At the 2011 NFL draft...

Reaction score
...every time you see a Big 10 (or USC) cornerback getting drafted, ESPN will immediately show a film clip of that player intercepting an Adam Weber pass. I could only stay for the first half of the scrimmage today. But on virtually every pass play with Weber in there, he locked in on his primary receiver from the snap and never looked off. A guy in his 4th year should be able to look off his primary, or occasionally check down. The only silver lining is that Weber's passes looked on target, most of the time anyway.

But our CB's were able to break up a number of passes, and any team with a competent secondary should be able to either

A.pick off Weber, and possibly take it to the house
B.tee off on our WR's as they're catching the ball.

Our secondary was able to decleat a few WR's as they had several seconds to adjust and line up a hit by reading Weber's eyes. I agree with the thread that Alipate looked good, but not ready for prime time. The other good takeaway on offense was that our running game looked improved. That's taking the glass half full approach, as opposed to saying our running game is still sad and our run D has regressed.

I know they had those flag football kicking rules in place, but it would have been nice to see our kickoff's going past the 10. Some of the kickoffs looked like pooch kicks. Ugly.

Sept 18 we play USC. If Weber stares down his receivers in 5 months the way he did today I'll bet you the beverage of your choice that some Trojan defender gets an INT.

I can't remember offhand if Weber threw a pick in our game vs. Cal last year.

...every time you see a Big 10 (or USC) cornerback getting drafted, ESPN will immediately show a film clip of that player intercepting an Adam Weber pass. I could only stay for the first half of the scrimmage today. But on virtually every pass play with Weber in there, he locked in on his primary receiver from the snap and never looked off. A guy in his 4th year should be able to look off his primary, or occasionally check down. The only silver lining is that Weber's passes looked on target, most of the time anyway.

But our CB's were able to break up a number of passes, and any team with a competent secondary should be able to either

A.pick off Weber, and possibly take it to the house
B.tee off on our WR's as they're catching the ball.

Our secondary was able to decleat a few WR's as they had several seconds to adjust and line up a hit by reading Weber's eyes. I agree with the thread that Alipate looked good, but not ready for prime time. The other good takeaway on offense was that our running game looked improved. That's taking the glass half full approach, as opposed to saying our running game is still sad and our run D has regressed.

I know they had those flag football kicking rules in place, but it would have been nice to see our kickoff's going past the 10. Some of the kickoffs looked like pooch kicks. Ugly.

How many picks did Weber throw today?

How many picks did Weber throw today?

That's only because the Gopher D-backs have been coached to go for the man and not the ball. There were plenty of opportunities for someone to try and step in front of one for a pick. On a team like PSU or tOSU where the cornerback knows the FS has backup they might be more inclined to take that risk.

Actually, you have to give our defenders credit for the hits they were putting on WR's. The downside to that approach, though, is that if you get there a split second early its a pass interference flag waiting to be thrown. Particularly with BT refs long and storied tradition of jobbing us on that sort of call. Anyone remember the PSU OT game a few years back?

They've been taught to go for the man? How many of our CB's went for the man and not the ball every time last year? If your first read is open the whole time you look at it, then why wouldnt you throw it? Would you rather he get killed by a d-lineman? Did weber throw any picks? He hit his checkdown man and went through his progressions all day, I thought he played well

The downside to that approach, though, is that if you get there a split second early its a pass interference flag waiting to be thrown. Particularly with BT refs long and storied tradition of jobbing us on that sort of call. Anyone remember the PSU OT game a few years back?

I've never seen a worse 'pass interference' call in my life. There was literally NO CONTACT. That game was over on that play. That play also brought about the greatest string of profanity I've ever uttered in a public setting.

That play is exhibit A of the Joe Pa rule. As long as he coaches at Penn State they will get calls they have no business getting resulting in wins they don't deserve.

I like Joe Pa. I just hate the Joe Pa rule.

And incidentally Weber did spend some time staring down WRs at the scrimmage. But it definitely wasn't all the time. I thought Weber did a better job of looking off the D before returning to his primary WR. That is not exactly 'checking down', but it is often an effective way to freeze the D.

Top Bottom