Auburn targeting Tubby?

Why would he go to Auburn? Second fiddle school and never a basketball power. I spose if the money is there, it is warm, but I would sure hope he is not that eager to leave. Sources saying he is close to being hired worry me though.

No offense but Minn isn't exactly a "basketball power" either.

Maybe with the new arena and money Auburn appears to be willing to spend,
it makes it an attractive offer to try and rebuild Auburn from the ground up.

So let me get this straight, instead of preparing his team for the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA's, all Tubby has been working on is a deal to go coach Auburn. If someone put Dennis Dodd in front of me right now I'd be in front of a judge on Monday.

Please remember that Tubby had a deal worked out to coach Minn. while he
was still coaching UK in the NCAA.

In other words, this would not be the first time Tubby has done something like this.

I don't mean that in a bad way, coaches do that sort of thing all the time.
It's just the way it is.

dodd's an idiot...now he is saying there "may" be mutual interest

Tubby not stupid he will probably listen to offers but I think he really likes it at minny

Auburn's new arena may make it less of a garbage job then it was, but it's 9,000 seats, that should tell you something. Thier basketball job is about as good as our football job. It has it's positives, but it's not great. Tubby leaving for Auburn is about as likely as the Auburn football coach coming here...not likely.

Can they pay more money? Probably, as thier football program makes big dough. But they're never going to pay the basketball coach more then the football coach. So at most Tubby could maybe get $2 million. He already gets $1.75 here. Despite Maturi's whining, we could afford to match that.

We're already paying Tubby $1.75 million, and we can't begin to match $2 million? It makes it sound like we're a 2 bit school that's stretching to pay the $1.75. The barn is once again selling out because of Tubby, and Maturi can't even think about giving him raise. Salary freeze or not, there's always a way to sweeten the deal if needed.

Maturi should never comment before thinking, or have someone write his statements if he can't put it together. What he should have said is that Tubby has proven that he is worth what the top Big 10 coaches make and when the salary freeze is over, we'll improve is compensation.

It just hit me that Maturi is our Eeyore.

I really doubt it would be about the money IF Tubby left.
Is there that much difference between 2 and 1.75 when you are
a millionaire many times over.

If Tubby left, it wont be for $250,000 a year.

Tubby was negotiating with Auburn at half-time.... that's why the team played sooo flat on 2nd half.

I really doubt it would be about the money IF Tubby left.
Is there that much difference between 2 and 1.75 when you are
a millionaire many times over.

If Tubby left, it wont be for $250,000 a year.

UVa offered him $3 million +. If he's leaving, it's because he's upset about things here (practice faciltity, suspensions, etc.) and not money.

No offense but Minn isn't exactly a "basketball power" either.

Maybe with the new arena and money Auburn appears to be willing to spend,
it makes it an attractive offer to try and rebuild Auburn from the ground up.

Agree 100%. IMO, many people on the board think that Minny is some great destination for coaches. I find that to be debatable. Minny is a middle/lower tier B10 school for BB and FB. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO, the jobs at Illinois, MSU, OSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin are all better than Minny. Minny is better, IMO, then PSU, Iowa, and NW.

I was thinking the same thing. What terrible reporting. That's embarrassing for CBS. I wonder what great inside info Myron has to think that Tubby would be leaving. He loves anything negative surrounding MN.

Wouldn't be surprised if this source was actually referring to Vince Taylor. Tubby seemingly out of nowhere was pushing Taylor as a head coaching candidate. The source probably referred to a Minnesota coach, and Dodd immediately thought Tubby.

Agree 100%. IMO, many people on the board think that Minny is some great destination for coaches. I find that to be debatable. Minny is a middle/lower tier B10 school for BB and FB. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO, the jobs at Illinois, MSU, OSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin are all better than Minny. Minny is better, IMO, then PSU, Iowa, and NW.

Wisky job no better no worse than Minnesota job.

fair point, I think it is debatable...

Much more success than Minny over the past 10-15 years though...But I agree they are in the same ballpark.

CBS says Smith to Auburn?

If CBS reported this, then it must be true. For proof, just look at Dan Rather and what's her name.

Indiana is one of the 6 best jobs in College Basketball. MSU is one of the 12 best. Minnesota, Illinois, OSU and Purdue are on the 3rd tier, somwhere between 13-25.

Wisconsin is close, but not on the same level potential-wise. What have done the last decade is probably as good as they will ever do. At the end of the day they are a football school. And not one with the insane resources of Florida, OSU, Texas, etc.

Michigan is surely NOT a better job then Minnesota. They only care about football and Crisler arena is a dump.

Seriously GTFO of here. Wisconsin is not a better job than Minnesota. Please review the histories of the programs...and neither is Michigan. There's a lot of history at Minnesota, if you weren't a badger fan you would know that.

Indiana is one of the 6 best jobs in College Basketball. MSU is one of the 12 best. Minnesota, Illinois, OSU and Purdue are on the 3rd tier, somwhere between 13-25.

Wisconsin is close, but not on the same level potential-wise. What have done the last decade is probably as good as they will ever do. At the end of the day they are a football school. And not one with the insane resources of Florida, OSU, Texas, etc.

Michigan is surely NOT a better job then Minnesota. They only care about football and Crisler arena is a dump.

Fair enough - so Minny is a middle of the pack B10 job, in your opinion, correct?

Fair enough - so Minny is a middle of the pack B10 job, in your opinion, correct?

I guess you could say that. They are somewhere between 3-6 in the Big 10. But 6 of the Big 10 Jobs are among the 25 best in the country. Minnesota is a better job then UVa, Oregon and certainly Auburn.

