Athan Kaliakmanis was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Kaliakmanis Honored by Big Ten

University of Minnesota quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week today after his performance on Saturday at Wisconsin.

Kaliakmanis led the Gophers to a 23-16 border battle win against the Badgers and set career highs in completions (19), attempts (29), yards (319) and touchdowns (2). He completed nine passes of 15 yards or more and averaged 16.8 yards per completion, as Minnesota rallied from a 16-13 fourth-quarter deficit to retain Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

The Kaliakmanis-led offense finished with 416 yards of total offense (319 passing and 97 rushing), which was the most yards for the Gophers against the Badgers since racking up 501 yards in 2007. Minnesota’s 319 passing yards was its second-highest total this season (372 vs Western Illinois), the second-most against Wisconsin since 2000 (352 in 2007) and the second-most allowed by the Badgers (320 vs Purdue) this year.

Kaliakmanis is the first Gopher to be named Big Ten Freshman of the Week since Justin Walley received the honor on Nov. 29, 2021. He is the first Minnesota quarterback to be feted since Tanner Morgan earned the weekly honor on Oct. 29, 2018.

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

Kaliakmanis Honored by Big Ten

University of Minnesota quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week today after his performance on Saturday at Wisconsin.

Kaliakmanis led the Gophers to a 23-16 border battle win against the Badgers and set career highs in completions (19), attempts (29), yards (319) and touchdowns (2). He completed nine passes of 15 yards or more and averaged 16.8 yards per completion, as Minnesota rallied from a 16-13 fourth-quarter deficit to retain Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

The Kaliakmanis-led offense finished with 416 yards of total offense (319 passing and 97 rushing), which was the most yards for the Gophers against the Badgers since racking up 501 yards in 2007. Minnesota’s 319 passing yards was its second-highest total this season (372 vs Western Illinois), the second-most against Wisconsin since 2000 (352 in 2007) and the second-most allowed by the Badgers (320 vs Purdue) this year.

Kaliakmanis is the first Gopher to be named Big Ten Freshman of the Week since Justin Walley received the honor on Nov. 29, 2021. He is the first Minnesota quarterback to be feted since Tanner Morgan earned the weekly honor on Oct. 29, 2018.

Go Gophers!!

The first of many such accolades 👍👍👍👍👍

Last edited:

It was a splendid performance, and best of all he was clutch when it mattered most.

I thought the young gun played well. But I will say this...his receivers/TEs were great. A few of his very big/helpful/important completions were on great catches.

Wright moss'd that dude for 45, BSF had some solid YAC and on the play AK took the big hit (that *wasnt* targeting) he adjusted very well to the ball, Jackson's sideline footwork was special on that big completion. Even Le'Meke taking off for 45 was a really nice throw but he did the work. AK put them in the spots--not discounting that.

I thought the young gun played well. But I will say this...his receivers/TEs were great. A few of his very big/helpful/important completions were on great catches.

Wright moss'd that dude for 45, BSF had some solid YAC and on the play AK took the big hit (that *wasnt* targeting) he adjusted very well to the ball, Jackson's sideline footwork was special on that big completion. Even Le'Meke taking off for 45 was a really nice throw but he did the work. AK put them in the spots--not discounting that.
Fun when they’re on the same page

It wasn't the winner but I thought standing in there and making this throw was really impressive:

I still don't understand how that play isn't targeting.

Great play by AK and he popped right up after getting seriously head-hunted (he's lucky).

Great play by AK and he popped right up after getting seriously head-hunted (he's lucky).
Facemask to facemask hit.

I think the replay showed it wasn't a big collison to the head, wasn't the crown of the helmet, no launch or anything like that.

Facemask to facemask hit.

I think the replay showed it wasn't a big collison to the head, wasn't the crown of the helmet, no launch or anything like that.
Was Athan considered defenseless?

"Players are also prohibited from targeting and marking forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless player with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder"

If so, any contact to the head/neck is considered targeting.

"Players are also prohibited from targeting and marking forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless player with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder"

Yes, he was defenseless. Plus, his head bounced off the turf like a super ball. I thought for sure he wouldn't get up.

It was rulebook targeting and anyone who says otherwise didn’t read the rule book

I personally think there should be 2 varieties of targeting and that variety should NOT be an ejection. Would be interesting to see what the big ten has to say about the play. My guess is they looked for crown, didn’t see it so overturned but incorrectly didn’t even consider article 4 of the rule.

I still don't see, at minimum, how it wasn't roughing the passer. I've seen QBs get their facemask brushed or helmet hit by a hand and it's 'contact' to the helmet. AK got straight up helmet to helmet contact and no call.

I'm giving up on ever being able to spell Athan's last name correctly - can we go with "the Greek Freak", or "the Greek Gun" (I like that better than the "Greek Rifle") or something like that???

AK4723 next year.

Look to see the run/pass ratio flip next season to 40/60. Keep the running backs happy too.

It is too bad that the Gophers lost to Iowa. One or two games leave a bad taste in our mouths every season.

It is all going to change with the AK era. The explosive offense that we have been craving is coming! AK will spend time with his wide receivers in the off-season synchronizing.

We need to shore up both offensive and defensive lines and get a Big Ten upper-echelon running back replacement for Mo Ibrahim.

I have no idea where these stats came from, but it is interesting and intriguing for next year.

Saw a stat that his QB rating was 180 for the WI game. I’m not an expert on the calculation of this rating but he more than exceeded the eye test 4 a dominating performance.

This: Nine passes of 15 yards or more and averaged 16.8 yards per completion. Also the distribution and yardage among the receivers was impressive as well.

The stiff arm catch was beautiful.

Announcers said it wasn’t the crown of the helmet used as the tackler didn’t lower his head on the hit. However, in my mind it could have done similar damage given the blow was still to AK’s head.

Totally agree. If you look at it slowly it's actually the forehead part of the helmet that he is hit with...and definitely defenseless.

Top Bottom