Are Wall and Cousins toting their backpacks?

All of those guys are doing the right thing with the exception of one. And it's hard for me to classify it as the "right thing" given the circumstances. I'm not going to air a young man's dirty laundry on a message board but the individual in question is trying to please his father. Things have been very "difficult" for the player in question and his family the past year and it's taken a toll on them. I wish things could be different but what's been going on with that family has little to do with basketball. It is a very sad situation and if you knew the details I think many would have a bit more understanding of it all and even some sympathy.

It's easy to look at a jersey and define an individual based upon your feelings on the name across the chest. Some of the kids deal with issues and situations many of us could never imagine or hope to understand. Yeah, you can say you'd want all the fame and accolades but what about the downside? What about the pressures that a normal college kid wouldn't face? What if you were the only hope for your family to escape a bitter cycle of poverty and violence because of your skill on the basketball court? What if you were thrust into a spotlight as an 18 year old kid, with tremendous amounts of pressure to perform for millions of people, while trying to come to terms with a crushing personal loss?

The man I am today is not the boy I was 10-12 year ago. That's not to say we all have it in us to be people of high character and we'll all succeed in life on a personal and societal level. Many kids won't. Some will rise above their backgrounds and others will fail theirs. What it does say is that the book on our lives isn't written in the 18th or 19th year but people seem to always be in a rush to close it based upon the most petty or transitory of reasons.

False. Calipari has never been to a Final Four.

Yes he has, I refuse to acknowledge this absolute joke of a punishment routinely handed out by the NCAA. Memphis went in 2008 just like the Gophers did in 1997.

If you want to punish the coaches fine them, don't punish the whole team, when there are players who did nothing wrong.

All of those guys are doing the right thing with the exception of one. And it's hard for me to classify it as the "right thing" given the circumstances. I'm not going to air a young man's dirty laundry on a message board but the individual in question is trying to please his father. Things have been very "difficult" for the player in question and his family the past year and it's taken a toll on them. I wish things could be different but what's been going on with that family has little to do with basketball. It is a very sad situation and if you knew the details I think many would have a bit more understanding of it all and even some sympathy.

It's easy to look at a jersey and define an individual based upon your feelings on the name across the chest. Some of the kids deal with issues and situations many of us could never imagine or hope to understand. Yeah, you can say you'd want all the fame and accolades but what about the downside? What about the pressures that a normal college kid wouldn't face? What if you were the only hope for your family to escape a bitter cycle of poverty and violence because of your skill on the basketball court? What if you were thrust into a spotlight as an 18 year old kid, with tremendous amounts of pressure to perform for millions of people, while trying to come to terms with a crushing personal loss?

The man I am today is not the boy I was 10-12 year ago. That's not to say we all have it in us to be people of high character and we'll all succeed in life on a personal and societal level. Many kids won't. Some will rise above their backgrounds and others will fail theirs. What it does say is that the book on our lives isn't written in the 18th or 19th year but people seem to always be in a rush to close it based upon the most petty or transitory of reasons.

The kid that you are talking about is Orton. Orton's family was cheated by your coach and the university. The kid is a 5-star player but got little playing time. Maybe Uk should have paid him too like they did with the other two players. Hood is also in the same category as Orton. Your coach did everything to destroy their future by not playing them enough. Tubby has a 10-man rotation that works very well most of the time. Maybe he should set up a class in UK for your current coaches.

Great post. Something most people fail to look at is the upbringing or lack thereof alot of these kids have had. Most of us grew up in good families with two working parents who provided everything we needed. Alot of these athletes were raised in inner cities with a single parent or relative to attempt raise them. Their neighborhoods were full of gangs, drugs and violence. Their families were extremely poor, parents hooked on drugs ect ect ect. We've all seen the stories. One only has to see the movie Blindside to get a glimpse as to what's it's like for many of these kids. Not just athletes. I cannot blame a kid at all for using his exceptional abilities on the hardwood, baseball/football field or whatever sport it is to get him/her and their families out of that kind of situation. The only other option is usually jail or death. I challenge those of you who choose to rip these kids to spend a day in the life in their neighborhoods and endure their family hardships. Then see what you would do.

OK...that settles it. A long discussion was held years ago about where the toothbrush was invented. It was Kentucky. If it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

OK...that settles it. A long discussion was held years ago about where the toothbrush was invented. It was Kentucky. If it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

How about West Virginia?

The kid that you are talking about is Orton. Orton's family was cheated by your coach and the university. The kid is a 5-star player but got little playing time. Maybe Uk should have paid him too like they did with the other two players. Hood is also in the same category as Orton. Your coach did everything to destroy their future by not playing them enough. Tubby has a 10-man rotation that works very well most of the time. Maybe he should set up a class in UK for your current coaches.

What?! The coach's job is to put his 5 best guys on the floor, not to give everyone equal playing time. This isn't 7th grade travel basketball. Maybe Orton should have looked ahead and saw that he would have two lottery picks playing ahead of him.

