At what point would you say, Brewster deserves another year?

Glad your mind is made up. We appreciate the support and insight. See you next fall!!

I'm sorry the truth hurts. I've supported Brewster and this team a great deal more than the majority of the posters on this site the past couple of years. But it's time to read the writing on the wall. Unless he makes drastic changes to his current strategy Brewster will remain Captain aboard the Failboat.

The ONLY way we even consider giving Brewster another year, and I repeat my opinion as the ONLY way we keep Brewster is if he can beat both Iowa and Wisconsin.

He will also have to get some wins against the likes of Northwestern and so on, but lets show some life in the Big 10.

You mean were not in meltdown mode. We lost handily to USD & NIU looked ok at best against USC. The only game we looked like a program in a year 4 was a game he had 9 months to prepare for. We are in year 4 and some people say 4 or 5 wins is enough to keep his job. Glad to see we as fans have such high expectations for our team. In my eyes he should be gone. You are right about the fact that the bar is not set high coming from the top and that is a big problem. Yeah its good to win, but theres no demand to win and that was made apparent 4 years ago when Timmy was hired.

No, we're not in meltdown mode. We've lost one game that we definitely should have won (USD), one that we had should have had a good chance to win (NIU), and one that most people thought we wouldn't win (USC). Things aren't looking good for a successful Big Ten season, but at this point the wheels haven't come flying off the bus... yet.

If Bruiniks and Maturi had a longer time horizon than the next year or so, then I agree Brewster would likely be gone after this season barring a very good showing in conference play. I'm not saying that winning 3-5 games is good enough for any coach to feel safe in his job. I'm just saying that under the current circumstances it's probably just enough to allow Bruiniks and/or Maturi to kick the can down the road and let the next guy deal with the issue.

As far as expectations go, I'm not happy with the team's current record, I want them to play better and I want them to win more. I am hoping that the defense starts tightening up as the season progresses and the kids get more experience. It may happen, it may not. Unless our D improves drastically our main hope for winning games looks to be through ball-control, and unless we can 'pound the rock' better in future games than we did in the last few, it's going to be a long(er) season.

For Brewster to stick around, it would take the following:

1) Vastly improved QB play. Fewer INTs, More TDs earlier in the game.
2) Vastly improved Defensive play. Not giving up runs of 20+ yards 4-5 times per game.
3) A kicker who hits 100% of his FGs and PATs and puts the ball inside the 5 yard line on every kickoff.
4) Wins over Wisconsin and Iowa.[/QUOTE

You can put whatever spin you want on it, it all comes down to winning at this point. Brewster has been doing to much talking with no action.

Agreed. Unfortunately for Brewster, even vastly improved play probably isn't going to help him if he doesn't get the wins. Moral victories aren't going to cut it.

You all will be so dissapointed when he finishes the year at 3-9 and is our coach next year. Just face up to the reality and prepare yourself. It'll be better for your mental health.

If that's the case, Maturi better be prepared for an empty stadium next fall. Except of course for Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska. Brewster has zero credibility.

The only way Brewster pulls out the tail spin now is a sweep of the rivals and a winning record in the Big Ten.

I'm sorry the truth hurts. I've supported Brewster and this team a great deal more than the majority of the posters on this site the past couple of years. But it's time to read the writing on the wall. Unless he makes drastic changes to his current strategy Brewster will remain Captain aboard the Failboat.

Hey, truth doesn't hurt me, Charlie Brown. Through this season, I've never said one way or the other that I WANT Brewster to stay or to be fired. I don't know and it's not my call.

I've just been telling you for weeks what likely WILL happen; barring the locker room imploding and the powers that be clearly seeing that he has lost the team, the man is very very likely to be coaching next year.

I don't think it's going to be a tough decision, one way or the other, for anybody that's really paying attention to decide what should happen. There are EIGHT GAMES left. One way or the other, we'll see plenty of evidence by the time we're done with Iowa to make the best decision. At the end of the season, we'll either see some very nice improvement and progression on both sides of the ball or we'll see a team that has mailed it in and has given up on the coach. Neither has even remotely happened so far.

I guess the good news, for folks like you, is that you don't have to watch any of the games anymore because your mind was made up long ago. There must be some peace of mind in that.

You all will be so dissapointed when he finishes the year at 3-9 and is our coach next year. Just face up to the reality and prepare yourself. It'll be better for your mental health.

This is my biggest fear and honestly has me conflicted about the rest of the season. I'd love to see us progress as a team, get to 6-6 and feel differently about Brew. My fear is he'll eek out about two more wins and survive without any proof that he's figured anything out. That will make 2011 a wash-out as well. See TCF turn into a morgue for 4 weeks and fill with Red/Yellow for the other 3 will be sickening.

Thanks, but I'll continue to watch the games. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Having an opinion of what will likely happen doesn't mean I'll stop watching the games. Nice disconnect in logic there Ogee.

