play her first game the other day. Boxed out, showed some grit made the right passes. I noticed her because of that.

No one has given up I said to date they are sputtering and think Whalen has a chance. Whalen is a competitor. Do you think she is happy where things at today?

Haven't seen Gopher quotes yet; but here's Teri Moren:
Indiana head coach Teri Moren
Defensively I thought Jaelynn Penn was really good. Obviously, she had a good night offensively as well, but we asked Jaelynn to have the challenge of guarding Jasmine Powell, and I thought she did a terrific job on her.

Mack got back in rhythm, good on the low block.

Grace Berger who is still struggling, I would say a little bit still, with her offensive. But, that will come. I think we all have confidence that it will come.

Under 15 with turnovers, it was a good road win. Those wins are always incredibly difficult to win, but road wins as I always say are a different kind of challenge. Really happy and pleased with the way we played this afternoon against a really good Minnesota team on the road."

Jaelynn Penn identifies the turning point.

The Gophers ended up with a one point lead at the end of the quarter after junior guard Danielle Patterson drew a shot clock violation and turned the ball over to Minnesota. Minnesota freshman guard Alexia Smith finished the quarter with a buzzer beater 3-pointer to give the Gophers the advantage at 16-15.

After ending the first quarter on a sour note, IU bounced back and held the lead for the remainder of the game.

“We were definitely upset that we let that happen,” Penn said. “It added some fuel, so we came back out and played good defense.”

The Hoosiers came into the second quarter pushing the pace and forcing Minnesota to 10 turnovers. With just over two minutes to go, junior guard Grace Berger secured a 14-point lead for the Hoosiers after sinking a 3-pointer. Berger was the top scorer at the half with 11 points and five rebounds. IU led 36-25 by the end of the half.

More Smith. Less Powell. This team isn’t efficient so it needs more set plays. In this game what would the shooting percentage be on kick out 3s? I think high. Smith looks to kick or score. Powell is going to the basket no matter what. Scalia is a shooter but not a creater. A step back 3 is not her shot. A kick out 3 is. The post defense is bad because the rotation is bad. There needs to be more week side help. Smaller guards need to box out. Scalia positions decent on rebounds, Powell does not. Half of rebounding is anticipating where the ball will come off the rim.

I coach high school. As an assistant to a great head coach. I’m not taking any credit but the team I coach for has multiple defenses. Minnesota does not. I have cut Whalen some slack because I absolutely idolize her, but this team need something more. I believe it’s a defensive assistant coach to help Whalen.
This can not be their best offense!!

There will never be a bigger Gopher fan then me, but I need more I can’t watch this. Losing is one thing not competing is another.

I’m gonna try to stay positive, it has been quite the gauntlet of a schedule and the team is very young. Although might not indicate it but there seem to be improvements hoping that continues. To me Smith plays with poise and would play her more at the point. Powell can go off at anytime so she needs to stay on the floor but those TO’s. Really like LKB and I do like Sconiers but she can’t stay on the court. Hope over the break they practice passing the ball into the post and post defense. More importantly I hope they have a safe healthy Christmas. This has to be a difficult unusual season for them.

Top Bottom