Associated Press Article That Ran In The Pioneer Press This Morning

GridironGus

Reaction score
Huskers seek breakthrough to ruin No. 17 Iowa’s West hopes

"Iowa (9-2, 6-2) has more at stake. A win keeps the Hawkeyes alive one more day in the Big Ten West race. A loss means No. 18 Wisconsin wins the division regardless of the outcome of its game Saturday at Minnesota."

I thought if Iowa loses, Purdue wins and the Gophers win that Minnesota wins the 4 way tie?
Is that not true?

As long as we have the tiebreakers right then yeah we are still in it with an iowa loss. Writer probably just didn't bother to look into what would happen in the event of a 4 way tie and just assumed it was either Iowa or Wisconsin no matter what.

Writer assumes the outcome will always end with a UW win, score is the only variability.

"Iowa (9-2, 6-2) has more at stake. A win keeps the Hawkeyes alive one more day in the Big Ten West race. A loss means No. 18 Wisconsin wins the division regardless of the outcome of its game Saturday at Minnesota."

I thought if Iowa loses, Purdue wins and the Gophers win that Minnesota wins the 4 way tie?
Is that not true?
Keeping in mind that whoever wrote this likely had five other articles due that day and knew that this would be one of his least-read blubs, inclined to cut him a little slack.

Unlike the MN beat writers who sometimes suck at their jobs despite doing nothing else all day.

Yeah, they are forgetting how Purdue affects the outcome

Is that not true?
Yes, Gophers would be in - it's based on a complicated formula involving percentages. Minnesota would win the West if Nebraska wins (they may), Gophers beat Wisconsin, and Purdue beats Indiana.

Who would you rather see get humiliated in the B1G Championship game? Wisconsin, Iowa, or Minnesota?

Top Bottom