Athlon's Very Early 2015 Top 25 (Gophers in "Next Five")

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Florida State
4. TCU
5. Oregon

30. Minnesota

The Golden Gophers were a win against Wisconsin away from playing for the Big Ten title. Coach Jerry Kill’s team should be in the mix for the division title once again in 2015. Running back David Cobb must be replaced, and quarterback Mitch Leidner has to improve as a passer if Minnesota wants to take the next step in the Big Ten.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2015

If we beat Mizzou we will be a preseason top 25 team despite the losses.

dont need the love from this joker
just win baby win!

Seems fair to me...losing 2 best players on offense with no one set to take a step up in their places yet. While my head tells me we could take a step back next year, my heart tells me we won't. Fortunately, the Big Ten West looks to be ripe for the picking next year.

To open the season against a consensus Top 5 team is going to be a blast. Lots of time for hype heading into that game and a huge opportunity for the program to make some big noise early, with the dreaded "trap game" at CSU waiting the following week.

Go Gophers!!

What's Athlon's track record on their predictions? My gut feeling it's not very good. Of course that may be colored by their historical picking us at the bottom of the Big Ten year after year.

1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Florida State
4. TCU
5. Oregon

30. Minnesota

The Golden Gophers were a win against Wisconsin away from playing for the Big Ten title. Coach Jerry Kill’s team should be in the mix for the division title once again in 2015. Running back David Cobb must be replaced, and quarterback Mitch Leidner has to improve as a passer if Minnesota wants to take the next step in the Big Ten.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2015

Gotta love these "going out on a limb" predictions. Next year's top 5 will be.... the exact same as this year's top 5.

What's Athlon's track record on their predictions? My gut feeling it's not very good. Of course that may be colored by their historical picking us at the bottom of the Big Ten year after year.

So generally they've been accurate over the past 30 years?

Gotta love these "going out on a limb" predictions. Next year's top 5 will be.... the exact same as this year's top 5.

I never understand this attitude. When making predictions their job isn't to go out on a limb. If you were to predict the outcome of anything why would you go out on a limb rather than pick the likely outcome?

So generally they've been accurate over the past 30 years?

Ah, no, we have not been at the bottom of the Big Ten for 30 years. Apparently the Brewster years are like a broken record in your memory bank.

Top Bottom