B1G Game 13: Gophers visit Rutgers (2-13-24)

Sanders doesn't pass on drives. Sigh. I like her energy but sometimes you need to pass the ball to a teamate.

Sanders played hero ball again the last few possessions and has come up empty

Why do teams/players have career games against the Gophers?

With or without Mara there's no way we should be losing to a one win conference Rutgers team; but, that is what we're now dealing with. If I was the coach, I would never let Sanders play another minute. I know that may sound rough, but I am tired of watching her drive the lane and not pass the ball. Get some bench players some minutes and experience. This team has lost its confidence and toughness. For this team to be successful next year, they have to find an experience point guard that can run the floor (team). As sad as it is to say; but, I don't see this team getting another win. Hopefully I am wrong.

Magic timeouts moving ball after an out of bounds is still such a stupid rule

This was a winnable game. I know Rutgers made a lot of shots. The missed free throws, and empty possessions 4th quarter torpedoed the Gophers. Too many turnovers. Rutgers made 26 free throws 90%. Adams for Rutgers willed them. Looks like we will end up in Wednesday Big 10 bracket, unfortunately. L6, this year seems to be cursed.

Last edited:

Ouch...this is a game I thought they really needed to get a W. Are they redshirting some of the others like Dalan, Madol?

On the bright side Braun walking relatively normal already

We are currently 8 for 16 from the free throw line and they are 22 of 24.

I think I’m done watching them this year. I refused to believe the drop off has to be this dramatic from losing Braun. Rutgers is missing their leading scorer and others have stepped up. Gophers have too much talent to languished like this. Give GG credit for keeping Gophers in it but she I guess She needs more touches.

With or without Mara there's no way we should be losing to a one win conference Rutgers team; but, that is what we're now dealing with. If I was the coach, I would never let Sanders play another minute. I know that may sound rough, but I am tired of watching her drive the lane and not pass the ball. Get some bench players some minutes and experience. This team has lost its confidence and toughness. For this team to be successful next year, they have to find an experience point guard that can run the floor (team). As sad as it is to say; but, I don't see this team getting another win. Hopefully I am wrong.
Especially when they're out of tournament at this point call it a season and give minutes to people on the roster for next season instead of outgoing seniors

Coach P, you seem to know how to coach, but you've got to reel in your team and get their heads on straight. As a former point guard, teach Battle how to be a floor general (she did dish out a great amount of assists tonight) and to abandon reckless drives to the hoop. She just hasn't developed being able to break down defenders or the vision to see the floor and keep from dribbling into double teams in the paint.

Plitzuweit was one frustrated coach in the radio post-game
Sounded like it. I like how she sorta put it on the players and not using being young as an excuse. Some of these players are now almost halfway thru their careers. If not now? When?

I'm also curious as a whole (not just tonight) how many fast break/transition points we average a game compared to our opponents. We just never get those easy baskets, nor do we try, which can often result in our opponents fouling. Even when we break a press or get a quick outlet, the forward player who gets the ball always seems to then wait for everyone to catch up (opponents included) and then set up for half court sets. Our offense could use with being less one dimensional.

Why do teams/players have career games against the Gophers?
ALWAYS ALWAYS happens..

Petticord a CAREER high go figure.. a season high made 3's had 7 TOTAL in her 4 previous games..

Rutgers avg 5 made 3's a game coming into tonight.. also Avg 13 made free throws.. refs pretty much let them live there in the 2nd half.. imho..

Sounded like it. I like how she sorta put it on the players and not using being young as an excuse. Some of these players are now almost halfway thru their careers. If not now? When?
It will be an interesting off season. No way does coach P go through another season like this. She will make sure she’s got plenty of depth next year.

Plus being frustrated about working on things in practice that don't make their way into the game.

Disappointing. The only thing uglier than the play in the first half was the officiating. The effort by the Gophers was excellent. However, the Gophers don't have enough contributions from the bench and the starters have to play too much and get run down.

You could hear the frustration in Dawn Plitzuweit's voice, even on the phone from New Jersey on Tuesday night.

"We're not disciplined," the Gophers women's basketball coach began. And, later: "We'd better figure out how to guard."

"We don't do the little things very well," Plitzuweit said. "We just aren't disciplined. We're giving them post touches. We foul."

Ouch...this is a game I thought they really needed to get a W. Are they redshirting some of the others like Dalan, Madol?
Madol was in a walking boot a week or so ago and the way she is dressed clearly indicated she wasn’t going to play. Dolan should be getting some minutes in my opinion.

I'm also curious as a whole (not just tonight) how many fast break/transition points we average a game compared to our opponents. We just never get those easy baskets, nor do we try, which can often result in our opponents fouling. Even when we break a press or get a quick outlet, the forward player who gets the ball always seems to then wait for everyone to catch up (opponents included) and then set up for half court sets. Our offense could use with being less one dimensional.
Hart, Heyer and GG are not well-suited to transition basketball, but Holloway and Johnson could be. Would like to see more of those two, even some together.

Hart, Heyer and GG are not well-suited to transition basketball, but Holloway and Johnson could be. Would like to see more of those two, even some together.
I think Heyer runs the floor pretty well. There have been plenty of times when she's been the first one down the floor. The problem, as I see it, is that the guards dribble too much and hang onto the ball. When that happens as much as it does, people stop running and moving. Why work when you're never rewarded?

Top Bottom