Assuming no Mbakwe...

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
...do the Gophers have a chance to make the NCAA Tournament? Many people said he was the key to the team's success next season. Without him, the Gophs have zero true power forwards. This puts a big hole in the starting rotation, and obviously affects the overall depth. Minnesota will be relying on a lot of young players and might not be able to red-shirt as many guys as it assumed. Maybe Oto is the next option? No one knows what type of true skill this mystery kid has though. This isn't good...

Nope, no chance. Might as well shut 'er down and not even play the season. Forfeit every game, fire Tubby, regroup and try again in 2011.

What a stupid post.

BIGgopherFAN feels pessimistic about our chances. Shocking. I heard Rush Limbough on the radio today ranting about Obama too. What's the world coming to?

I think we'll see a lot more of RS3 and Colt on the floor at the same time. With Mo Walker, that gives us a little bit of depth at the Center position to play both big men. Our starting 5 cpuld be something like this:

Nolen
Joseph
Hoffarber
RS3
Iverson

BIGgopherFAN feels pessimistic about our chances. Shocking. I heard Rush Limbough on the radio today ranting about Obama too. What's the world coming to?

So you're saying the Gophers are going to be just fine without their top power forward and potential best rebounder and defensive stalwart?

It's not being pessimistic, it's called being realistic. I think deep down even Gopher freaks like you who sit there with your maroon glasses all day know the team will have a tough time without Mbakwe.

We haven't had a true power forward the last 2 years either.

So you're saying the Gophers are going to be just fine without their top power forward and potential best rebounder and defensive stalwart?

It's not being pessimistic, it's called being realistic. I think deep down even Gopher freaks like you who sit there with your maroon glasses all day know the team will have a tough time without Mbakwe.

No, I'm not saying they won't miss him. But you are NEVER optimisitic about the Gophers, even when they're up on Bucky 16 at half-time. That is my only point. And there's no sense worrying about this yet. Trevor hasn't transferred anywhere yet. And even if he weren't transferring we had no idea if he'd be acquitted. The Gophers situation isn't that different today then it was yester or last month. There's no point getting all worried about a situation that hasn't played out yet. Maybe if Trevor leaves, Tubby will get desperate enough to go throw some things around Maturi's office until he lets him bring Royce back, who knows.

I just mainly found it amusing because I knew this post was coming, you are like clockwork.

Right now I will have to say Middle of Big Ten. Ahead of Michigan and probably below Northwestern, 6th or 7th place.

All sunshine for Gophers Basketball:

(1) Opens up new opportunities for undercard. Playing time is the best form of player development. Huge long-term benefits. Some will be ready for the challenge.
(2) Gets the distractions out of the way before start of pre-season. Unlike last season soap operas.

One of the most memorable seasons for the Gophers in recent history was the year of the "Iron Five." Not that one should welcome transfers and such, but life goes on and some step forward.

Nolen comes back and we have no injuries, we should be okay. Not what could have been, but still a good chance at a decent season. The way things are developing, it seems like all those people sputtering about wasting scholarships instead of saving them, might have been wrong. I know Trevor is a power forward but Tubby obviously was in no position to be too picky with all the question marks out there.

...do the Gophers have a chance to make the NCAA Tournament? Many people said he was the key to the team's success next season. Without him, the Gophs have zero true power forwards. This puts a big hole in the starting rotation, and obviously affects the overall depth. Minnesota will be relying on a lot of young players and might not be able to red-shirt as many guys as it assumed. Maybe Oto is the next option? No one knows what type of true skill this mystery kid has though. This isn't good...

No. Zero. Nadda. Minus-infinity. We have absolutely no chance whatsoever.

There, feel better now? :rolleyes:

Dont think they will be much better losing a bunch of solid player and on the surface not bringing in much help. Joseph, Sampson, and Iverson will have to get better for the team to have a shot at the NCAA's, IMO...

Seriously, making the NCAA tournament is what we are reduced to talking about now?

Projected roster for 2010 about 6 months ago

C Sampson
PF Mbakwe
SF White
SG Hoffarber
PG Nolen
Bench
PG/SG Joseph- could start instead of Blake
C Iverson- could start instead of Sampson
SF/PF Carter- could start at either spot, senior off the bench
SG/SF Williams- total X factor as the teams 9th(!) man

Contenders for the Big Ten Title, looking to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Oh yeah, and they could have added Cory Joseph to that group too.

Tentative current 2010

C Iverson
PF Sampson
SF Hoffarber
SG Joseph
PG Nolen
Bench
SG/SF Williams- Instead of being an X factor, he's a crucial part of any succes and probably needs to earn a starting role
C Walker-
SF/PF Oto
PG/SG Maverick
SG Hollins
Redshirt Eliason

The starters are talented enough, but they make up a very slow starting 5 and lack a true wing and a true 4. The bench is complete hope and pray that some freshman can play significant roles on a Big Ten team with NCAA expectations.

Don't remind me.

Seriously, making the NCAA tournament is what we are reduced to talking about now?

C Sampson
PF Mbakwe
SF White
SG Hoffarber
PG Nolen
Bench

Contenders for the Big Ten Title, looking to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Oh yeah, and they could have added Cory Joseph to that group too.

Tentative current 2010

C Iverson
PF Sampson
SF Hoffarber
SG Joseph
PG Nolen
Bench
SG/SF Williams- Instead of being an X factor, he's a crucial part of any succes and probably needs to earn a starting role
C Walker-
SF/PF Oto
PG/SG Maverick
SG Hollins
Redshirt Eliason

The starters are talented enough, but they make up a very slow starting 5 and lack a true wing and a true 4. The bench is complete hope and pray that some freshman can play significant roles on a Big Ten team with NCAA expectations.

C Sampson
PF Mbakwe
SF White
SG Hoffarber
PG Nolen
Bench

Tentative current 2010

C Iverson
PF Sampson
SF Hoffarber
SG Joseph
PG Nolen
Bench
C Walker-
SF/PF Oto
PG/SG Maverick
SG Hollins
Redshirt Eliason

Purdue had better starting lineup in 2010 but similar bench - Bade, Barlow, Smith, Hart, Byrd were all freshmen or little used sophomores going into 2010.

No - you're CONSISTENTLY and UTTERLY pessimistic. Why not find another team besides the Gophers?

He never has played a game for the Maroon and Gold. So if he does leave how can we miss him?

Top Bottom