B1G bowl affiliations for ‘20-‘21

pk2

Reaction score
There have been some changes in the B1G’s bowl affiliations for next season. Interestingly, according to CFN, if a B1G team makes the playoffs, the Rose Bowl isn’t required to take it. I can’t imagine a scenario in which the B1G team wouldn’t go to the Rose Bowl, though, other than the possibility of more than one B1G team making the playoffs. If that’s the case, then watch the SEC’s collective head explode.

One caveat: NOTE: The conferences and bowls are still solidifying their ties and affiliations. There could be a few tweaks and name changes before the start of the season.

Interesting new bowl affiliations.

Since Minnesota just went to a Florida bowl I wonder if they would attempt to stay away from Florida this year?

If so, purely from a location perspective which sites seem most appealing?

Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville? Assuming the season would need to go a bit sideways to land in Santa Clara or Phoenix.

Since Minnesota just went to a Florida bowl I wonder if they would attempt to stay away from Florida this year?

Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville? Assuming the season would need to go a bit sideways to land in Santa Clara or Phoenix.
I belive the only rules as far as "been there" are rules about the same bowl, but not necessarily geographic variety.

I feel like the perfect way to make this board lose its mind is by the Gophers making the CFP only to be assigned to Sugar instead of Rose because a higher seed snagged Rose.

I’d love to see the Gophers at the new Raiders stadium in Vegas. That would be cool.

Since Minnesota just went to a Florida bowl I wonder if they would attempt to stay away from Florida this year

Just a question: How would this “attempt” occur?

I belive the only rules as far as "been there" are rules about the same bowl, but not necessarily geographic variety.

It wouldn't be a rule rather trying to maximize fan interest/travel. During the bowl location talk this year I think it was iowa where people mentioned they've been to quite a few FL bowls recently and would prefer the CA bowl.

I feel like the perfect way to make this board lose its mind is by the Gophers making the CFP only to be assigned to Sugar instead of Rose because a higher seed snagged Rose.
I'd be disappointed ... for a few seconds, then ultra excited.

Well the championship game is in Miami so a trip back to Florida is a mere formality.

There have been some changes in the B1G’s bowl affiliations for next season. Interestingly, according to CFN, if a B1G team makes the playoffs, the Rose Bowl isn’t required to take it. I can’t imagine a scenario in which the B1G team wouldn’t go to the Rose Bowl, though, other than the possibility of more than one B1G team making the playoffs. If that’s the case, then watch the SEC’s collective head explode.

One caveat: NOTE: The conferences and bowls are still solidifying their ties and affiliations. There could be a few tweaks and name changes before the start of the season.

The thing with the Rose isn’t anything new, as far as I’m aware.

It’s when the Rose and Sugar are the semi-final games in the playoff. They’ve always had 1v4 and 2v3. I don’t know how they decide which teams go to which site, but so far in the two times they have it:

2014 season -
1 Alabama vs 4 Ohio St, Sugar Bowl
2 Oregon vs 3 Florida St, Rose Bowl

2017 season -
1 Clemson vs 4 Alabama, Sugar Bowl
2 Oklahoma vs 3 Georgia, Rose Bowl

The thing with the Rose isn’t anything new, as far as I’m aware.

It’s when the Rose and Sugar are the semi-final games in the playoff. They’ve always had 1v4 and 2v3. I don’t know how they decide which teams go to which site, but so far in the two times they have it:

2014 season -
1 Alabama vs 4 Ohio St, Sugar Bowl
2 Oregon vs 3 Florida St, Rose Bowl

2017 season -
1 Clemson vs 4 Alabama, Sugar Bowl
2 Oklahoma vs 3 Georgia, Rose Bowl
I recall hearing this year that the #1 seed gets to choose which Semifinal game they go to, which explains LSU in Atlanta and Clemson/Ohio State in Phoenix. It also explains the 2014 results with Alabama being in NOLA and Ohio State left out of the Rose Bowl.

