Avante Dickerson: #2 Top Committed Prospect Who Didn't Sign Early

Fair enough. That said, I don't think that disproves my wild guess hypothesis. Don't get me wrong, it could easily be incorrect.

There would just be 0.000% sense in not signing during early period for the reason of needing to see the campus in person, when he had over a year to do so, and did do so all the way over at Columbus, and then a week later releasing a video seeming to reconfirm his commitment here.

There had to have been something else. We'll probably never get to know that reason.

But, to be fair, you don't know.

For all you know, it could be as simple as a kid was facing a potentially life-altering decision and got cold feet.

nothing suspicious - or untoward - or devious.

Just a kid who wanted to take a little more time to make up his mind. Shoot - I can spend a half-hour trying to decide what to watch on Hulu.

Is it that surprising that a kid might want more time to consider one of the biggest decisions of his life to date?

Horses - not Zebras.

But, to be fair, you don't know.

For all you know, it could be as simple as a kid was facing a potentially life-altering decision and got cold feet.

nothing suspicious - or untoward - or devious.

Just a kid who wanted to take a little more time to make up his mind. Shoot - I can spend a half-hour trying to decide what to watch on Hulu.

Is it that surprising that a kid might want more time to consider one of the biggest decisions of his life to date?

Horses - not Zebras.
Especially during Covid.

That was a strange video. Would his delay in signing prevent him from joining for spring ball if it exists?

The video he posted is now his "pinned" post.
His previously "pinned" post was his commitment post to the U.
Take it for what it's worth.

That was a strange video. Would his delay in signing prevent him from joining for spring ball if it exists?
I'm hoping we don't do true spring ball until May (at the earliest), after finals for the spring semester. Gives the players a full semester to concentrate on strength & conditioning, individual drills, and school. I'm sure this fall semester was one of the most taxing ever, mentally & emotionally, and wouldn't surprise me if some grades slipped (wild guess, no inside info).

That said, every freshman could be enrolled for summer and join the team for the "late spring" ball, if Fleck thinks that would be appropriate.

I'm hoping we don't do true spring ball until May (at the earliest), after finals for the spring semester. Gives the players a full semester to concentrate on strength & conditioning, individual drills, and school. I'm sure this fall semester was one of the most taxing ever, mentally & emotionally, and wouldn't surprise me if some grades slipped (wild guess, no inside info).

That said, every freshman could be enrolled for summer and join the team for the "late spring" ball, if Fleck thinks that would be appropriate.

I don’t think that is up to the gophers. Guessing NCAA dictates the window in which spring practices occur. Also, kids are still in high school in May. Can’t just quit and join gopher football.

I don’t think that is up to the gophers. Guessing NCAA dictates the window in which spring practices occur. Also, kids are still in high school in May. Can’t just quit and join gopher football.
All good points.

The NCAA has a lot of rules regarding spring practice (eg, 15 max practices including any scrimmages and spring game, has to be completed in a 34 day consecutive period, etc.), but I don't think the dates are one of them.

For the record: Also old out of shape guys can't just show up at practice and join in.

Just say'n.

All good points.

The NCAA has a lot of rules regarding spring practice (eg, 15 max practices including any scrimmages and spring game, has to be completed in a 34 day consecutive period, etc.), but I don't think the dates are one of them.

Then every team should do their spring in May/June. Take a month off and training camp starts. Way less downtime for kids to do dumb stuff, forget plays,etc.

But no team does this so I assume NCAA dictates in

Then every team should do their spring in May/June. Take a month off and training camp starts. Way less downtime for kids to do dumb stuff, forget plays,etc.

But no team does this so I assume NCAA dictates in
I think the problem with that line of thinking is all the camps that gone on in the summer. Big tools for recruiting. (coaches I think also make a buck off them?)

Not sure, and it probably isn't consistent across the country, but I think May is one of the few months where coaches can take some time off/go on vacation with the family. Then it's back to the grind for the rest of the year.

Anyway ...

I think the problem with that line of thinking is all the camps that gone on in the summer. Big tools for recruiting. (coaches I think also make a buck off them?)

Not sure, and it probably isn't consistent across the country, but I think May is one of the few months where coaches can take some time off/go on vacation with the family. Then it's back to the grind for the rest of the year.

Anyway ...

I’m guessing a lot of coaches would give up family vacation if it would help their team win. The NCAA doesn’t just let you do things.

I’m guessing a lot of coaches would give up family vacation if it would help their team win. The NCAA doesn’t just let you do things.
Coaches are human. They aren't going to work 52weeks a year. May has generally been their "time off". For better or worse. It has nothing to do with NCAA mandates. Southern schools actually prefer to get their spring ball over with relatively early.

Anyway, if you're not going to actually put in effort to find out if there actually is an NCAA rule, then I propose we just go on thinking what we want to think.

