Are Fans the only Ones left with Loyalty to a Team?

Is there any reason for fans to remain loyal to a sports team?

• Yes

Votes: 39 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

FinnGopher

Reaction score
From open enrollment in High School to the Wild West of NIL, is there any reason for fans to remain loyal to a sports team?

Your thread title and poll question are not the same.
Good catch - formatting of the site makes it so most of us probably can't read the actual question.

Fans definitely are the only ones with loyalty left to programs. As for whether or not there is a reason to stay loyal.....sure.....but it isn't as much fun as it used to be with the major sports like basketball. Football is screwed up as well but basketball is blowing it out of the water with guys jumping ship left and right.

Good catch - formatting of the site makes it so most of us probably can't read the actual question.

Fans definitely are the only ones with loyalty left to programs. As for whether or not there is a reason to stay loyal.....sure.....but it isn't as much fun as it used to be with the major sports like basketball. Football is screwed up as well but basketball is blowing it out of the water with guys jumping ship left and right.
Basketball seems to have a disproportionate number of prima donnas and selfish players. Every sport has some, but basketball, like you said, seems to really blow it out of the water.

Basketball seems to have a disproportionate number of prima donnas and selfish players. Every sport has some, but basketball, like you said, seems to really blow it out of the water.
Football players, perhaps because it is a rougher game, seem to be much more realistic about their value to a team and recognize that their career could be done in a split second. Makes them a bit more cautious about all this which might suggest why PJ seems to be doing better in this world than Ben.

Football players, perhaps because it is a rougher game, seem to be much more realistic about their value to a team.
With a few exceptions, this has 100% been my observation over the years, even going down to the youth level.

I think the portal is ruining college sports and it shows these kids the wrong values. First of all a school gives you a free ride, maybe you're on a team that kinda sucks, so what! Show some dedication, the chances are you're not going any further in basketball than your college career. Get your education and move on with life. Most of these kids have been coddled by their parents and peers about how great they are. This needs to be stopped before it's totally out of control. I think a good start would be making them sit a full year or two after they transfer. I bet transfers would go down significantly. I'm not talking about the kids that want to come back home to get closer to family or personal reasons I'm talking about the ones that are bouncing around to 3-4 different programs

someone needs to provide some order to college sports. but who?

the Supreme Court could - if it rules on some of the current cases involving NIL and transfers

the NCAA could vote to adopt new rules and policies - or the big-money football and basketball programs could just break away and form their own organization.

or Congress could pass national legislation on NIL.

but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for one of these things to happen. the next couple of years are going to be messy.

The miscalculation is that the fans will continue to have loyalty as well. I am not going to start rooting for someone else, but a lot of the fun for me is watching players develop and grow as individuals and as a team. Harder to get excited about yearly collections of mercenaries.

The miscalculation is that the fans will continue to have loyalty as well. I am not going to start rooting for someone else, but a lot of the fun for me is watching players develop and grow as individuals and as a team. Harder to get excited about yearly collections of mercenaries.
Spot on!

If I was getting paid to be a super fan for another team I 100% would be.

Top Bottom