B1G Game 13: Gophers Visit Iowa (2-9-22)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
LET’S GET PHYSICAL

Minnesota’s (4-8) last meeting versus the Hawkeyes (9-3) resulted in a record setting 56 point pounding. It was the Gopher’s worst defeat of the NCAA era. In the second half, the Hawkeyes simply ran unfettered past a disheartened Gopher defense. Iowa was in the midst of what would become a seven-game winning streak. Three days after the rout, Minnesota was excited just to limit its next loss, at Michigan State, to three points.

Iowa was cruising along in its battle for a Big Ten crown. Then, the Ohio State Buckeyes visited Iowa City and unpacked a bag full of hard-nosed physicality on the Hawkeyes. How physical was it? Lisa Bluder and Caitlin Clark explain (from the Daily Iowan):

The Buckeyes had 20 fouls on Monday night, but Bluder thought there should’ve been more.

“Ohio State’s a great team,” Bluder said. “They’re very physical, and I don’t know, you quit calling fouls after a while. It gets frustrating, because the screens that we saw tonight … I don’t know if I’ll be able to field a team after this game, it is that bad. That many kids were taking to the ground, slammed on screens. I’ve never seen anything like it before.”

Martin hit the floor at the beginning of the second half and took a while to peel herself off the hardwood. After she got up, she had a slight limp that seemed to indicate a right leg injury. She played for two more minutes until Iowa called a timeout, and junior guard Tomi Taiwo checked in.

Athletic trainers rolled out Martin’s right thigh during the timeout, and she checked back in the game two minutes later.

Junior guard Gabbie Marshall also had to sub out with an injury with just over a minute left in the contest.

“I thought it was pretty physical,” sophomore point guard Caitlin Clark said. “I’ve got to give a lot of credit to Gabbie, Kate, [sophomore guard Kylie Feuerbach,] Tomi … They’re what make us go and I feel bad for them. They got hammered all night long. I mean, I just felt bad for them. They were in pain.”

Fouls or no fouls, damage was done. The Hawkeyes lost starters Gabbie Marshall and Mckenna Warnock for their next game: a victory over Wisconsin. Warnock was wearing a cast on her left wrist. The word on both Warnock and Marshall was “day to day”. Warnock and Marshall were replaced by Tomi Taiwo and Kylie Feuerbach in the starting lineup. The injuries left the Hawkeyes with seven available players. All played. Naturally, Caitlin Clark took control racking up her sixth career triple double with 27 points 11 rebound and 11 assists. The Hawkeyes collected an 80-54 win and moved on to Ann Arbor for a Sunday night showdown with the Wolverines.

The “day to day” injury prognosis stretched to the Michigan game. Once again Iowa was limited to seven active players with both Warnock and Marshall sidelined. Michigan was also missing the services of Leigha Brown who was on the bench wearing a boot on her left leg. The Wolverines jumped all over Iowa leading by as much as 25 in the third quarter, until, you guessed it, Caitlin Clark put on an extraordinary performance willing the Hawkeyes back into the contest. Clark had to do much of her work without Monika Czinano who was limited to 27 minutes before fouling out. Clark was up to the task dropping 46 points and 10 assists. She was 6-12 from three including a couple of logo shots. The surge brought the Hawkeyes within five several times; but Michigan held on for a 98-90 victory. And Iowa headed home to host the Gophers

On Wednesday night, Minnesota will face an injured, mad at the officiating, anxious to get a win, Hawkeye squad in Iowa City. Please be aware that it won’t take much to trigger Lisa Bluder’s last nerve. And that we don't have to roll over if we get down by 25.

IOWA B1G RECORD (9-3):

Wins:
Michigan State 88-61, @ Nebraska 95-86, @ Purdue 79-66 , Nebraska 93-83, @Minnesota 105-49, Illinois 82-56, @ Penn State 107-79, @ Northwestern 72-67 OT and @ Wisconsin 84-50

Losses: Northwestern 69-77 and Ohio State 88-92 and Michigan 90-98

Caitlin Clark’s Last Six Big Ten Games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Illinois1887202
Penn State20718353
Northwestern28115441
Ohio State4347353
Wisconsin271111304
Michigan46410404

Monika Czinano’s Last Six Big Ten Games:

TeamPtsRebAsstMinFoul
Illinois2160253
Penn State2491262
Northwestern24160363
Ohio State2390340
Wisconsin1750360
Michigan1310275

Probable Starters Big Ten Stats:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’0”GSoCailin Clark34.727.48.2
6’3”F/CSrMonika Czinano28.520.26.2
6’1”G/FJrMcKenna Warnock30.112.16.9
6’0”GRJrKate Martin28.96.84.9
5’9”GJrGabbie Marshall32.37.61.8

Others Big Ten Stats:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’0”GSoKylie Feuerbach17.63.91.4
6’4”CFrAddison O’Grady9.94.12.7
5’10”GSrTomi Taiwo16.74.11.6
5’11”GFrSydney Affolter12.03.31.9

AWESOME

“I feel like I played really loose in that fourth quarter, and I just started launching the ball honestly,” said Caitlin Clark. “We just kept saying “fight fight fight”. We wanted to end it the right way.”

