Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

I picture them being desperate, if the new PAC contract is so bad that the 4 corners all leave for B12.
Heck, they want out now but will live with it until conference falls apart. Then I wouldn't be surprised to see B1G giving out a lifeline to fellow AAC members. And they'd have to be part of a conference as scheduling and ability to get in CFP would be threatened otherwise.
This was back on page 2 (in Feb). Trending towards a prophecy.

Last edited:

Just posted on the other thread. Wetzel reporting that B1G is talking to OU, UW, Stan, Cal right now about joining.
If Notre Dame is out of the picture, then this makes the most sense. Clemson is an interesting thought, but outside of 4 good years a couple decades back and Swinney’s remarkable run, they have been an average football team. FSU makes no sense to me.

the only way Notre Dame joins a conference is if NBC or any other network tells ND flat-out that "if you want big $$ for your TV rights, join a conference." As long as ND can get the $$ it wants - or close to it - while remaining independent, it has no motivation to join a conference.

on the B1G stuff - yeah, Twitter just went nuts within the last couple of hours with multiple outlets posting versions of the same story - that the B1G is at least willing to consider adding additional teams. Just speculating here - but that Pac-12 meeting must have been a doozy. whatever Oregon and Washington saw in the proposed deal, it was bad enough for OR and Wash to hit the phones and start asking/begging the B1G to save them.

and all of these stories hitting at the same time has my radar up. someone with an agenda wants this stuff to be out there in the public eye. as Flugaur would say, "Cloak and Dagger....."

BTW - saw a clip from the Arizona State AD. came out with the old "whatever happens, we'll be fine. we are an established program and we will end up in a good place." Which is AD speak for "get us the bleep out of the Pac-12!"

the only way Notre Dame joins a conference is if NBC or any other network tells ND flat-out that "if you want big $$ for your TV rights, join a conference." As long as ND can get the $$ it wants - or close to it - while remaining independent, it has no motivation to join a conference.

on the B1G stuff - yeah, Twitter just went nuts within the last couple of hours with multiple outlets posting versions of the same story - that the B1G is at least willing to consider adding additional teams. Just speculating here - but that Pac-12 meeting must have been a doozy. whatever Oregon and Washington saw in the proposed deal, it was bad enough for OR and Wash to hit the phones and start asking/begging the B1G to save them.

and all of these stories hitting at the same time has my radar up. someone with an agenda wants this stuff to be out there in the public eye. as Flugaur would say, "Cloak and Dagger....."

BTW - saw a clip from the Arizona State AD. came out with the old "whatever happens, we'll be fine. we are an established program and we will end up in a good place." Which is AD speak for "get us the bleep out of the Pac-12!"
And: FSU President told his board today (paraphrasing) "we're getting screwed in the ACC and we will need to leave if we don't get a bigger piece of the pie."

Just posted on the other thread. Wetzel reporting that B1G is talking to OU, UW, Stan, Cal right now about joining.
Another source confirms to Nicole Auerbach the same.

this thread seems to be getting bypassed in favor of the several new threads created to discuss the same issues.

but - as of today, the Pac-12 is hanging on by a thread. AZ to the Big-12 is reportedly a done deal. but there are reports that Arizona State is holding off on making a commitment - and that in turn is impacting a decision by Utah.

meanwhile, the B1G is reportedly discussing financial terms with Oregon and Washington. from what I've read, Oregon is ready to commit, while Washington has been raising some questions - possibly seeking a larger share of media $$.

But - here is the Pac-12 situation board:

Colorado -- gone
Arizona -- appears to be gone
Arizona State -- on the fence
Utah -- waiting for ASU to make up its mind
Washington -- talking $$ with the B1G
Oregon -- talking $$ with the B1G
Cal -- flirted with B1G, but on the back burner
Stanford -- flirted with B1G, but on the back burner
Washington State -- looking for phone # of Mountain West Conf. office
Oregon State -- looking for phone # of Mountain West Conf.

George Kliavkoff -- looking for musicians to play "Nearer, my God to thee..." as the ship sinks.

But 2 of the other 8 schools USC/UCLA when the Arizonas joined are already gone. Oregon and Washington want to be gone, presumably. If Colorado packs up, what's left?

That's why it does not seem so silly. Just my high level opinion.
Agreed, a blow to all of the 10 who have been together since 1978.

So??? They have nowhere reasonable to go.

I'm sure a lot of guys want to be married to a super model.

Not at all a concern. Only been there since 2011.

Will still have: Wash, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Stan, Cal, ASU, Arizona, Utah.

I'd add: San Diego St, Colorado St, and offer Hawaii (football only)/Gonzaga (non-football).

