B1G Game 15: Gophers Visit Michigan State (2-17-20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Ending the Artic Chill

Michigan State’s (5-8) highs haven’t been that high. Like Minnesota (5-9), they handed Notre Dame one of the Irish’s 14 losses, 72-69. But, Sparty’s lows have been lower than a Canadian arctic blast. They’re the only B1G team with a loss to Penn State 73-86. The Spartans were riding a chilly five game losing streak after losing to Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, Maryland, and Northwestern again. But a weak warm front wafted across East Lansing and MSU comes into the Minnesota B1G Monday showdown with a win. Sparty out wrestled and out three bombed Rutgers 57-53.

Last season’s 9-9 conference record and 2nd round NCAA appearance should’ve launched Michigan State on a more successful 2019-20 run. Their leading conference scorers were Shay Colley 15.0 points/game, Nia Clouden 12.1, Jenna Allen 10.2, Taryn McCutcheon 9.2, Sydney Cooks 8.7, Mardrekla Cook 5.8 and Victoria Gaines 5.1. From that crew, only Jenna Allen was graduating.

However, things started going south in April when the one time highly recruited 6’4” sophomore forward, Sydney Cooks, announced her transfer. Cooks eventually landed at Mississippi State. Then, early this season, senior guard, Shay Colley’s appearances became increasingly sporadic before her injuries permanently knocked her out of the lineup in late December. Senior forward Victoria Gaines (Knee) and junior guard Mardrekla Cook (ACL) were also lost for the season. That left Taryn McCutcheon and Nia Clouden from last year’s top scorers. Not bad; but McCutcheon is playing with the index finger of her shooting hand heavily bandaged from an injury requiring post season surgery. Clouden is healthy and is the Spartans leading scorer.

Naturally, the injuries opened spots in the starting lineup. Stepping into one of those spots was another once highly recruited player whose recruitment we well remember-Nia Hollie. Now a senior, the former Hopkins star has started every conference game this season. She is averaging 3.0 points and 3.3 rebounds in 20.6 minutes per game. This Nia Hollie article recounting her Spartan career is more interesting than most of the present Spartan team. “Hard Working Hollie Earns Time to Shine”:

https://msuspartans.com/news/2020/2/8/w-basketball-hard-working-hollie-earns-time-to-shine.aspx

It's 4 a.m. on a cold Minneapolis winter morning, and much of the world is still asleep. For Michigan State basketball senior forward Nia Hollie's grandfather, it is time for him to go to work. His job is to make sure his garbage truck business – the biggest in Minnesota – is doing its job serving others

Jesse Hollie's work ethic and drive taught his grandaughter a lot, things she has carried to play basketball for the Spartans. In her first three seasons at MSU, Nia Hollie was a role player. She came off the bench and played wherever and when ever needed. As the 2016 Minnesota Miss Basketball, it was difficult transitioning from playing nearly every minute in high school to much less in college.

"I remember talking to (my grandfather) about kind of wanting to quit or wanting to transfer and not really knowing my role. He just broke it down to me very smoothly like, 'You don't have quit in your blood. I wake up still every day and I'm 86; cold, winter, snow, whatever,'" Hollie said. "When he said that to me, I was like, 'You know, you're right. If you're 86 and you can still do it, you're right'."

Hollie's patience has paid off, as she is now starting for MSU. After years of waiting not-so-quietly for her chance, learning and working hard, she finally has her chance to shine.

"It's tough, it's tough as hell being in college and coming in from starting every game to being a role player, but learning your role is the most important thing," Hollie said. "It's really about what you learn in those three, four years instead of taking it for granted, because I wanted to be on the court.

Last Season:

Minnesota and Michigan State split two meetings. The first, in East Lansing, was controlled by the Spartans 86-68. The summation was simple: Assists: MSU 28 and MN 7; Turnovers: MSU 8 and MN 23; Three Pointers: MSU 7-23 and MN 1-11. Sydney Cooks led all scorers with 21 points in 22 minutes. Ugh.

The second meeting was senior day in Minneapolis and the Gophers responded with a 83-61 victory. Again, the summation was simple: Assists: MSU 12 and MN 10; Turnovers: MSU 12 and MN 10: Three Pointers: MSU 5-18 and MN 5-13. What made the difference? The Free Throw Line: MSU 18-22 and MN 31-32. Destiny Pitts with 26 points and Kenisha Bell 22 lead all scorers.

Both teams finished 9-9 in conference play. Minnesota lost their first game in the Big Ten Tournament to Indiana and went to the WNIT. Michigan State defeated Northwestern in Indianapolis; lost to Maryland and went to the NCAA where they defeated Central Michigan before losing to Notre Dame.

