AP top 25

Usual suspects in the first 5 or so. Agree with Gophergrandpa, be nice to compare this list to the end of the year.

I saw on Twitter, we got 37th place based on the number of votes.

Looks like folks are just reading 'crootin (and payin') ranks for these.

If the Gophers are 4-0 on September 25, they will be ranked. Otherwise we may have to wait a bit.

We are 5 ranked opponents away from the National Championship!

Returning 'good' players for Wisconsin: Braelon Allen..

RANK 'EM!!!!!!!!!! *yaaawwwwwnnnnn

I don’t really get why there is a substantial difference of the rankings of Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

I get having Wisconsin first: but how Wisconsin is 10 spots ahead of Iowa and 13 spots ahead of Minnesota I don’t get.

I personally would probably have them ranked Minnesota, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa…but I probably would have all of them right next to each other

Looks like folks are just reading 'crootin (and payin') ranks for these.

If the Gophers are 4-0 on September 25, they will be ranked. Otherwise we may have to wait a bit.
If the Gophers are 4-0 they HAVE A REALLY GOOD CHANCE of being ranked.

I don’t really get why there is a substantial difference of the rankings of Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

I get having Wisconsin first: but how Wisconsin is 10 spots ahead of Iowa and 13 spots ahead of Minnesota I don’t get.

I personally would probably have them ranked Minnesota, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa…but I probably would have all of them right next to each other
Yeah it really doesn't make any sense. Iowa wins the division, we beat Wisconsin head to head and finish with an identical record last year....

Yet they start in the top 20 while Minnesota and Iowa are both left out of the top 25. Pre-season polls are garbage but it really doesn't make sense that both the AP and Coaches poll are ranking Wisconsin that far ahead of Minnesota and Iowa give how things played out last year.

Guess there is nothing really to do besides go out and prove them wrong again...

We all know the preseason rankings are biased based on recruiting, perception, and prior history. The schools get a benefit of the doubt when ranking Wisconsin ahead of everyone. Schools like USC ranked high are based of Riley and recruiting he brought in.

Like recruiting rankings the polls are just opinions that are based on too many variables to have any meaning in the real world.
Schools that are located in areas that for multiple reasons are producing bumper crops of really good football players have an inherent advantage that is difficult to overcome.
The BIG West is pretty equal this year to start the season and as it always has been, depth of talent in key positions to make up for the loss through injuries is the to success.

Prior history plus recruiting success plays heavily into the WI ranking, I suspect. But once you get past the top 5 or so teams, a lot of “sorting out” happens as each year progresses. 2022 Gophers have the talent to be a ranked team. And, seemingly, the cohesion, experience, player maturation and desire, too. Game planning, game day coaching and the effect of injuries (ideally the lack of) will, as in every year, be the most important variables.

Like many other commentators, I see Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Purdue as closely-aligned in overall talent, though with different key components. Nebraska, sigh, also has good talent—at least on paper. Should be some great games this year. The thing that makes me feel good about the Gophers’ talent this year is that at many positions it is DEEP and can sustain the rigors of a long season. This is the benefit of Fleck’s recruiting efforts and stamina. We might not be getting 5*s, but the full roster is deep, loaded with Big Ten worthy talent.

Prognosticators continuing to add Wisconsin to the preseason top 25 is like asking my mom who her favorite current Twin is and she'll say "Torii Hunter".

She wasn't much of a baseball fan back then. That didn't really happen until the "little roly-poly guy with the big butt" took the Twins by storm in the mid-80s.
Man stuff like that makes me feel old. Crazy to think that Puckett started with the Twins almost 40 years ago because it feels just like yesterday.

There's so much turnover from year to year in the NCAA....that these rankings are as good as guesses. Also....did Wisconsin bring in a new quarterback or something? Or did the voters not see Mertz?

As long as MSU doesn't lay an egg in one of the first three games and we bet them we'll be ranked.....so, if we go 4-0 we have a very good chance of being ranked......:)
Their game the week before is against Washington in Seattle at 630pm Pacific.

I have no idea what kind of team UW is looking to have this year, but that will be a tough environment and a very late game (body clock wise) regardless.

Top Bottom