One of many G4Life posts (way back on June 8/page 13) that does not appear to be aging well. :ROFLMAO:

this has gone from soap opera to tele-novella.

media outlets contradicting each other. one media person contradicted himself in the span of an hour based on "sources" giving him conflicting information.

depending on what you believe, the Pac-12 is having a meeting to review a new or revised media deal. if enough schools like the new deal, the Pac-12 could potentially vote on a Grant of Rights - but (no surprise) there are conflicting reports on whether the GOR would get enough votes to pass.

this makes the Gunfight at the OK Corral look like a 6th-grade spitball fight.

I think we can finally answer the question asked in the OP -
and the answer is Yes.

R.I.P. to the Pac-12. cause of death.........they were Kliavkoff'd.

I think we can finally answer the question asked in the OP -
and the answer is Yes.

R.I.P. to the Pac-12. cause of death.........they were Kliavkoff'd.
To be fair, being Kliavkoff'd after being Scott'd is like being kicked when you are down...

Joking aside, If Kliavkoff had just presented a deal 6-8 months ago, the conferences were probably stable for another 5 or so years, his mistake was not knowing when to cut his loses for the stability of the conference.

I'll just drop here one of many of the upcoming articles about Washington/Oregon.

If I remember seeing old schedules correctly, Washington used to be a frequent football opponent for the Gophers.

My interest in CFB wanes significantly by the day. Let the xfl or usfl serve as the NFL feeder system and have the elite high school talent and massive tv contracts go there.

The ncaa gets rid of nil and goes back to regional conferences with preserved rivalries and traditions. Student athletes are just that. Sure, the on field product drops off precipitously in this scenario, but the current trajectory of everything is absolutely ridiculous.

And yes, I know money drives everything so this would never happen.

My interest in CFB wanes significantly by the day. Let the xfl or usfl serve as the NFL feeder system and have the elite high school talent and massive tv contracts go there.

The ncaa gets rid of nil and goes back to regional conferences with preserved rivalries and traditions. Student athletes are just that. Sure, the on field product drops off precipitously in this scenario, but the current trajectory of everything is absolutely ridiculous.

I think the bigger the conference gets the more rivalries and regions will be maintained

The NCAA can't get rid of NIL, it's essentially SCOTUS mandated.

I have a hard time believing it stays at 18 very long.
18 is kind of an awkward number for scheduling.

In a 9 game schedule
16 and 20 are both significantly easier to schedule than 17, 18, 19.
19 is mathematically impossible to schedule in a 9 game schedule.

I'll just drop here one of many of the upcoming articles about Washington/Oregon.

If I remember seeing old schedules correctly, Washington used to be a frequent football opponent for the Gophers.

I was at the Washington - Gopher game at Memorial Stadium when Warren Moon was quarterbacking the Huskies. Oct. 1, 1977 - Gophers won 19-17. I can't find the individual game stats. Washington had a really good WR named Spider Gaines.

Gophers and Washington played a home and home series - Gophers lost at Washington in 1976 and won the game in Mpls in '77.

4 Conferences with 24 teams per conference. Each conference with 4 six-team divisons. 16 division winners go to national championship tournament.

All I know is...my younger drunk self about got in a fist fight with a taunting Duck fan in the Sun Bowl parking lot after Joey Harrington pulled off a late win vs the Gophs in that Y2K Sun Bowl game. To this day, when my wife sees Oregon play, she she says "yuck, the Ducks".

I think we're on the path to a Power 3. Well, a Power 2+1.

4 Conferences with 24 teams per conference. Each conference with 4 six-team divisons. 16 division winners go to national championship tournament.
There's already more pigs than teets, so if seems. 96 teams? As it stands now, ACC/SEC/Big12/Big18 have what they want. Why bring on Colorado State?

There's already more pigs than teets, so if seems. 96 teams? As it stands now, ACC/SEC/Big12/Big18 have what they want. Why bring on Colorado State?
Just going for round numbers. I'm just throwing out ways to have the conferences go directly to the playoffs. Need to have a multiple of four to do that.

I think we're on the path to a Power 3. Well, a Power 2+1.
That's what I was saying all the way back on Page 1/Post 7 below in February. I did not see it progressing this rapidly though. I thought the Pac12 would make it through this decade, at least to the start of the 12 Team College Football Playoff and one TV deal.

I think it's headed towards 2 Major/Power Conferences. Maybe less.

As the great philosopher Ron Burgundy once said astutely, "Boy, that escalated quickly."

1691892530355.png

"Trump at a white board again"

Stumbled across this. Could be garbage but interesting nonetheless…..

Just a heads up...this poster is someone who has been laughed off his old message board at buckyville for outlandishly dumb takes. He became a fake Nebraska fan (and Wisconsin hater) before being laughed out of there as well. His hot takes are terrible and I see he purchased himself a checkmark. This is the problem with the internet.

Flugaur saying Stanford pushing hard for non-football sports to B1G.

Top Bottom