And what evidence do you have that they were payed? Don't be an idiot.

Great post. Something most people fail to look at is the upbringing or lack thereof alot of these kids have had. Most of us grew up in good families with two working parents who provided everything we needed. Alot of these athletes were raised in inner cities with a single parent or relative to attempt raise them. Their neighborhoods were full of gangs, drugs and violence. Their families were extremely poor, parents hooked on drugs ect ect ect. We've all seen the stories. One only has to see the movie Blindside to get a glimpse as to what's it's like for many of these kids. Not just athletes. I cannot blame a kid at all for using his exceptional abilities on the hardwood, baseball/football field or whatever sport it is to get him/her and their families out of that kind of situation. The only other option is usually jail or death. I challenge those of you who choose to rip these kids to spend a day in the life in their neighborhoods and endure their family hardships. Then see what you would do.

Good post by you also.

Orton only got 13 minutes PT per game this year.

He is good enough for NBA 1st round and MAYBE lottery pick.

Guys his size with his skills are not commonplace any more.

Hood played about what he earned. He has lots of improvements to make.

I wasn't going to address the response to my earlier post by a certain member of this board because I found it to be so abhorrent (which is par for the course for this particular individual) but since Daniel himself addressed the issues via Twitter this evening I have decided to say a few things.

First, I feel extremely sorry for you. You seem to carry a great deal of hate in your heart. You need to find some sort of guidance-whether it be spiritual or emotional-to deal with it. Secondly, if your going to show your ass on a public forum and talk about things based upon nothing more than that intense hatred you carry around with you perhaps you should take a moment and ask yourself how would you feel if people were carrying on in that fashion about your child.

Lastly, if you feel the need to address any post of mine I may make in the future on this forum-don't. I have no need or inclination to engage you on any level. I don't agree with FoT on many things but I do know this: I've met people who know both him and his stepdaughter and they've all attested that he's a kind and humble man. I will take those peoples word and no matter how misguided I think his conclusions are or irrational he may act in his defense of Coach Smith I consider that the final say on the matter. I don't know you The Real Truth nor do I know anyone who has interacted with you but based upon your repeated trollish behavior I can't say that I would want to.

I wasn't going to address the response to my earlier post by a certain member of this board because I found it to be so abhorrent (which is par for the course for this particular individual) but since Daniel himself addressed the issues via Twitter this evening I have decided to say a few things.

First, I feel extremely sorry for you. You seem to carry a great deal of hate in your heart. You need to find some sort of guidance-whether it be spiritual or emotional-to deal with it. Secondly, if your going to show your ass on a public forum and talk about things based upon nothing more than that intense hatred you carry around with you perhaps you should take a moment and ask yourself how would you feel if people were carrying on in that fashion about your child.

Lastly, if you feel the need to address any post of mine I may make in the future on this forum-don't. I have no need or inclination to engage you on any level. I don't agree with FoT on many things but I do know this: I've met people who know both him and his stepdaughter and they've all attested that he's a kind and humble man. I will take those peoples word and no matter how misguided I think his conclusions are or irrational he may act in his defense of Coach Smith I consider that the final say on the matter. I don't know you The Real Truth nor do I know anyone who has interacted with you but based upon your repeated trollish behavior I can't say that I would want to.

Last paragraph, reply.

I support UK regardless (just like UC and Purdue). I am a fan of those 3 teams. I wish UK players and coaches well. Billy Gillispie was just an error by Mitch Barnhart. He corrected it. I wholeheartedly favor John Calipari as UK coach.

My conclusions are based on facts. EG my rating for Tubby and Gophers this year was C. Many here gave him/them a higher grade. Facts say otherwise. Gophers did OK but not better. Ditto my conclusion that Tubby is one of Top 10-15 Div I coaches. Facts PROVE that.

Some/many UK fans are another matter. The UK fanbase has many great folks and some who are anything but great.

0 Final Fours for Calimari

He's been to 2 FF - 1996 and 2008.

Again, False. Both Final Four appearances have been vacated by the NCAA due to violations. Check the record books. Very similar to what will happen to this years Kentucky victories, without a Final Four appearance.

What?! The coach's job is to put his 5 best guys on the floor, not to give everyone equal playing time. This isn't 7th grade travel basketball. Maybe Orton should have looked ahead and saw that he would have two lottery picks playing ahead of him.

And what evidence do you have that they were payed? Don't be an idiot.

Prolific, how much do you know about Orton? Even his coach (Calamari) said on Saturday that he was going to be a 1st round pick.

If you think that these 2 players just picked UK over other schools such as Memphis for their love for Calamari, you are an idiot. No, I don't have any evidence but I made such an statement based on this coach's history.

Like coach Knight said (may not be the exact words),"I can't believe that people like that guy at Kentucky are still coaching".

