Are These Big Ten Coaches On The Hot Seat? (MN, Ben Johnson: Hot Seat Status: On Fire)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Andy:

Are These Big Ten Coaches on the Hot Seat?​

Ben Johnson, Minnesota​

After struggling for his first two seasons, Ben Johnson enters his third season squarely on the hot seat. Last year, the Golden Gophers didn’t even win ten games and had embarrassing losses to UNLV and DePaul. Minnesota also lost one of its best players after Jamison Battle transferred to Ohio State.

Things are looking bleak again for the Golden Gophers this season. Minnesota is expected to finish last in the conference and will likely have fewer wins this year than last. They return Dawson Garcia, who was the team’s highest scorer last season.
The only way Johnson can save his job is by significantly improving his team. He does not have to make the NCAA Tournament, but he likely has to be a bubble team and make the NIT.

Hot Seat Status: On Fire​

Go Gophers!!

So I take it, last word on sports, is written for casual fans. The writer likes sports, but doesn’t follow the Big Ten. Probably uses AI to write, then changes the conclusion to sound like they have flair.

Per Andy:

Are These Big Ten Coaches on the Hot Seat?​

Ben Johnson, Minnesota​

After struggling for his first two seasons, Ben Johnson enters his third season squarely on the hot seat. Last year, the Golden Gophers didn’t even win ten games and had embarrassing losses to UNLV and DePaul. Minnesota also lost one of its best players after Jamison Battle transferred to Ohio State.

Things are looking bleak again for the Golden Gophers this season. Minnesota is expected to finish last in the conference and will likely have fewer wins this year than last. They return Dawson Garcia, who was the team’s highest scorer last season.
The only way Johnson can save his job is by significantly improving his team. He does not have to make the NCAA Tournament, but he likely has to be a bubble team and make the NIT.

Hot Seat Status: On Fire​

Go Gophers!!
This is a pretty poor assessment. Less wins that last year? Nope. I think we have to file this one under the writer getting lazy and just assuming that the Gophers will be bad because, gasp, they lost Battle- one of the least efficient players on the team and perhaps the worst defender we had. Battle is a good to great shooter when he is confident and he can go off for 20-25 points, but that's where it ends.

So I take it, last word on sports, is written for casual fans. The writer likes sports, but doesn’t follow the Big Ten. Probably uses AI to write, then changes the conclusion to sound like they have flair.
and written by a casual writer

This is a pretty poor assessment. Less wins that last year? Nope. I think we have to file this one under the writer getting lazy and just assuming that the Gophers will be bad because, gasp, they lost Battle- one of the least efficient players on the team and perhaps the worst defender we had. Battle is a good to great shooter when he is confident and he can go off for 20-25 points, but that's where it ends.

Part of the piece read like it was AI composed.

It's either 4 or 6 million after the season

It could be even lower than that. Supposedly he received some sort of extension after year 1 but I have my doubts that the buyout years would have been increased. I remember that Coyle's final extension to Pitino did not include an increase in the buyout. We know from the way Coyle finagled Pitino's departure that he's looking to spend as little as possible on severance payments.

I still think the bar is pretty low for him to get a fourth year. I'd be really surprised if we are looking for a new coach after this year.

Interest has never been lower in Gopher B-ball. Coyle will fire ASAP if momentum does not swing up. He can't afford to go into next year with a basketball program that is dead upon arrival. He will have the new B1G TV money and with no significant movements taking place in any other program, it just makes sense to do the move now.

Interest has never been lower in Gopher B-ball. Coyle will fire ASAP if momentum does not swing up. He can't afford to go into next year with a basketball program that is dead upon arrival. He will have the new B1G TV money and with no significant movements taking place in any other program, it just makes sense to do the move now.

This.

You’d be surprised?

Yeah, I would be. First of all, I think they will show "enough" improvement this year to indicate the program is turning around. I still have my doubts that it will lead to anything. But secondly, I still think this university cares as much about optics as it does about winning. They gave Pitino eight years. Johnson will get at least four years. That's just my view.

Is it correct that his buy out would be 8 million?
My understanding, according to Shama, who requested the contract as public information, is that the buyout is $6 million round numbers after this season....smidge less.
So to me, just finishing last won't get him fired.
It should get Coyle fired for the contract but that won't happen either. He keeps being a candidate for other jobs but nobody bites.

My understanding, according to Shama, who requested the contract as public information, is that the buyout is $6 million round numbers after this season....smidge less.
So to me, just finishing last won't get him fired.
It should get Coyle fired for the contract but that won't happen either. He keeps being a candidate for other jobs but nobody bites.

He has the same clause as Pitino did where if he finds another HC or assistant job, the buyout is reduced to nothing.

He has the same clause as Pitino did where if he finds another HC or assistant job, the buyout is reduced to nothing.
I'll disagree. But lets say you are correct...#1 Ben is going to have a tough time getting a job paying him millions of dollars or anything close. By your scenario he can sell insurance and still collect $6 million or coach high school and forfeit the money. Ben is not dumb.

Come on man! It is not like you are saying. They are completely different situations. Pitino signed the Gopher friendly buyout in return to stay employed. Ben just started his run...very different incentives to the contracts.

