B1G Game 17 Gophers Host Iowa (2-28-24)

Ufda, coach P has her work cut out for her building this program

Time for coach to empty the bench...oh wait we don't have a bench.😬

Not quite as bad as the 56 point loss to Iowa two years ago.

Announcers said it, Gopher offense is stagnant, when they get a good play they can’t finish. I Don‘t wanna hear they are young, the so called super sophs are halfway thru their careers And have regressed. Yes missing 2 starters but they should be more competitive than what they are showing.
We had almost the same amount of shots as Iowa....just Iowa made more and more way more from 3 or longer! CC is quite the player for women's basketball

Announcers said it, Gopher offense is stagnant, when they get a good play they can’t finish. I Don‘t wanna hear they are young, the so called super sophs are halfway thru their careers And have regressed. Yes missing 2 starters but they should be more competitive than what they are showing.
I agree. I thought coach P is a defensive guru ? No excuse for all the wide open 3’s. IO was shooting around 60% from 3 through the 3rd quarter.

Maybe give her a chance to recruit the players she wants.
Hope she does but this current team has very little fight and does not look like they are competing hard. That is a reflection of the coach regardless of her roster.

Hope she does but this current team has very little fight and does not look like they are competing hard. That is a reflection of the coach regardless of her roster.
WE LOST OUR best player our and starting POST player..

which that then means GG/Mal/Battle all move up on the scouting report.. we didn't have much of a bench before the 2 injuries to our starters.. and now we really do.. we don't have any shooting off the bench..

Dawn can't just snap her fingers and have the type of players she wants in a blink of an eye..

we add Tori next season who's a great defender.. and Kenna Johnson who's a shooter, Klick will be back, who was suppose to be the back up point guard. we should have more depth next year..

gosh give Dawn some time to build her team..

the former coaching staff didn't leave much other then the 2022's and Maggie and Sophie who hadn't played in a year plus.

WE LOST OUR best player our and starting POST player..

which that then means GG/Mal/Battle all move up on the scouting report.. we didn't have much of a bench before the 2 injuries to our starters.. and now we really do.. we don't have any shooting off the bench..

Dawn can't just snap her fingers and have the type of players she wants in a blink of an eye..

we add Tori next season who's a great defender.. and Kenna Johnson who's a shooter, Klick will be back, who was suppose to be the back up point guard. we should have more depth next year..

gosh give Dawn some time to build her team..

the former coaching staff didn't leave much other then the 2022's and Maggie and Sophie who hadn't played in a year plus.
I'm sure there will be some calling out Coach P. Just like they called out Coach Whalen a couple of years ago after the 56 point blowout...

U was probably really happy with all the revenue they made. Just think if a player like Bueckers had decided to play for Minnesota like Clark did for Iowa? We turn out great players in this state, we get some good one's but the truly elite top level talent always leaves. Then when they come back we roll out red carpet and kiss their rear ends as fans. Clark's a great player, tonight's game was never in doubt. Clark's run at Iowa will continue to pay dividends while the U of M continues to be shunned by elite players.

I'm glad this wasn't on any of the major networks. Getting blown out in the relative darkness of streaming kinda takes the sting away.

This was an Iowa home game in the barn. Gophers were too slow and not even close to the athleticism of the Hawkeyes. Much of the Iowa reserves could be starters on the Gophers. We have a great coach. She just needs to flush out the Whalen recruits and bring in more talent. It's obvious.

I am not saying that Braun is as good as Clark, but the Gophers playing without her is like Iowa playing without Clark. Coach P is still a good coach and she has already recruited 3 or 4 top 100 kids (I thought I read that Tori broke the top 100 but I don’t know which rankings).

Minnesota just literally had the 1 thing that couldn’t happen to them….happen. Losing Braun. Followed by losing their 1 true center.

Couldn't agree more. Should have seen more improvement than this by now. Watching Iowa run that floor with spacing was just amazing to see, and I can't stand Iowa. lol

Coach P inherited very little, 2 injuries decimated the lineup. We will be way more athletic with a deeper bench next year
and it shows she can recruit..

Tori from Tonka wasn't even looking at the Gophers before Dawn got here, from what I've heard.. so Dawn and the coaching staff got her to commit to the Gophers. One of the better defenders in the state.

then getting another TOP KID from Wisconsin who was in the Top 100... Who will add more speed and another shooter.

Along with MaKenna C for the class of 2025 a TOP 50 kid in the class.. A 6'1 wing who can shoot and rebound..

losing Mara was a HUGE blow she was 5th in the B1G in scoring

and it shows she can recruit..
I've been impressed with Coach P's recruiting-evaluation skills. GG, for example, had an unimpressive offer list, both before committing to ASU, and after de-committing and then committing to West Virginia. GG's athleticism deficit is no doubt the reason for this. But she can play, and really help a team that can get her open looks (and cover up for her defensive challenges), even if she cannot create much on her own. I also believe that Ayianna Johnson can help a good team, in time, even if she too had an unimpressive offer list.

But can Coach P reel in the players who can lead a team to the top 15? TBD. Especially in the women's game, top 100 doesn't mean all that much. The stars and difference makers overwhelmingly come from the McDonald's AA tier. Also, in the latest ASGR ratings for the 2024 class (they have been ranking since the 1990s), the 18 BIG teams have 33 top 100 players. McKenna Johnson comes in at # 72 (29th in the BIG), and Tori McKinney comes in at # 98 (33rd in the BIG). The ASGR list also highlights, along with the '22 and '23 classes, the massive talent upgrade that USC and UCLA are brining to the BIG.

Let's move on folks, the Caitlin Clark show has moved on from the Barn. A breather from her until Friday, March 8 games in the Big Ten tourney. With Hart and Heyer out, hard to expect more good news from the Gopher team this season. That's not a knock on anyone, just the reality right now of what we've got without them.

And, maybe Caitlin comes back to play another year, and the Gophers won't play Iowa twice next season.

This was an Iowa home game in the barn. Gophers were too slow and not even close to the athleticism of the Hawkeyes. Much of the Iowa reserves could be starters on the Gophers. We have a great coach. She just needs to flush out the Whalen recruits and bring in more talent. It's obvious.
I disagree, I think our starters were the same or more athletic at every position except for maybe Grace. Their only very athletic players were Clark and their Post but AJ is right there at post and Battle is at least as athletic as Clark but doesn't have the shooting and passing skills or size. Sanders is more athletic than their starter, Grace the same or less, Heyer more athletic or the same. Then we bring in Czinano and Nia off the bench and they are clearly more athletic in my opinion.

In my opinion we lacked crisp fast passing, confidence and intensity on defense along with a credible outside shooting threat except for Grace and Heyer. When you have only 2 it makes defense easier.

I disagree, I think our starters were the same or more athletic at every position except for maybe Grace. Their only very athletic players were Clark and their Post but AJ is right there at post and Battle is at least as athletic as Clark but doesn't have the shooting and passing skills or size. Sanders is more athletic than their starter, Grace the same or less, Heyer more athletic or the same. Then we bring in Czinano and Nia off the bench and they are clearly more athletic in my opinion.

In my opinion we lacked crisp fast passing, confidence and intensity on defense along with a credible outside shooting threat except for Grace and Heyer. When you have only 2 it makes defense easier.
Also if you are not hitting 3s at a good percentage when the other team is you need to be hitting high percentage shots in the post be we failed to do that. Part of that is not having Hart and the other part is they didn't seem to try very often.

Top Bottom