Avante Dickerson declines to sign, taking it to February

hungan1

Reaction score
Per 247 Sports...
Nebraska is using his HS teammate and BF Koby Bretz to pressure him to sign with Nebraska. He also has not visited the Gophers campus in person.

Are the Gophers going to leave a spot for him open? PJ Fleck likes to Row the Boat without much delay.

Will PJ Fleck leave a spot open for him? He is one passenger worth sending a boat for.

Last edited:

Great opportunity to beat Nebraska again. Don't blame the kid for wanting to visit Minnesota first before committing. Don't know if we should read more into this or not.

hopefully he signs in, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it

Not a great sign though

Yeah, not ideal. But there is still hope. Get him on campus. I’d rather he make a sure decision, it’s more harmful to the team if a kid makes the wrong choice and transfers after a year.

Not ideal, but certainly want Avante to be all in if/when he signs!

Why would he want to be a loser er.. I mean a cornhusker?

I wouldn't say he is gone yet. If there were any year for a kid to take some more time, this COVID year is it.
Not at all wrong.

But if guys like Ortiz can commit and buy in to Fleck's culture and program, and believe it will be the best decision for them based on the virtual tours and countless online discussions ......... why would Dickerson or Townley need "more time", if it wasn't so that they could explore their options for somewhere else to go?

Not at all wrong.

But if guys like Ortiz can commit and buy in to Fleck's culture and program, and believe it will be the best decision for them based on the virtual tours and countless online discussions ......... why would Dickerson or Townley need "more time", if it wasn't so that they could explore their options for somewhere else to go?
Unless Fleck says sign or we’re moving on, Townley and Dickerson have that luxury to weigh their options.

Unless Fleck says sign or we’re moving on, Townley and Dickerson have that luxury to weigh their options.
Didn't say otherwise. What I said is, why is Ortiz able to do it, but those two can't? My wild guess is, if they had few doubts about Minn, they'd be signed, thus they're looking elsewhere.

Didn't say otherwise. What I said is, why is Ortiz able to do it, but those two can't? My wild guess is, if they had few doubts about Minn, they'd be signed, thus they're looking elsewhere.

Well obviously they want to look at some other schools more and/or look at Minnesota more. Ortiz was confident and sure about his choice the other two aren’t yet. These two aren’t sure about MN or any other school yet.

Well obviously they want to look at some other schools more and/or look at Minnesota more. Ortiz was confident and sure about his choice the other two aren’t yet. These two aren’t sure about MN or any other school yet.
You keep bringing up the "what", and I keep asking about the "why". Oh well, we'll never get the full behind the scenes story.

Not at all wrong.

Two thoughts:

1. All kids are different. Clearly.
2. Townley and Dickerson were obviously still getting heavy pressure from multiple schools. I'm sure they are considering options. (Ortiz for example, pretty clearly shut it down with other schools and was firm about that).

Thanks for the reality check. That's why I come here. I am Negative Nancy Hyper-drive

He must be getting enormous pressure to not be a Gopher. I don't think we're very popular down there right now.

Up to five free trips are allowed by the NCAA will give kids a chance to explore options if they are uncertain. As a previous poster have said, it is better for some kids to take their time on a momentous decision rather than signing and then transferring.

Up to five free trips are allowed by the NCAA will give kids a chance to explore options if they are uncertain. As a previous poster have said, it is better for some kids to take their time on a momentous decision rather than signing and then transferring.

when do you foresee these visits happening in our COVID world?

It’s the whole peer pressure thing. Some kids make a decision and can stick to it. Others have friends, media, whoever in their ear and can bend/buckle on that pressure.

I think a few kids from his HS program are walking on at Nebraska so he’s probably hearing it from all angles at this point. It’s obviously going to be difficult but this is why you pay Fleck the big bucks. If he wants to live up to the expectations he set from the day he got the job, these are the battles you have to win in the cases of Dickerson and Townley. This is Nebraska at rock bottom in the eyes of their fans and Arizona State. No reason you shouldn’t be beating those programs for recruits.

Controversial thought: Maybe he's watched some game film of the Gopher secondary from this season and isn't impressed with the player development? Apart from losing some guys, it sure has felt like a general regression back there.

Where did he say he’s waiting until February? The writer said it, but is he assuming that or did he hear it from Dickerson? It may well be the case, but the early signing period runs through Friday. December 16-18.

What benefit does he get from signing early? Would much rather see him make the right decision for him than commit to a college before he's ready.

Fleck has built a positive and fun culture. It would be great if he wants to be a part of it, but if he doesn't, then that's totally fine.

What benefit does he get from signing early? Would much rather see him make the right decision for him than commit to a college before he's ready.

Fleck has built a positive and fun culture. It would be great if he wants to be a part of it, but if he doesn't, then that's totally fine.

The only downside is that your best option might move on because of your cold feet. I do not blame a player for waiting, it's a big decision.

When two people/entities mutually agree to something and then one of them gets cold, it's entirely possible the committed party moves on. This is true in business and just life in general. The best choice might not always be there waiting for you.

Top Bottom