At what point would you say, Brewster deserves another year?

Two years ago would be the right point.

Two years ago would be the right point.

istockphoto_2634771-hitting-a-nail-on-the-head.jpg

The way things are going right now, nothing. If he doesn't shake up the personnel he's toast. They only way I see him staying is if he changes QBs and plays Kirkwood more while actually seeing improvement from some of the young players on defense. Constant and steady improvement throughout the season. In short, it won't happen. So really, this is a moot point.

I backed Brewster for quite a while. I thought he'd be able to bring in the talent and hire the right coaches to help coach up the team. His hires have been suspect at best and my optimism clouded my judgement at the time and allowed hope into the equation. Unless he shakes things up in a serious way, it's over for Brewster at Minnesota. And so far his willingness to shake things up is comparable to Amy Winehouse's willingness to quit drugs and pack on a few pounds.

Glad your mind is made up. We appreciate the support and insight. See you next fall!!

This is what I think the measuring stick will be:

0-2 Big Tens wins, he is out.
3 with a decent win (anyone outside of NU,PU, ILL) and no horrific losses, he stays
4 or more Brewster stays.

I personally think he will end up in the 0-2 section.

With the President and AD being gone soon I think they would rather not hire a new football coach so they will be giving Brewster whatever benefit they can. But, they can't lose season ticket holders, bringing my take to:

2-6 (3-9), Fired.
3-5 (4-8), 30% back
4-4 (5-7), 60% back
5-3 (6-6), 100% back with the bowl game

8-0, and I might believe its possible....

Even if we were to go 8-0 in the Big Ten; I think the New Years Day Bowl would be a huge disappointment. After Mason, I can't go through that again. One thing that Brewster is good at is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I will never hop back on the Brewster Bandwagon.

I'll think he deserves another year when he lets Gray get some reps at QB & not during garbage time...

His loyalty to someone no matter how terrible they're doing is just beyond disturbing to me. Hell, even Mason had enough balls to bench Maroney...

Considering that both Bruiniks and Maturi are short-timers I don't think the bar is set as high as other posters here want it to be. My gut is telling me that it will be up to the next president and AD to make a regime change in the football program unless the team melts down in a spectacular fashion and Maturi has no choice but to move earlier than that.

As far as wins go, I think if he wins a trophy game and many 1-2 others he'll be OK. A lot will depend on how the team looks in the losses (fighting hard or blown out?) and whether the team as a whole shows improvement as the season progresses.

4-4 means there is a 100% he is renewed.

If he goes 4-4, he probably deserves to be renewed, as that would indicate that maybe he and his team are finally starting to 'get it'.

For Brewster to stick around, it would take the following:

1) Vastly improved QB play. Fewer INTs, More TDs earlier in the game.
2) Vastly improved Defensive play. Not giving up runs of 20+ yards 4-5 times per game.
3) A kicker who hits 100% of his FGs and PATs and puts the ball inside the 5 yard line on every kickoff.
4) Wins over Wisconsin and Iowa.[/QUOTE

You can put whatever spin you want on it, it all comes down to winning at this point. Brewster has been doing to much talking with no action.

If he goes 4-4, he probably deserves to be renewed, as that would indicate that maybe he and his team are finally starting to 'get it'.

You may be right, but he has to have some major victories in that record to stay.

You may be right, but he has to have some major victories in that record to stay.

Well in order to go 4-4, he'd have to beat at least one good team. Say hypothetically he beats Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue, that would mean he'd have to beat Wisky, Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan State, all of whom are ranked at this time.

What!

Considering that both Bruiniks and Maturi are short-timers I don't think the bar is set as high as other posters here want it to be. My gut is telling me that it will be up to the next president and AD to make a regime change in the football program unless the team melts down in a spectacular fashion and Maturi has no choice but to move earlier than that.

As far as wins go, I think if he wins a trophy game and many 1-2 others he'll be OK. A lot will depend on how the team looks in the losses (fighting hard or blown out?) and whether the team as a whole shows improvement as the season progresses.

You mean were not in meltdown mode. We lost handily to USD & NIU looked ok at best against USC. The only game we looked like a program in a year 4 was a game he had 9 months to prepare for. We are in year 4 and some people say 4 or 5 wins is enough to keep his job. Glad to see we as fans have such high expectations for our team. In my eyes he should be gone. You are right about the fact that the bar is not set high coming from the top and that is a big problem. Yeah its good to win, but theres no demand to win and that was made apparent 4 years ago when Timmy was hired.

I have no idea how this team beats anyone else on the schedule. How are we gonna stop Persa when we could stop nameless USD qb in his second game? How will even slow down Wisconsin's running game? Our offense won't be able to play keep away with Iowa. I don't even want to think about what will happen against Ohio St. Another factor in all of this is how little goodwill toward Brewster remains. Maybe Bruinicks will defer to the next administration. My guess is he won't.

Looking forward to the first weather game

In the dome with perfect conditions, Ohio State, etc could roll into town and do whatever they wanted. No wind, sleet, rain, snow, etc. Would love to see a snowstorm or rainstorm where conditions are horrible and by chance we win a game in a battle of turnovers. This has nothing to do with Brewster and saving his job but we would have a much better chance beating a team in weather than with perfect conditions in the Metrodome.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea how this team beats anyone else on the schedule.

I know. It's very difficult to see any light at the end of this particular tunnel. I've been a fan since I was a young boy back in the very early 80's, so I've seen some *hard* times for Gopher football, but I can honestly say that this is about as discouraged as I have ever felt about this football team. It's just a shame...

The Gophs really could win 3 more games. If they play the other games close, like USC, he has a great chance of staying. I believe looking at the length of Maturi and the Brunnicks has alot to do with the coach's tenure as well. I couldn't br more happy...... Not sure the job looks appealing to others and that the School would make the necessary committment to change things.