Saw Wall, Cousin, etc. in the front row at the McDonald's AA game on ESPN. Questions:

1. How was school that day?
2. How was school the following day? I'm sure they flew in and flew out the day of the game...right?
3. Who paid for the courtside seats?
4. Who paid for the airfare?
5. Who paid for the bling?

Again, False. Both Final Four appearances have been vacated by the NCAA due to violations. Check the record books. Very similar to what will happen to this years Kentucky victories, without a Final Four appearance.

Calipari coached both teams to FF and was not implicated in either NCAA investigation.

He went to those 2 FF, absurd to say otherwise.

Saw Wall, Cousin, etc. in the front row at the McDonald's AA game on ESPN. Questions:

1. How was school that day?
2. How was school the following day? I'm sure they flew in and flew out the day of the game...right?
3. Who paid for the courtside seats?
4. Who paid for the airfare?
5. Who paid for the bling?

1. Spring break.
2. Spring break.
3. Athletes often get complimentary seats.
4. Lexington to Columbus is 4 hr drive. No need to fly.
5. Huh?

1. Spring break.
2. Spring break.
3. Athletes often get complimentary seats.
4. Lexington to Columbus is 4 hr drive. No need to fly.
5. Huh?

So why were Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe courtside and Evan Turner was not? This was OSU's home court, if any of them should've been courtside, it was Turner.

So why were Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe courtside and Evan Turner was not? This was OSU's home court, if any of them should've been courtside, it was Turner.

Evan Turner was there.

The game is a college basketball preview, and there was plenty of the past around as well, with Kentucky stars John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe seated courtside, refusing interviews and signing autographs while wading through a mob after the game. Turner, who signed for fans earlier, left the building in the final minutes after granting a TV interview during the game. His future, as much as the futures of Sullinger and Thomas, is what is on the mind of Ohio State fans.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2010/03/mcdonaldsgame.html

Prolific, how much do you know about Orton? Even his coach (Calamari) said on Saturday that he was going to be a 1st round pick.

If you think that these 2 players just picked UK over other schools such as Memphis for their love for Calamari, you are an idiot. No, I don't have any evidence but I made such an statement based on this coach's history.

Like coach Knight said (may not be the exact words),"I can't believe that people like that guy at Kentucky are still coaching".

First of all, Daniel Orton signed with UK BEFORE Calipari was coach. He was recruited by Billy G.

Get your facts straight so at least when you lie about someone you can make it more believable.

First of all, Daniel Orton signed with UK BEFORE Calipari was coach. He was recruited by Billy G.

Get your facts straight so at least when you lie about someone you can make it more believable.

A typical ignorant post by a UK fan. Go back to my 1st post and find out when I said that Orton was recruited by Calamari. I knew that your previous drunk coach did it but hopes where gone when your current coach played his favorites on the court. When there is a coach-changing, a player who has already commited can transfer. When your new coach took over, he made promises to the other players that were not recruited by him. He failed to deliver because he is a lying bastard.

Evan Turner was there.

The game is a college basketball preview, and there was plenty of the past around as well, with Kentucky stars John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe seated courtside, refusing interviews and signing autographs while wading through a mob after the game. Turner, who signed for fans earlier, left the building in the final minutes after granting a TV interview during the game. His future, as much as the futures of Sullinger and Thomas, is what is on the mind of Ohio State fans.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2010/03/mcdonaldsgame.html

You're missing the point - Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were courtside. Evan Turner was there and his seats were close to the court but his seats were not on the court like the UK players (i.e., the UK players had better seats and their seats were more valuable). I don't believe courtside tickets would be made complimentary. I thought it was unusual that the UK players would have better seats at OSU's arena than OSU's star player.

You're missing the point - Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were courtside. Evan Turner was there and his seats were close to the court but his seats were not on the court like the UK players (i.e., the UK players had better seats and their seats were more valuable). I don't believe courtside tickets would be made complimentary. I thought it was unusual that the UK players would have better seats at OSU's arena than OSU's star player.

Stop it OSUfan. Didn't you know that these two guys were working on weekends to earn money to pay for this? Shame on you.

Admittedly, I'd have a severe case of freshmanitis :) if I knew I was leaving school for the NBA draft as a top 5 pick. However, it's up to the coach, school, and administrators to make sure they complete their school work and maintain some level of integrity to the process. If you want some teeth to the policy, you can make it that way. Vince Carter has said one of his biggest regrets was letting himself slide and take incompletes or failing grades after he knew he wasn't coming back. He ended up completing his degree later on but it took a much bigger effort.

The one player at Duke that tried to pull that was asked to leave the school/campus completely and immediately: William Avery. He's the one player that I can think of that has never been asked back for reunion events/weekends for former Duke players.

I don't think Maggette got his degree either.

OSU doesn't have control of the game tickets like Buckeye games. McDonalds has control.

Top Bottom