The Rutgers Game:

Tonight’s Michigan State’s win over the Scarlet Knights, 57-53, tied them with Minnesota in wins. It was a low scoring battle with the Spartans dominating from three shooting 9-24 compared to 1-6 for the Scarlet Knights. Michigan State also out- performed Rutgers from the free throw line 12-13 to 6-7. McCutcheon provided MSU’s spark leading their scoring with 16 points (4-9 from three). Belles scored 10 points and grabbed 7 rebounds; Clouden contributed 10 points. Joiner, 9 points, was 3-6 from behind the arc. That was Sparty’s second win over Rutgers. Michigan State also defeated Ohio State earlier in the season-something we failed to do in two attempts. The Spartans are warming up for spring; can we?

Nia Hollie’s last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Northwestern641203
Iowa931214
Purdue353323
Maryland232253
Northwestern020152
Rutgers03091

Nia Clouden’s last six games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Northwestern021312
Iowa1021312
Purdue1713314
Maryland1720330
Northwestern1274273
Rutgers1456360

B1G Wins: Nebraska 78-70, Wisconsin 69-52, Ohio State 68-65, @ Rutgers 66-55, Rutgers 57-53

B1G Losses: @ Indiana 67-79, @ Michigan 69-89, @ Penn State 73-86, Northwestern 48-76, @ Iowa 57-74, Purdue 66-76, @ Maryland 53-94, @ Northwestern 55-85

Probable Starters (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
5’8”GSoNia Clouden32.413.13.2
5’5”GSrTaryn McCutcheon33.710,53.4
5’10”GFrMoira Joiner27.39.23.3
6’3”FSoKayla Belles19.87.95.8
6’0”FSrNia Hollie20,63.03.3

Bench (B1G Stats):

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’3”FFrTaiyier Parks13.12.83.8
5’7”GFrAlyza Winston7.71.90.5
6’1”G/FSoTory Ozment16.45.32.3
5’11”GRSoClaire Hendrickson9,02.70.0
6’5”CFrCydni Dodd5.21.32.2

With both of us at five wins right now, a must win for us if we want to have any chance of avoiding a Wednesday appearance in the Big Ten tourney. After the Spartans, we face Indiana, Iowa and Maryland. Michigan State gets bottom feeders Penn State and Illinois in two of their last four games. So, even if we win in East Lansing.....it is a tough road for us to avoid Wednesday game.

Foul shooting is the most feared aspect of our offense.

• Sophomore guard Nia Clouden has now scored in double-figures in 21 of the 24 games, including the last five. The sophomore guard also added four rebounds and a tied for the team lead with five assists against Rutgers on Feb. 13.

• The Spartans have used eight different starting lineups this season. The most recent lineup of Taryn McCutcheon, Moira Joiner, Nia Clouden, Tory Ozment and Kayla Belles has started. Michigan State is 3-1 with this lineup.

• MSU's injuries continue to pile up with Mardrekia Cook and Victoria Gaines both out for the season. Shay Colley has missed 18 games so far this season. Only seven players have played in all 24 games with Claire Hendrickson, Tory Ozment and Julia Ayrault also missing time due to illness or injury.
The Gophers lead the Big Ten and rank 21st in the country in free throw percentage at 76.1 percent, making 340 of 447 attempts. That figure is on pace to be the third-best in Minnesota history and the best since the 2012-13 campaign. The next closest Big Ten team to Minnesota in percentage is Iowa, which ranks 60th at 73.8 percent.

Foul shooting is the most feared aspect of our offense.
BTW, here’s the updated free-throw shooting for the team (top players only) through the @Ohio State game (which gave it a boost) ...

Player FTM-FTA FT%
Masha Adashchyk 11-12 .917
Jasmine Brunson 37-43 .860
Destiny Pitts 48-56 .857
Sara Scalia 29-36 .806
Gadiva Hubbard 48-62 .774
Jasmine Powell 83-108 .769
Taiye Bello 72-101 .713

Masha is our new FT% leader at .917, although we have to discount that a bit due to very small sample size. Wish opponents would foul her more. If she could keep that percentage up then she’s near Elena Delle Donne territory.

Jasmine Brunson has just surpassed Destiny Pitts with a .860 FT%. If you wonder why she’s a dead-eye on stop-and-pop 15-foot jumpers, then wonder no more.

The rest of the most-minutes rotation is not far behind. Probably the most-improved free-throw shooter (over her career) is Taiye Bello.

At end of season, they’re going to have to give out seven trophies for best free-throw shooter.

In the last game alone, Powell was 14-15, and both Masha and Taiye were 4-4.

Some FT totals from the OSU, Wisconsin and Rutgers games:

Jasmine Powell 31-33 .939
Taiye Bello 21-25 .840
Masha Adashchyk 9-10 .900

Last edited:

With both of us at five wins right now, a must win for us if we want to have any chance of avoiding a Wednesday appearance in the Big Ten tourney. After the Spartans, we face Indiana, Iowa and Maryland. Michigan State gets bottom feeders Penn State and Illinois in two of their last four games. So, even if we win in East Lansing.....it is a tough road for us to avoid Wednesday game.