I would keep him with any 5-3 Big Ten record. A 5-3 B10 record with 12 new starters would be impressive.

Because a 4-4 B10 record is a 5-7 overall record I think he'd be in a tough spot. It would have to include at least one win over UW, IA, PSU, or OSU. If it did I think you keep him another year.

This has the feel of a year where we'll be hoping for a win at IL to avoid a winless B10 season.

Wow -- it's good to see some optimism for the program? 3-5? 4-4? I think it would be shocking to win any B10 games given what we've seen so far. You'd have to admire the kids for not totally collapsing. As to what it would take to have Brewster keep the job, that shouldn't change from what it was prior to the start of the year. He'd need a better year than last year, so 7-5, meaning six conference wins. Since no one thinks that's remotely possible, I see no reason to postpone the inevitable firing. A change now would start the recovery sooner and would show candidates that the U is ready to start rebuilding. There should be goals for the new coaching administration, too. Do you fans agree that by the fourth year, we must win three of four non-conf games and half of our B10 games? That would put us back to where we were in the Mason era.

I think Brewster should be fired, given what we have seen so far. But luckily for him, it is not up to me. Therefore he does have a chance to change my mind.

We must beat NU, Ill, and Purdue to prove we are not cellar dwellers.
We must beat wisky and Iowa so that my heart does not explode with pain and shame once again.
We must beat either PSU or MSU to prove that we are truly on our way up like we should be in year 4 (not simply against rivals or bottom feeders).

OSU would be a miracle. I do not expect miracles from anyone, so a loss here really does not hurt Brew at all, for me.

Bottom line: He must go 6-2 for me to object to him being fired. If we go 5-3 with wins over wisky and Iowa, I would accept a change, but only if his replacement is a flipping obvious amazing coup of a hire.

Only if he goes 4-4 in the conference with one win over Iowa or Wisconsin. I just don't feel, given another year or three, that he'll bring the Gophers back into Big Ten title contention - maybe not even to Mason's level of mid-range success with minor bowls. He's looking now a lot like Salem and Wacker, who - despite Sid's support - were just not capable Big Ten coaches.

to keep his job brewster must: win out. win the bowl game.

anyone who thinks this will actually happen needs to be reported for illicit drug use or committed to a mental health institute.

I agree that he will be renewed with a record of 6-6 or better, but that means at least 5-3 in conference and I don't see it happening.

Remaining games:
Northwestern
Wisconsin (Away)
Purdue (Away)
Penn State
Ohio State
MSU (Away)
Illinois (Away)
Iowa

Small-to-No chance at winning:
Wisconsin (Tough to beat a top 15 team on the road, especially when it is a rivalry game)
Ohio State (Pryor is the man, and the team is loaded)
MSU (They are on the rise, and it is going to be a tough game in EL)
Iowa (I don't see the gopher's offense doing much against Pigeyes defense)

Tough, But Winnable:
Penn State

Winnable, but No Guarantee:
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern

I don't think there is a single cakewalk game for the Gophers this year. I think they will beat Purdue and Illinois, but I am not even sure I would want to bet on that. The best I see is 3-5, but I would probably pick 2-6 or 1-7...

Agree 100%..4-4 at best, and if Maturi meets with some of the returning players and the support for Brewster is unanimous it would be hard to fire him.

You all will be so dissapointed when he finishes the year at 3-9 and is our coach next year. Just face up to the reality and prepare yourself. It'll be better for your mental health.

You all will be so dissapointed when he finishes the year at 3-9 and is our coach next year. Just face up to the reality and prepare yourself. It'll be better for your mental health.

I won't be disappointed because 3-9 is exactly what I thought the Gopher's record would be this year based on their extremely inexperienced defense and another year of inconsistent play from an offense with a below average QB. Anyone who thought the team would win 6 games this year was being extremely unrealistic given the current talent level of the team. Mason left the team in shambles when he was fired and Brewster is still working to overcome it.

The thing that should or could save Brewster for the remaining games would be win the Iowa or Wisconsin game and three of four of the winnable Big Ten Games: NW, Purdue, Ill, MSU and then one of the upsets from Ohio State or Penn State. A 5 -3 Big Ten record.

Before they get rid of Brewster the Administration needs to get one of two things in the next coach. #1) The new coach should be a former head coach or current head coach of a BCS school with a winning program. (Argument here is what winning coach from another BCS school would want to come to the U of M…other schools steal winning coaches from successfully programs why can’t the U of M do it for a change) #2) get a up and coming coordinator from a winning successfully BCS school or Big Ten School aka Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State and offer them the head coach job.

The Gophers should not go after head coaches from the MAC conference with winning programs Big Ten football is night and day to the Mac we had this before it does not win here. If they are going to make a change go all in or just keep Brewster as it will be just the same thing over again in four years with a mid level head coach.

If they win 4 Big 10 games (mind you, we have seen nothing thus far to suggest that this is possible) I think it would be a mistake to fire Brewster. I guess we would have to assume that this is just a very young team that took a while to adjust to DI (in some cases sub-DI) college football. I'm hoping it happens, but aint holding my breath....

Big 10 record

I have been a stronger supporter of Brewster than some. For me, 5-3 would be reason to continue 4-4 possibly depending upon the overall trend and quality of play.

If they went 5-3 in the conference, there would be nice wins in that bunch and it would most likely show big time improvement in the team. If they did that, there's no way he wouldn't be back next year.

Personally, if they went 4-4 and were playing good football in the last 5 game stretch against PSU, OSU, MSU, IL & IA, I wouldn't object to him being here in 2011.

However, it is hard to picture that type of conference season happening at this point in time with what we've all seen thus far.

Top Bottom