Last edited:

I'll disagree. But lets say you are correct...#1 Ben is going to have a tough time getting a job paying him millions of dollars or anything close. By your scenario he can sell insurance and still collect $6 million or coach high school and forfeit the money. Ben is not dumb.

Come on man! It is not like you are saying.

There's nothing to disagree on. It's in the contract. I am right.

Pitino went from making over 2 million to 775k at New Mexico. Why didn't he just sit out and sell insurance instead?

Ben will not find a HC job comparable to New Mexico, because he wasn't qualified for that level of job in the first place. Ben can sit out and collect paychecks for several years, but that means his basketball coaching career is likely over. He's still a young guy, is he ready for that? Long term he can still make more money as an assistant, which is what he's meant to be.

There's nothing to disagree on. It's in the contract. I am right.

Pitino went from making over 2 million to 775k at New Mexico. Why didn't he just sit out and sell insurance instead?

Ben will not find a HC job comparable to New Mexico, because he wasn't qualified for that level of job in the first place. Ben can sit out and collect paychecks for several years, but that means his basketball coaching career is likely over. He's still a young guy, is he ready for that? Long term he can still make more money as an assistant, which is what he's meant to be.
What sane person would agree to that buyout in year two of an extended contract? It's not logical.
It would be run up the flag pole for taking advantage of a youthful, first time African American head coach. You are saying there is no buyout effectively. Not the case in this case.
Possibly, there is offset language....he becomes an assistant and makes $250k and now the Gophers only pay $1.75 million per year or some such math. But nothing ain't happening.

Last edited:

What sane person would agree to that buyout in year two of an extended contract? It's not logical.
It would be run up the flag pole for taking advantage of a youthful, first time African American head coach. You are saying there is no buyout effectively. Not the case in this case.

The only people being taken advantage of here is the remaining University of Minnesota basketball fans.

There is no buyout if he accepts another job elsewhere, that is a fact.

The only people being taken advantage of here is the remaining University of Minnesota basketball fans.

There is no buyout if he accepts another job elsewhere, that is a fact.
Shama doesn't agree with you and he read the contract. Did you?
Shama quotes:
"It’s delusional to think Johnson will be terminated after this season. The cost to buyout his contract after two years is almost $8 million. The buyout amount (calculated on remaining years of his $1,950,000 annual salary) is reduced by 25 percent, 50 precent and 75 percent after years three, four and five respectively.

Also, Coyle doesn’t do knee-jerk reactions with coaches he hires. Patience with men’s basketball will be the mantra for a while. This comes in an environment where interest in the program has reached apathy status and program revenues are light years from their potential in an athletic department that counts on basketball to be a cash cow to help the budgets of other sports."

Shama doesn't agree with you and he read the contract. Did you?
Shama quotes:
"It’s delusional to think Johnson will be terminated after this season. The cost to buyout his contract after two years is almost $8 million. The buyout amount (calculated on remaining years of his $1,950,000 annual salary) is reduced by 25 percent, 50 precent and 75 percent after years three, four and five respectively.

Also, Coyle doesn’t do knee-jerk reactions with coaches he hires. Patience with men’s basketball will be the mantra for a while. This comes in an environment where interest in the program has reached apathy status and program revenues are light years from their potential in an athletic department that counts on basketball to be a cash cow to help the budgets of other sports."

Lol Shama? You probably have better sources than Shama, I know I do. I've posted this before, several times.

Much like Pitino, there's also this in his buyout:

Regent Steve Sviggum said Johnson’s buyout is “skillfully negotiated” and there would be no buyout paid out if coach Johnson were to find a “comparable” position, including head-coaching or assistant job in NCAA.

I'm fairly confident Ben will be able to land at least an assistant job whenever Minnesota decides to cut their losses and try to become a Big Ten basketball program again.

If Ben wants to sit out and collect his checks and do something else with his life, then that's possible. If he wants to continue to coach, he will need to find another coaching job immediately. You don't go from firing Tubby after a NCAA tournament win to keeping a coach who is non competitive in the B1G for 3 straight years over the span of 11 years.

Lol Shama? You probably have better sources than Shama, I know I do. I've posted this before, several times.

If Ben wants to sit out and collect his checks and do something else with his life, then that's possible. If he wants to continue to coach, he will need to find another coaching job immediately. You don't go from firing Tubby after a NCAA tournament win to keeping a coach who is non competitive in the B1G for 3 straight years over the span of 11 years.
The most Johnson can hope to make as an assistant is $250-$300k. At $300k, it would take 20 years to make $6 million.

That gets him to 62 or 63 years. He hits social security before he equals those earnings. Sure, he'll get raises, but investing millions earns interest. Call it a wash.

Even if you're right, he'd be a fool to trade away $6 million. He'd make 5% of that and have to work.

Pitino made a smart decision. He was still a HC. That's not only much higher pay, but he has hope of getting to a bigger school for millions per year again. Johnson doesn't.

This is kind of a dumb argument. It doesn't behoove Ben to basically terminate his coaching career just to stick it to the U or walk away from the entire buyout to be an assistant at Northern Iowa. So most likely they would reach some sort of settlement paying him half of the buyout etc.

Top Bottom