Are you essential?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Per some correspondence with the DHS, I am. Now, don't get the wrong impression, I am absolutely not a medical person but I do play a part in some necessary supply chains. I plan to be on Gopherhole a lot the next 2-6 months (who knows how long this lasts) so my essentialness is not going to deter me from posting on here with you all. This is my favorite website and I hope everyone is safe. If you need help, reach out. I think this community is pretty awesome and people will step up.

Note: I may be driving around Minneapolis area a bit tomorrow. Planning to hit my favorite brewery for to-go crowlers. 750ml of beer is a proper serving these days. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL PLACES!

Per some correspondence with the DHS, I am. Now, don't get the wrong impression, I am absolutely not a medical person but I do play a part in some necessary supply chains. I plan to be on Gopherhole a lot the next 2-6 months (who knows how long this lasts) so my essentialness is not going to deter me from posting on here with you all. This is my favorite website and I hope everyone is safe. If you need help, reach out. I think this community is pretty awesome and people will step up.

Note: I may be driving around Minneapolis area a bit tomorrow. Planning to hit my favorite brewery for to-go crowlers. 750ml of beer is a proper serving these days. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL PLACES!

It's national takeout food from local restaurants day, I guess. Trying to figure out which local spot to support today in Scottsdale, AZ.

Dept Human Service? Is there a list of essential?

I had this question too, i think i would be essential (county government) but honestly no idea.

Department Homeland Security.

I am working from home but doing stuff they deem important.

In NYC, licquor stores have been deemed "essential" and therefore allowed to remain open.
Essential is in the eye or mouth, in this case, of the beholder.

rubechat!

In NYC, licquor stores have been deemed "essential" and therefore allowed to remain open.

My understanding is they are essential here too, if they have any stock left. Maybe keeping them open is an attempt to prevent a run.

I am essential, too. Desk confinement and podcasts are not my cup of tea, though.

Work for the State in the courts. Working from home at least through 4/22. Only court hearings deemed the most important are being heard either in person, ITV or by phone. Courthouses virtually locked down to the public.

My wife is a healthcare employee and I consult for several essential companies. I get to work from home but my wife has to go to the hospital 3 times a week at the moment for 12 hr shifts. As this gets worse and it will get worse, she will probably end up working many more hours. Be safe out there and heed the warnings, this is not time to be partying with 20 of your best buds.

Work for the State in the courts. Working from home at least through 4/22. Only court hearings deemed the most important are being heard either in person, ITV or by phone. Courthouses virtually locked down to the public.

Same here. I was part of the skeleton crew that worked through Friday. Since I'm part of Civil it's all remote now. Not sure how it played out at your office but there were some people coming in late last week for things that were not even close to emergencies and could/should have been handled by phone or mail.

With universities having to go fully online, I have been training faculty for use of instructional software. The last 3 weeks have been 60-80 hours per week. Many faculty are new to online education and need basic skills training to get them ready.
I'm grateful for the job, yet exhausted in the effort.

Construction/engineering field is considered essential even the desk jobs for it are. As I am still hard at it in our office.

My daughter lives in Denver. They announced closing liquor stores Tuesday as of that evening and the rush on liquor stores was so epic that they rescinded the decision same day. Guessing other states saw that and decided to not risk the riot.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03...rces-reversal-on-liquor-and-marijuana-stores/

Side note, Total Wine has 6ft tape lines marked off at registers to help customers stay spaced.

My company is essential and I'm going to work every day, make medical and defense products. Trickle down effect seems to cover basically 99% of manufacturing jobs because your either making something essential or your making something or servicing something that is essential to someone up the chain who is essential.

Maybe there are machine shops that only make parts for fidget spinners that are shut down, but hard to think of much that gets made that doesn't eventually become essential.

My daughter lives in Denver. They announced closing liquor stores Tuesday as of that evening and the rush on liquor stores was so epic that they rescinded the decision same day. Guessing other states saw that and decided to not risk the riot.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03...rces-reversal-on-liquor-and-marijuana-stores/

Side note, Total Wine has 6ft tape lines marked off at registers to help customers stay spaced.

My company is essential and I'm going to work every day, make medical and defense products. Trickle down effect seems to cover basically 99% of manufacturing jobs because your either making something essential or your making something or servicing something that is essential to someone up the chain who is essential.

Maybe there are machine shops that only make parts for fidget spinners that are shut down, but hard to think of much that gets made that doesn't eventually become essential.

Also, liquor stores need to stay open because if alcoholics are unable to purchase, some will have serious withdrawals and fill up valuable hospital space. May not be essential for most people but definitely needed for some.

Top Bottom