As you consider who should be the A.D. a little history

husker70

Reaction score
I jumped in the way back.

From 1950-1963 Ike Armstrong was the A.D. A former coach at Utah. He saw the last National Championship.

1963-1971 Marshall J. Ryman
1971-1988 Paul Giel
1974-1976 Belmar Gunderson W. A. D.
1976-1981 Vivian Barfiled
1981-1982 M Catherine Mathisen
1982-1988 Merrily Dean Baker
1988-2002 Chris Voelz
1988-1989 Holger Crhistiansen
1989-1991 Rick Bay
1991-1992 Dan Mieninert
1992-1995 McKinnley Boston
1995-1999 Mark Dienert
1999-2002 Tom Moe
2002-2013 Joel Maturi

The Women Department operated from 1974-2002.

Take a close look at this list. Some were interim appointments, some were political appointments, but very few were visionary. Some possessed uncanny organizational skills, others tireless funding raisers.

The thing i was unable to overlay were the University Presidents who presided over the Athletic Directors tenure. The names like Moos, Keller, must be taken into account.

Kaler seems to get it.

And then their was C Voelz. She was none of those. I had personal dealings with her. Perhaps the most abrasive human being I have ever met.

Too bad Tom Moe had to be jettisoned to appease the PC police. He had the conections to all the big money in town.

And then their was C Voelz. She was none of those. I had personal dealings with her. Perhaps the most abrasive human being I have ever met.

Perhaps she was agitated that you had taken her choice for a moniker?

Too bad Tom Moe had to be jettisoned to appease the PC police. He had the conections to all the big money in town.

How did the PC Police jettison Moe? It was pretty clear from the time he took the job that it would be an interim appointment to do the dirty work of cleaning up academics and merging the departments.

From all reports, Moe is a very able guy and I would have had no problem with him remaining the full-time AD, but I always had the impression he was going to be the Red Adair of the U of M athletic department and my guess is he may have felt the same way.

Did you hear Quincy Lewis on 1500 yesterday? He is the first commentator to admit that pro sports' dominance in the Twin Cities is a factor that the U (and fans) needs to consider when recruiting, hiring an AD, setting expectations.

It was well known that in order finally get rid of the idiotic dual athletic depts. both had to go. If Tom had been appointed and Volez had been let go, the women's hard corps backers would have raised holy hell. It was a political decision, not one based on performance. I had heard he would have gladly remained but knew he couldn't, which was a shame. A very capable man with all the right connections.

Did you hear Quincy Lewis on 1500 yesterday? He is the first commentator to admit that pro sports' dominance in the Twin Cities is a factor that the U (and fans) needs to consider when recruiting, hiring an AD, setting expectations.

Did he go into detail?

Top Bottom