B. Johnson Salary???

Oly O Hooper

Reaction score
Why does Coach Ben Johnson make $1.9MM / Year (or $950 /Hour)….. Honestly? This is an honest question…..

For those of us who aren't mathamagicians, how did you get $950 an hour? 1,900,000÷8760(hours in a year)=217 if you round up.

Executive salary bloat exists in almost all industries.

When hired I think we all assumed he would make very little but we gave Pitino's protégé the same rate.

Because that is what BIG coaches make. He is actually the lowest (or 2nd lowest) paid coach in the BIG.
He would have been foolish to turn down the job for $500,000. Yet he was offered 4x that amount. Common sense and true negotiation should have determined his pay; not a silly matrix. Whose money did Coyle spend in a manner that indicated he didn't care about it?

Again, not criticizing Johnson, good for him. However the administration is drunk on someone else's dime.

He would have been foolish to turn down the job for $500,000. Yet he was offered 4x that amount. Common sense and true negotiation should have determined his pay; not a silly matrix. Whose money did Coyle spend in a manner that indicated he didn't care about it?

Again, not criticizing Johnson, good for him. However the administration is drunk on someone else's dime.
I believe the corollary is take a bunch of money, place into a 55-gallon drum, add a small amount of fuel, and then light on fire. That is what they have done with their $4MM ($2MM per season) so far.

I feel pretty confidently that most people could have been much more productive with $4MM, but what do I know?

Johnson's salary is completely irrelevant. It's actually quite low by B1G standards. Any other hire would be making as much, or likely more.

What matters is performance, not salary. Salary is a given.

Johnson is a disaster, at least so far. That's what matters. He could be making $1 or $5m. Who cares? It's beside the point.

Johnson's salary is completely irrelevant. It's actually quite low by B1G standards. Any other hire would be making as much, or likely more.

What matters is performance, not salary. Salary is a given.

Johnson is a disaster, at least so far. That's what matters. He could be making $1 or $5m. Who cares? It's beside the point.
My thinking is whatever his salary is, it better be last in the Big 10 based on his resume coming in compared to all other HCs in the Big 10.

Reactions: MRJ

If I could be BIG commissioner/dictator for a day, I would impose the following: All BIG schools pool their BB HC salaries. Then we set up 14 salaries. 8M,7.5,7,6.5,6,5.5,5,4.5,4,3.5,3,2.5,2,1.5M. When the season starts, each HC gets a prorated amount of the lowest salary. Then, when the season is over, if you win the BIG you get the 8M. If you are 2nd in the BIG, you get 7.5M and so on. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Who is getting paid less? That's a steal. Idk how Johnson would make more than anyone else.
Correct! Building a program on the cheap and can increase with improvement. If it doesn't work out they can go bigger on the next hire.

on the other hand - if the Gophers hired a new (black) coach and paid him significantly less than the former (white) coach, I suspect that a few people would bring up the discrepancy.

I assume Johnson has an agent who advised him on the contract. No matter how eager you may be to take a job, you still want to get paid a salary that is equivalent to other coaches. In Johnson's case - 1st time head coach - but at a P5 Conference. He's not going to be working for $500,000 a year.

2000 hour work year. I am sure laws will be changed in the future to require paying people while they are sleeping but we aren't there yet.
Although I think coaches are overpaid, there is no way he’s only working 2000 hours a year. I would bet 65-80 hour weeks are the norm

Top Bottom