Army vs. Navy game thread (a.k.a. the only football game that matters today)

These announcers are nut jobs.

"It was incredible to go down there. My heart was beating." ... What?

One more Edgar Allen Poe joke and I'm muting this.

Army retakes the lead 10-7! Nice run.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As a Minnesota sports fan, its not often that I'm on the right side of a rivalry that's been dominated for a long time. Go Navy, beat Army! That said, there are no losers in this game as America's best are on full display along both sidelines.

Love watching this game. Would like to see Army win one.

Army back on top 17 to 14!

Poe had just 11 receptions coming into the game. Of course he still leads the team. Good player, I wonder if he has a shot at the NFL? Can these players get out of the service commitments to play in the NFL?

In the 4th. What a game. Army driving to Navy 22 yd line. Down 21-17

Critical fumble by Army on Navy 33 yd line. 8 minutes to go

Army have an awesome team name in the Black Knights.

Army gets ball back. Still down 4

Army has been screwing themselves. A couple of turnovers and a missed FG in the second half.

Mind numbing call there by Army there on the Navy. Whewww.

Navy wins 21-17. Tough loss to swallow for Army

Poe had just 11 receptions coming into the game. Of course he still leads the team. Good player, I wonder if he has a shot at the NFL? Can these players get out of the service commitments to play in the NFL?

That'd be dumb if they could. Go to a different college.

They've allowed athletes to do so. David Robinson would be the most obvious. Dallas Cowboys had Chad Hennings from Air Force Academy.

They are allowed to play, like Mvgopher said. They get reassigned to administrative roles or get placed in the guard. Ben Garland, OG for the Falcons, went to the AFA and serves in the Colorado Air National Guard.

They've allowed athletes to do so. David Robinson would be the most obvious. Dallas Cowboys had Chad Hennings from Air Force Academy.

Chad did 4 years as a pilot in AF (served in Persian Gulf War), Napolean McCallum played in 1986 (duty in Long Beach allowed for it) and he was reassigned his duty on USS California - preventing his play for a few years. Robinson's situation was interesting on a number of levels - among of which was his being 2" over the USNA's height restriction. A lot depends on the branch, your skill set, and where you end up. I think the general consensus though is twofold: 1) honoring your service commitment in some capacity and 2) willingness to work with individual, if applicable to skill set and region they live.
Make no mistake though, these guys know what commitment is and honor that.

u
Chad did 4 years as a pilot in AF (served in Persian Gulf War), Napolean McCallum played in 1986 (duty in Long Beach allowed for it) and he was reassigned his duty on USS California - preventing his play for a few years. Robinson's situation was interesting on a number of levels - among of which was his being 2" over the USNA's height restriction. A lot depends on the branch, your skill set, and where you end up. I think the general consensus though is twofold: 1) honoring your service commitment in some capacity and 2) willingness to work with individual, if applicable to skill set and region they live.
Make no mistake though, these guys know what commitment is and honor that.

You are pretty much spot on. There are a few different means to shorten one's commitment for pro sports. Chad Hall, a 2008 grad of the AFA, served 2 years and then played some pro ball is another example. You are right, no matter how long they serve, they understand honor and commitment.

Top Bottom