Asuma Finishes AAU

Mulligan

Reaction score
From the Strib:

Isaac Asuma's days of playing AAU basketball are over, but the star from Cherry, Minn., finished this chapter of his career leaving no doubt he could make an impact with the Gophers a year from now.

Coach Ben Johnson's top recruit in the 2024 class saved his best for the end of his stint with D1 Minnesota, including last weekend in Memphis.

"It just hit me that this will be my last time ever doing this," Asuma said. "Playing with these teammates in these kinds of environments."

The 6-3 senior was proud of what his team overcame this summer, including the ankle injury suffered by fellow Gophers commit Grayson Grove, from Alexandria. Asuma and others gained respect in the July evaluation period.

"I think my teammates stepped up and played well in certain games and at certain times — and it's really helped their recruiting," Asuma said. "We didn't finish how we wanted to, but we got better."

The buzz surrounding Asuma's game was palpable at the Adidas championships in Rock Hill, S.C. Most notably, he picked up accolades from his 21-point performance in a two-point loss against the highly touted Compton Magic, who were led by five-star 2025 prospect Koa Peat.

ESPN national recruiting director Paul Biancardi listed Asuma as one of his top 16 performers, regardless of class.

We still have Hawkins, Mitchell, and Christie next year. Big impact as a sophomore. Certain of getting PT in 24. Get excited about the 23 guards.

We still have Hawkins, Mitchell, and Christie next year. Big impact as a sophomore. Certain of getting PT in 24. Get excited about the 23 guards.
It will be interesting to see if Ben's ground up strategy can work. To work, he has to keep the building blocks in place long enough to get the results. That is tough to do in today's NIL world.
I am very excited about Asuma. He might be a kid you can build a program and culture around.

I am sincerely hoping he is as good as he seems. Only takes 2-3 players to totally turn around a BB program...

I am sincerely hoping he is as good as he seems. Only takes 2-3 players to totally turn around a BB program...
He is showing up very well against elite competition in AAU ball, and let's hope he doesn't decide to play football this Fall, like he's talked about. From the descriptions of him I've read about, he's exactly the kind of person you'd like running the point-great leadership qualities.

We'll see how his talent fits at a Big Ten level, but when you're picked by a number of "experts" at these AAU events as one of the top players it usually means something about your ability. He could be a real difference-maker.

I thought that prior to Pitino’s tenure. We consistently had 2-3 excellent players but our bench and system failed.

It can be true if it’s built around stability and an average supporting cast. If Carr, Oturu, and Gabe couldn’t do it…

Anyways, I’m excited about Asuma seemingly being a big part from the day he steps on campus. CBJ waited about as long as possible to recruit a point guard out of high school, hopefully that means the supporting cast is in place.

Ben excited since we started recruiting him.

Best thing about his performance this summer, is a couple of his haters have zipped their 👄.

I bet he ends up being better than Maytag!
This is how sports work. Money talks and BS walks. Lately his play is talking, so the BS is walking.

This is how sports work. Money talks and BS walks. Lately his play is talking, so the BS is walking.
Duke walks in and scoops him up after dominating late… sadly that’s also how sports work. Here’s hoping he doesn’t have any random AAU handlers who want him to get paid (a little less likely given he’s actually a Minnesotan but still).

Duke walks in and scoops him up after dominating late… sadly that’s also how sports work. Here’s hoping he doesn’t have any random AAU handlers who want him to get paid (a little less likely given he’s actually a Minnesotan but still).
Debbie Downer.

We hired a MN insider so no chance of this happening.

Top Bottom