1st Tier:

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana

2nd Tier:

Arizona, Michigan State, Maryland, UConn, Louisville, Syrcuse

3rd Tier:

Illinois, Purdue, OSU, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Villanova, Georgetown, Texas, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Stanford, Florida

Just my opinion.

i think you guys are missing the point...i doubt he wants to be at a top tier program...i mean he left kentucky because of the pressure...minn loves him

he won't leave...listen to FOT

I guess you could say that. They are somewhere between 3-6 in the Big 10. But 6 of the Big 10 Jobs are among the 25 best in the country. Minnesota is a better job then UVa, Oregon and certainly Auburn.

1st Tier:

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana

2nd Tier:

Arizona, Michigan State, Maryland, UConn, Louisville, Syrcuse

3rd Tier:

Illinois, Purdue, OSU, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Villanova, Georgetown, Texas, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Stanford, Florida

Just my opinion.

Dont disagree with your tiers - but I do think, IMO, that Minny is low down on the 3rd tier...

How isn't it? A good solid history, playing in a large conference, top five student enrollment, ability to provide decent facilities, good fan base. There is a whole lot to like about coaching at Minnesota.

Oh here we, Myron is on KFAN right now, and they asked him about the rumor, and if you listen to Medcalf, Medcalf thinks it's a good possiblity. So no worries folks, Tubby is staying!

myron is just showing his true colors once again. the only thing that is a certainty with myron is that he doesn't know much and is "not on the inside" when it comes to most reporting. he understands that tubby doesn't like him or respect his bush league work, so basically myron takes every opportunity he can to go anti-gophers basketball and/or anti-tubby. you see it all over his writing style when he talks about the gophers and their present/future prospects.

myron is just showing his true colors once again. the only thing that is a certainty with myron is that he doesn't know much and is "not on the inside" when it comes to most reporting. he understands that tubby doesn't like him or respect his bush league work, so basically myron takes every opportunity he can to go anti-gophers basketball and/or anti-tubby. you see it all over his writing style when he talks about the gophers and their present/future prospects.

I'll 2nd that post Ghost.

Myron is a poor writer, IMO, and has even worse takes on things. I am guilty of reading his work, but I can honestly say it is for the entertainment value of the sh!t he writes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scools12

fair point, I think it is debatable...

Much more success than Minny over the past 10-15 years though...But I agree they are in the same ballpark.

Not sure Wisconsin has as many advantages as Minnesota does when it comes to BB. I think Minnestoa is a better job than Wisconsin would be. Hasn't worked out that way in the last decade or so but that just shows the futility of Monson.

Not sure Wisconsin has as many advantages as Minnesota does when it comes to BB. I think Minnestoa is a better job than Wisconsin would be. Hasn't worked out that way in the last decade or so but that just shows the futility of Monson.

Respect your opinion on that.

But, if you went to a Wiksy board they would say the exacpt opposite.

I do think they are similar though...

Monson also had one arm tied behind his back for most of his tenure. Minnesota is an excellent school with a historic arena and storied history.

what are Minnesota's many advantages over Wisconsin in BB? Wisconsin has a first rate facility, Madison a good city and Milwaukee area a decent pool of talent.

don't confuse me with a badger fan cuz I am certainly not but nothing better better between the 2 jobs other than Minnesota overall maybe better BB talent within the state. the thought that Minnesota's program is overall better then Wisconsin at this point is wrong.

what are Minnesota's many advantages over Wisconsin in BB? Wisconsin has a first rate facility, Madison a good city and Milwaukee area a decent pool of talent.

don't confuse me with a badger fan cuz I am certainly not but nothing better better between the 2 jobs other than Minnesota overall maybe better BB talent within the state. the thought that Minnesota's program is overall better then Wisconsin at this point is wrong.

The question is who has the inherent advantages versus who has had more recent success. Wisconsin obviously gets the nod for the later. Minnesota is not competing with other D1 programs in the state and has a better basketball tradition.

The question is who has the inherent advantages versus who has had more recent success. Wisconsin obviously gets the nod for the later. Minnesota is not competing with other D1 programs in the state and has a better basketball tradition.

True. I still think that Minnesota being one of the largest universities in the united states has some draw as well.

How isn't it? A good solid history, playing in a large conference, top five student enrollment, ability to provide decent facilities, good fan base. There is a whole lot to like about coaching at Minnesota.

And in addition to all of that, if you are a competitive coach (which they all are) MN is one of the few places that can consistantly be top notch due to conference, city, enrollment, facilities, etc, that doesn't yet have the 'name coach' in which a coach will always be compared. MN has been very solid with a lot of coaches, but the opportunity is still there for a great coach to become the Dean Smith, Coach K, Rupp, Knight, Boehim (?), Lute Olson, Izzo, etc. type standard bearer for the future.

Monson also had one arm tied behind his back for most of his tenure. Minnesota is an excellent school with a historic arena and storied history.

Historic arena: Guessing to most 17-18 year olds....historic just means old.

Storied history: People always say that....but what's so storied? We are 9th in the Big Ten with six NCAA appearances....Wisconsin is eighth with 15 appearances. We have more NIT appearances than any other Big Ten team. Only Iowa and Northwestern have longer Big Ten title droughts.

Historic arena: Guessing to most 17-18 year olds....historic just means old.

Storied history: People always say that....but what's so storied? We are 9th in the Big Ten with six NCAA appearances....Wisconsin is eighth with 15 appearances. We have more NIT appearances than any other Big Ten team. Only Iowa and Northwestern have longer Big Ten title droughts.

Six NCAA appearances? Way to be PC. Try 11.

Top Bottom