:clap:

It will be tough to keep Brewster after he goes 7-1 in the Big Ten this year and that still isn't enough to get the Gophs to a NYD bowl game.

No, we're not in meltdown mode. We've lost one game that we definitely should have won (USD), one that we had should have had a good chance to win (NIU), and one that most people thought we wouldn't win (USC). Things aren't looking good for a successful Big Ten season, but at this point the wheels haven't come flying off the bus... yet.

If Bruiniks and Maturi had a longer time horizon than the next year or so, then I agree Brewster would likely be gone after this season barring a very good showing in conference play. I'm not saying that winning 3-5 games is good enough for any coach to feel safe in his job. I'm just saying that under the current circumstances it's probably just enough to allow Bruiniks and/or Maturi to kick the can down the road and let the next guy deal with the issue.

As far as expectations go, I'm not happy with the team's current record, I want them to play better and I want them to win more. I am hoping that the defense starts tightening up as the season progresses and the kids get more experience. It may happen, it may not. Unless our D improves drastically our main hope for winning games looks to be through ball-control, and unless we can 'pound the rock' better in future games than we did in the last few, it's going to be a long(er) season.

Year 4...we're "light years" ahead of where we were yet we look as having a good chance to beat Northen Illinois & being smacled around by a FCS School as no reason to be in meltdown mode?

Thw expectations have dropped horribly...

Thanks, but I'll continue to watch the games. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Having an opinion of what will likely happen doesn't mean I'll stop watching the games. Nice disconnect in logic there Ogee.

:clap:

+1

Year 4...we're "light years" ahead of where we were yet we look as having a good chance to beat Northen Illinois & being smacled around by a FCS School as no reason to be in meltdown mode?

Thw expectations have dropped horribly...

I expect more out of the program like many others here. I'm not saying Brewster deserves to keep his job; I am saying that considering the uncertainty surrounding the U administration that the bar is indeed set lower than in other years and that he will likely be back next year unless the team quits on him.

I'm assuming Maturi has at most two more years here. The new president will likely want to install their own AD, and it will probably be up to that individual to make a coaching change. So, right now the scenario I see is that we stay in limbo for another season and see how the team improves. Ideally we should've passed that stage by now but it's not how things turned out.

I expect more out of the program like many others here. I'm not saying Brewster deserves to keep his job; I am saying that considering the uncertainty surrounding the U administration that the bar is indeed set lower than in other years and that he will likely be back next year unless the team quits on him.

I'm assuming Maturi has at most two more years here. The new president will likely want to install their own AD, and it will probably be up to that individual to make a coaching change. So, right now the scenario I see is that we stay in limbo for another season and see how the team improves. Ideally we should've passed that stage by now but it's not how things turned out.

I don't think the uncertainty around the administration matters and that Brewster will be gone. To quote that mortgage guy firing him without significant improvement would be "one of the biggest no brainers in the history of mankind". Bruininks and Maturi can't let this situation boil longer than this year as their bosses will be screaming for Brewster to be gone.

I think if he goes 4-4 in the Big Ten he keeps his job. Anyone disagree?

It will be tough to keep Brewster after he goes 7-1 in the Big Ten this year and that still isn't enough to get the Gophs to a NYD bowl game.
7-1 big ten record would put us in either the second best contract bowl on NYD or the Rose bowl.

I won't be disappointed because 3-9 is exactly what I thought the Gopher's record would be this year based on their extremely inexperienced defense and another year of inconsistent play from an offense with a below average QB. Anyone who thought the team would win 6 games this year was being extremely unrealistic given the current talent level of the team. Mason left the team in shambles when he was fired and Brewster is still working to overcome it.

Brewster's coaching is more the reason for him being on the hot heat than anything. Brew couldn't coach out of a wet paper bag in year 1 with Mase's kids adjusting to a wholly different scheme on o and d, which is a big reason why the '07 team finished 1-11. Mason (not to compare him to Brewster) and arguably most "average" Big 10 coaches probably gets that type of squad 4-8, 5-7...they wouldn't lose to FAU and Bowling Green plus they would snag a couple of Big 10 wins along the way.

Say what you will about Brewster's ability to recruit, his work ethic...the guy just can't coach and 3 1/4 years in, he's still horrible at game day coaching.

4-4 in conference play, if out of Wis., Iowa, Penn St. or Ohio St. he wins 2 games.

It's gone way beyond what posters here think. People in general have lost faith in Brewster. Can he get that back, I don't know, but it would be pretty hard. The move to the spread was a too radical move, but moving again to the pro-style just put us back at square one. Had Brewster either kept the exisiting offense and focused on building the defense, or moved to the pro-style from the beginning, he might not be in this bind today.

As it sits right now, there are going to be a lot of empty seats at TCF if be comes back next year.

Top Bottom