I don’t think vacations are a consideration. They recruit during the spring in the warm states that have spring football.
I can’t find it and in November (time of article) I don’t think the rules have been determined. But, I’m very confident the NCAA doesn’t let schools have spring practice when ever they want. There is a window..say February to early April (typically) when you can make your spring practice schedule. When the window is in 2021 is still be undetermined, I think.
As per article, college coaches typically recruit in person in May.
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports...through-april-would-bad-everybody/3761113001/

Last edited:

I'd like the time to speed up to the next signing day. The Avante Dickerson suspense is killing me.

I don’t think vacations are a consideration. They recruit during the spring in the warm states that have spring football.
I can’t find it and in November (time of article) I don’t think the rules have been determined. But, I’m very confident the NCAA doesn’t let schools have spring practice when ever they want. There is a window..say February to early April (typically) when you can make your spring practice schedule. When the window is in 2021 is still be undetermined, I think.
As per article, college coaches typically recruit in person in May.
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports...through-april-would-bad-everybody/3761113001/
Like I said, different regions in the country have different schedules. In the south, colleges do spring ball earlier than in the north. Weather allows it, and they see that as a benefit, letting players focus on school at the end of the spring semester and getting some "time off" before starting summer workouts.

Regardless, coaches don't work year round. They take time off, and some point in the spring is the best time to do that, usually some time after spring ball is over and before summer camps.

I'd like the time to speed up to the next signing day. The Avante Dickerson suspense is killing me.
I'd like to speed up time to May, here, frankly. I foresee the next 4ish months being more of the same: staying home, too cold outside to do stuff outdoors, waiting for the world to return to normal.

I'd like to speed up time to May, here, frankly. I foresee the next 4ish months being more of the same: staying home, too cold outside to do stuff outdoors, waiting for the world to return to normal.

Speaking of speeding up time, being indoors in hospitals or at home since October except for time spent at my daughter's house is hard. Patience and prayers are virtues. It sure would be nice to have the vaccine soon. It is scary to get Covid-19 a second time while my lungs are healing.

Speaking of speeding up time, being indoors in hospitals or at home since October except for time spent at my daughter's house is hard. Patience and prayers are virtues. It sure would be nice to have the vaccine soon. It is scary to get Covid-19 a second time while my lungs are healing.
You must be worse than a chicken in a chicken coup these days being holed up so much. Happy to see that you're on the road to recovery that will have it ups and downs. Row the boat!

Not much movement on Avante as of January 11, 2021:

Avante Dickerson, state's No. 1 prospect, still weighing options, Westside coach says
  • Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald
  • Jan 7, 2021 Updated Jan 11, 2021

Avante Dickerson

Omaha Westside cornerback Avante Dickerson — the state's No. 1 prospect in the 2021 class — is taking his time to make a final decision. ANNA REED/THE WORLD-HERALD

Avante Dickerson “keeps his own corner,” his coach likes to say.
The Omaha Westside cornerback — the state’s No. 1 prospect in the 2021 class — is not easily fooled on a football field nor easily influenced off of it, Warrior coach Brett Froendt said. He stays relatively quiet about his recruiting process, which since mid-December has been a mystery.

Dickerson, a consensus four-star prospect and the nation’s No. 47 player according to ESPN, didn’t sign with Minnesota despite being committed to the Gophers since mid-April. He crafted a short statement about his choice to postpone his signing until later. That’s still where things stand, Froendt said.

“He’s just not sure yet,” Froendt said. “The bottom line is, he wants to try and visit a campus.”Because the NCAA shut down all visits due to the pandemic, Dickerson has not seen Minnesota yet. He hasn’t seen other schools he was interested in, either — including Oregon and Boston College — because of the NCAA’s moratorium that extends through at least April 15. Coaches have conducted most of their work on Zoom or Facetime as a result.

It’s possible Dickerson may be able to at least see Minnesota in January with a general campus tour through the university. Those are unrelated to the athletic department staff.

“Some kids just aren’t ready (in December),” Froendt said. “Obviously, a lot either are or feel pressure to be, because there’s no question there’s pressure to sign early. Everyone wants the kids to be done, out of school and move right onto campus (in January).

“But he just wasn’t sure. He wanted to go see — he’s only seen Nebraska. He wanted a chance to go see Minnesota. If he has to go up there on a weekend and maybe walk around the buildings, that’s maybe what they’re going to try to do. He wants to do that and maybe one other place. That’s still where he is.”
Meanwhile, rumors abound.

Nebraska fan message boards seem to lean on Dickerson joining NU, where his close friend and Westside teammate Koby Bretz is going. Froendt indicated he’s even heard college coaches tell him what they’re hearing about it.

When one of the nation’s top remaining prospects still hasn’t signed, that’s what can happen. But Dickerson, Froendt said, is still sorting through his options.

“He’s just not ready,” Froendt said. “There’s nothing more diabolical than that. Everybody wants to put a narrative on it. He just wasn’t ready, because he hadn’t seen everything yet, and that scared him a little bit.”
Still searching for 'final decision,' Avante Dickerson delays signing with Minnesota
FOOTBALL

Last edited:

Last I read was he was leaning towards Nebraska or Oregon

Top Bottom