AWESOME

“I feel like I played really loose in that fourth quarter, and I just started launching the ball honestly,” said Caitlin Clark. “We just kept saying “fight fight fight”. We wanted to end it the right way.”
Ye Gods! Never thought I'd see someone equal the monster bomb that Banham hit at Williams but there it is at the 20 second mark.

I'd take Iowa -26 and Clark o30.5 points

Warnock and Marshall will probably miss Wednesday's game.

Iowa women’s coach Lisa Bluder is not sure when McKenna Warnock and Gabbie Marshall may return to the starting lineup. Both have missed the last two games, including Sunday night’s 98-90 loss at sixth ranked Michigan and may not be available Wednesday night when the Hawkeyes host Minnesota.

Caitlin Clark was a superstar from the moment she stepped on the court for the Iowa Hawkeyes. A consensus top-five recruit from nearby West Des Moines, Clark decided to play for her state school rather than a typical college basketball blueblood. All Clark did as a freshman was lay out a convincing case that she was immediately the best player in America: she led the country in total points and assists, she hit more threes than anyone in America and did it at better than a 40 percent from three, and she shared the freshman of the year awards with UConn phenom Paige Bueckers.

For as impressive as Clark’s freshman year was, she’s somehow taken her game up another level as a sophomore.

Clark started her second season by crossing the 1,000 point mark for career in the second fewest games in NCAA history — only behind one-time WNBA MVP Elena Delle Donne at Delaware. Then she became the first player in college basketball history to drop 30-point triple-doubles in consecutive games when she lit up Nebraska and Minnesota

The Hawkeyes have won 11 games in a row at Carver-Hawkeye Arena with Minnesota's last win over Iowa in Iowa City coming on Jan. 25, 2007. That game ended in an 80-78 win in overtime with then-sophomore Emily Fox scoring a then-career high of 30 points.

the way I see it.. let Clark try and beat us 1 vs 5 .. seems like she is taking about 30 shots a game lately.. on Sunday the next closer player had 10 shots..

can't be a worse at the game here, right?

If Warnock and Marshall are out, I won't be surprised if Clark goes for 40. She has incredible range. I think some of Scalia's bombs are incredible, but they pale in comparison to Clark's.

On another related and irrelevant note, I find the public address announcer for Iowa women's basketball to be extremely annoying...the most annoying PA announcer I've ever heard. That being said, I'm preparing to hear, "Kaitlin Clark for threeeeeeeeeeee!!!!" plenty of times on Wednesday.

Czinano should be well rested and ready to run after fouling out at Michigan. Hopefully we'll have a couple of players ready to run with her.

Helgren doing a job on Czinano. Good flurry of offensive rebounding by the Gophers in the last minute.

Sort of following Live Stats tonight. Saw that Clark went off in the 1st quarter. Pretty quite 2nd. Who was matched up on her defensively?
Smith was until Clark got Smith her 2nd foul..

it's amazing how much Clark gets away with honestly.. and when she doesn't get a call boy does she whine...

Sorry to be snotty, but the btn+ play by play guy has the most annoying voice.

We did not have our 3rd quarter melt down tonight. We out scored them 24-20. Nice to see them be competitive but now IO. on a 11-0 run..........

these Iowa announcers might be the biggest homers I've heard on a BTN+ broadcast.. nothing is a foul for Iowa and just us getting bailed out.. rich knowing what Clark gets for foul calls..

Made this one a game. Deja finished with 30 n Scalia with 23.

Great effort by Winters. When Iowa moved Czinano to the foul line, we couldn't stop her. Czinano with 23 and Clark with 32.

Its really tough defending Clark when you cant touch her at all and if your close to her shes gonna run it to you and flop. Some bad turnovers and shot attempts in the 4th. Really needed someone other than Scalia and Winters to help out.

I'm not going to praise this game. We still sh**t the bed in one quarter. Just this time it was the fourth instead of the 3rd.

Top Bottom