Makes perfect sense to me that they’d let the #1 seed select the site.

I’m hopeful that if they go to 8 teams with P5 autobids, and let the bowls host the quarter-finals, that they’ll return to traditional bowl sites regardless of seed. They could re-seed for the semi-finals and have those at bid out sites or even on campuses.

Makes perfect sense to me that they’d let the #1 seed select the site.

I’m hopeful that if they go to 8 teams with P5 autobids, and let the bowls host the quarter-finals, that they’ll return to traditional bowl sites regardless of seed. They could re-seed for the semi-finals and have those at bid out sites or even on campuses.

I feel like a better idea would be to simply play the CFP after bowl season. That way, you have full power matchups in the NY6. This year, that would have gotten you something like:

Rose: #2 OSU vs. #6 Oregon

Sugar: #1 LSU vs. #4 OU

Orange: #3 Clemson vs. #5 Georgia

Fiesta: #7 Baylor vs. #8 Wisconsin

Peach: #9 Florida vs. #10 Penn State

Cotton: #11 Utah vs. #17 Memphis

This would preserve the tradition of the bowls while making them meaningful. Then, play the 4 team CFP but give the higher seed home field for the semifinals. The championship game can be neutral site.

I recall hearing this year that the #1 seed gets to choose which Semifinal game they go to, which explains LSU in Atlanta and Clemson/Ohio State in Phoenix. It also explains the 2014 results with Alabama being in NOLA and Ohio State left out of the Rose Bowl.
I think they just place the #1 seed in the game closest to their campus.

I feel like a better idea would be to simply play the CFP after bowl season. That way, you have full power matchups in the NY6. This year, that would have gotten you something like:

This would preserve the tradition of the bowls while making them meaningful. Then, play the 4 team CFP but give the higher seed home field for the semifinals. The championship game can be neutral site.
This works for me too. So you’re saying the four highest seeded winners of the six games then go into an on-campus semi-final round (at the sites of the two highest seeds?)?

I like it because it guarantees a spot for the P5 champions, a spot for the highest rated G5, and then four at-larges. Basically like a 10 team playoff but where two of the winners won’t have a path forward.

Although in your example above, whoever wins the Fiesta would be guaranteed. So might be better to mix up the seeds in the Fiesta, Peach, and Cotton so that if the highest seed loses, it opens the door for a lower seed.

you had me right up until you suggested the semi finals be played at a home stadium. That is a deal breaker for many northern-climate schools. I get it that there are some December games for D2 and D3 but January would be a whole different animal for a short notice northern D1 playoff game.

CFN lists the Camping World Bowl, which is not part of the B1G bowl lineup (still ACC vs. Big 12). Still, not a bad list of options. Would've liked to see the Gator Bowl stick around just for something new, but won't complain about possible repeat trips to Nashville or Phoenix.

you had me right up until you suggested the semi finals be played at a home stadium. That is a deal breaker for many northern-climate schools. I get it that there are some December games for D2 and D3 but January would be a whole different animal for a short notice northern D1 playoff game.
That is the flip side. To generalize your argument a bit: how does it make sense that conf champ games, the quarter-finals, and the natty are at neutral sites, but just the semi-finals have a home field advantage?

Probably not gonna fly.

I prefer to think of it as the UNLV Rebel's stadium.
Ahhhh, NO.

It's not only the Las Vegas Raiders' home stadium, it is beginning to be referred to as the "Death Star" because of how it looks.

It would be FANTASTIC to see the Gophers in LV at Allegiant Stadium!

That is the flip side. To generalize your argument a bit: how does it make sense that conf champ games, the quarter-finals, and the natty are at neutral sites, but just the semi-finals have a home field advantage?

Probably not gonna fly.

Sorry, to be clear, in my model, it's still a 4 team playoff, not an 8+ team playoff.

Home field advantage is just one way to reward being higher seeded in the semis. Why NOT have winter football in the north? It works just fine for the NFL when Lambeau is hosting playoff games.

Top Bottom