Wednesday is Day 1, right?

Yes, Wednesday is day 1. Seeds 11-14 play that day. #12 plays #13 in first game that afternoon, followed by #11 versus #14. Michigan State and the Gophers both have five wins, but the Spartans have one less loss than us. I've attached the bracket form.

Attachments

• 2020_WBBT_Bracket_copy.png
    2020_WBBT_Bracket_copy.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 11

#10 seed would work for me.
Michigan State has 5 games left, whereas we have 4. That’s why they’re a half-game off from us, not a full game. https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/big-ten-ranking-2019-2020.95086/

By beating Rutgers, Sparty put us in a bit of a bind by now being half a game ahead of us. To avoid the Wed game, we for sure need to beat MSU. That would put us a half game ahead of them, for the moment, anyway.

Of its remaining 4 after us, MSU will likely lose to Purdue (who they lost to once already) and Michigan, but win against Illinois and Penn State. One of those wins will put them tied with us again, and to offset their other win, we’ll need to win one of our three final games against Maryland or Iowa or Indiana. That, or else one of Illinois or Penn State will need to upset MSU.

And I’m not sure what the tie-breaker is between us and MSU, but if it’s that we won the head-to-head match, then that should do it: beat MSU and one of Maryland/Iowa/Indiana. Not simple, but it could be done.

If I go to the trouble of flying down to Naptown, I'd like us to play Penn State. Then I can spend the night partying and maybe see another game.

Ugly start for both teams. Nice to see all the family support for Powell.

Down 14-12 after 1Q. Neither team is shooting very well which is keeping us in the game.

The neither of the Minnesota “Michigan“ players are playing well in front of their family and friends, although Bello is getting killed by MSU

31-27 MSU lead. T Bello and Hubbard with 2 fouls. T. Bello not having a good game. Powell starting to pick it up. We need to keep Adaschyk in the game.

Another horrible shooting % quarter, is it tired legs?
Prolly part of it, they have played alot of games lately with little depth, but it was mainly shot selection imo. Powell looked like she was trying to put on a show in front of all her family that 1st quarter but she took alot of bad shots. 2nd quarter they got better looks but i dont know why Taiye settles for so many jumpers.

Not the start we needed in the 2nd half. Hope Taiye gets going and we get hot from 3.

52-45 after 3. Down as much as 12. Showing just a little promise near the end of the quarter.

Could be a good sign that K. Bello scores to end the third. Our D will have to improve significantly to get the W.

Is it just me or does it feel like Nia Hollie has been at MSU for about 10 years.

We're really getting killed inside again in this game.

Yes, they are having too much fun. And now we are making too many turnovers to increase their fun. Lack of rebounding, especially on the D boards.

What’s the reason Grace Cummings isn’t playing? Injury, redshirt? I’m already looking ahead to next year with 5 new players.

I MISS Taiye Bello from last year... not sure what's up but she hasn't been the same player for a good chuck of the season.. I get one of her friends team isn't on the team anymore but man.. she looks like a shell of herself from last year..

I MISS Taiye Bello from last year... not sure what's up but she hasn't been the same player for a good chuck of the season.. I get one of her friends team isn't on the team anymore but man.. she looks like a shell of herself from last year..

She was excellent in the Rutgers game not too long ago.

She was excellent in the Rutgers game not too long ago.

she was.. but that's about her only wow game of the season.. kind of looks like she has packed up.. not protecting the paint like she did last year.. I know being in foul trouble doesn't help.. but just miss her play from last year

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded): Hell, the shooting stats say it all: 29% from the Field, 21% from three and 64% from the line.

36 Brunson
35 Powell
28 Hubbard
27 Scalia

27 Adashchyk
25 Taiye Bello
14 Kehinde Bello
8 Sconiers

she was.. but that's about her only wow game of the season.. kind of looks like she has packed up.. not protecting the paint like she did last year.. I know being in foul trouble doesn't help.. but just miss her play from last year
One big named Taiye just can’t (by herself) box out 3 tall muscular bigs from MSU. And even if the guards do box out whatever big they’re assigned to, doesn’t matter, they can stand flat footed and just grab the rebound over the top of them.

Plus, although it was a little better when Kehinde or Klarke was in dual-post mode with Taiye, it seemed like even then we just had bad luck on the boards.

Besides some cold shooting, the name etched on this loss was “offensive rebounding and second chance points by MSU.”

Besides, Taiye was getting shoved all over the place. Couldn’t hardly buy a bucket because body-shoved on just about every shot.

A decent 14 minutes out of Kehinde.

Toward the end, Powell entertained her family and friends by making a valiant effort to try to salvage lemonade from lemons, but poor defense and fouling called a halt to that brief moment of optimism.

Last edited:

Top Bottom