Athlon ranks Kill hiring as nation's best

For those saying Michigan failed to meet their prestige, the job isn't the same one that Rich Rodriguez took over. Simple as that. It's easy to see why they fell in love with Brady Hoke. Athletic directions often overcompensate in hiring by pursuing what they felt they were missing.

Look at the U of M when they fired Mason. He was largely seen as someone who couldn't recruit and played cream puffs; Brewster came in saying he was going to recruit; the Gophers were going to play Texas and USC and that we didn't get anything from playing North Dakota St.

What did Michigan fans/boosters complain about with Rodriguez? They said he was someone who didn't "understand the Michigan culture" and the defense was God-awful. So who did they hire? A former Michigan guy who has earned his coaching stripes on the defensive side of the ball, a guy who refused to wear red while coaching at schools with red part of their uniform, because he still harbored a hatred of Ohio State. (To be fair, the Michigan job isn't what it was four years ago. They won three conference games last year, but one was against Indiana in the closing seconds and another was in three overtimes against Illinois.)

What did Minnesota look for after Brewster, who was an awful tactician? They hired a guy known for x's and o's and building programs at smaller schools. They went for a guy who was above all else a coach first, rather than a recruiter.

Sounds like Michigan and Minnesota both found exactly what they were looking for, regardless if the Hoke hire met Michigan's supposed prestige.

The NEW standard that the gh posters seem to think should be a Big Ten winning percentage of at LEAST 50% or higher. Many on this board seem to think that should be very easy to achieve. Oh yes, and contend for the top three positions in the conference most of the time and win it all a couple of times a decade.

Please quote a post where anybody said it would be very easy to achieve a 50% BT record. That doesn't mean that shouldn't be a goal, though. Barry Alvarez, Bret B, and Kirk Ferentz all have +50% BT records and there is NO reason that we shouldn't be on par with WI and IA.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be happy if we're playing on NYD every now and then and go to the Rose Bowl once in my life.

Top Bottom