AP: Send money! The NIL era has some football coaches telling fans to put up or shut up for top recruits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the AP:

The ability of college athletes to earn endorsement money based on their celebrity status has led to millions of dollars flowing in and around universities across the country.

Beyond individual businesses striking deals with athletes, the emergence of so-called collectives has led to organized and well-funded efforts to attract top recruits in every sport, but particularly in football and basketball.

Coaches have become more outspoken in noting the importance of money from collectives in landing top talent and the transfer portal has only added to their urgency. Here are some quotes from large program coaches since Aug. 1, unapologetically putting pressure on fans to step up with cash in hand.
___
"We had players that were here that are now gone and playing at another school that should be here playing right now — because NIL. We didn’t pay him; we didn’t pay him enough. ... We’ll be a Triple-A ballclub for somebody else. That is the reality and the truth of the situation. So, please contact Dinkytown Athletes.” — Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck.
___
“Make no mistake that a good quarterback in the portal costs, you know, a million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now, just so we’re all on the same page, Let’s make sure we all understand what’s happening. There are some teams that have $6 or $7 million players playing for them." — Nebraska coach Matt Rhule.
___
“We’re a better football team with a worse record and that’s extremely frustrating, you know, because you see where the world is going ... So if we’re going to play those teams and people want us to beat Duke and North Carolina State and Syracuse and Maryland next year and Wake Forest next year, then there needs to be a commitment monetarily to helping us get the players that can beat them. Because if you’re not going to help us get the players to beat them, then you are not entitled to bitch when we don’t beat them.” — UConn coach Jim Mora.
___
“The game has changed. Help us stay a step ahead.” — UCLA coach Chip Kelly.
___
“I can promise you -- Georgia, they bought some pretty good players. You’re allowed to these days, and we could use some help. That’s what they look like, you know what I mean, when you have 85 of ’em. I encourage anybody that’s disgruntled to pony up some more.” — Kentucky coach Mike Stoops.

___
“For all you folks that want us to keep winning, I would tell you to get on Savage Wolves, find that link. I’d love to see 5,000 people donate $1,000 to our NIL and get us to a point where we can recruit, retain and develop and have a program in the NIL world where the guys on our roster are able to benefit from that.” — NC State coach Dave Doeren.
___
“I’m grateful for our fans and every amount of money that they give to this university, this football program, paying money to come to games at Williams-Brice Stadium. But for those that have the ability to give, we need ya, for sure.” — South Carolina coach Shane Beamer.

Go Gophers!!

And these guys are just all hoping to get to 9+ wins every year. Some to bowls every year.

At some point I will need to get paid to go to the games and even get a credit on my TV bill to watch. Coaches asking for money to get a good player. What happened to finding a highschool kid and developing a good athlete? Most will not leave, not even for money.

At some point I will need to get paid to go to the games and even get a credit on my TV bill to watch. Coaches asking for money to get a good player. What happened to finding a highschool kid and developing a good athlete? Most will not leave, not even for money.
Hope you're right but I fear that is naive based on where things are going. If you're a good D1 player and someone offers you $200,000 to come play for them, most of them will say, "where do I sign?" Wouldn't you as a college student?

People can't have it both ways, this forum constantly cries about transfers leaving or not coming here and then complain about the gophers asking for NIL money.

Times have changed! if you're not going to contribute then you have no right to complain about anything that happens in the off season.

People can't have it both ways, this forum constantly cries about transfers leaving or not coming here and then complain about the gophers asking for NIL money.

Times have changed! if you're not going to contribute then you have no right to complain about anything that happens in the off season.
This is a dumb argument. Complaining about transfers isn’t asking for both ways. I pay to watch the games already. Now you expect me to pay the players to play the game too? Gtfo with that and pay them out of what I am already paying to see the games.

This is a dumb argument. Complaining about transfers isn’t asking for both ways. I pay to watch the games already. Now you expect me to pay the players to play the game too? Gtfo with that and pay them out of what I am already paying to see the games.
The school can't directly pay the players so that doesn't even work. All I am saying is you can't complain about players taking money from other schools while also complaining about our NIL program asking for money. Every school is under the same rules. Need to change with the times.

The school can't directly pay the players so that doesn't even work. All I am saying is you can't complain about players taking money from other schools while also complaining about our NIL program asking for money. Every school is under the same rules. Need to change with the times.
I can and will complain about kids taking money from other teams. I never advocated for NIL and believe I pay enough to watch that there is enough of my money going to the program already. I don’t think other fans should be prohibited from contributing if they want. Just because I don’t pay into NIL doesn’t make me a hypocrite for complaining when we lose a kid when I already play plenty to watch.

As you should know, none of the money you pay to see games can go to the players as "pay" (above scholies and stipends) or as NIL royalties. Totally forbidden.

Nobody expects you to help pay the players NIL royalties. And everybody agrees that you have the right to keep watching games, even though you don't want to help pay the players NIL royalties. No problem with either of these principles.

But, if you decline to participate in paying players via NIL money--which is your right--some reasonable people think it is both unseemly and logically inconsistent for you to complain about the Gopher coaches' inability to get transfer commitments from players who have auctioned themselves off for substantial NIL payments, or to keep rostered players who transfer because of a substantial NIL offers.

So, don't contribute to NIL + keep watching and enjoying the games + no whining about the quality of the roster the Gophers can afford, and you are Golden. Enjoy the 2024 season.

Last edited:

As you should know, none of the money you pay to see games can go to the players as "pay" (above scholies and stipends) or as NIL royalties. Totally forbidden.

Nobody expects you to help pay the players NIL royalties. And everybody agrees that you have the right to keep watching games, even though you don't want to help pay the players NIL royalties. No problem with either of these principles.

But, if you decline to participate in paying players via NIL money--which is your right--some reasonable people think it is both unseemly and logically inconsistent for you to complain about the Gopher coaches' inability to get transfer commitments from players who have auctioned themselves off for substantial NIL payments, or to keep rostered players who transfer because of a substantial NIL offers.

So, don't contribute to NIL + keep watching and enjoying the games + no whining about the quality of the roster the Gophers can afford, ands you are Golden. Enjoy the 2024 season.
I still reserve the right to complain about the quality of the roster. Whether or not I contribute to NIL has no bearing on that. That doesn’t mean I’m being inconsistent.

So, don't contribute to NIL + keep watching and enjoying the games + no whining about the quality of the roster the Gophers can afford, ands you are Golden. Enjoy the 2024 season.
I have every right to complain about a poorly thought-out, aimless ‘system’ that has completely flipped the sport I loved on its head. What a stupid position to take.

Hope you're right but I fear that is naive based on where things are going. If you're a good D1 player and someone offers you $200,000 to come play for them, most of them will say, "where do I sign?" Wouldn't you as a college student?

Depends on the motivation for playing. Many want to play at the next level...a dream. Many just want to play and get an education. I cannot find an answer the question of getting money if you maybe don't play because you get beat out of your position. Does your 200K go away or stop at some point? If I am playing and like my environment, 200K maybe is no big deal, not worth the risk to leave your friends and that playing time. It all FUBAR now.

What I want to know is how many of these coaches who are making millions of dollars a year are sticking at least $1 million into NIL? Or do they expect students and middle class workers making a $75k-$125k to stick money into NIL, while the coach buys another home, speed boat and car?

Would it change your mind if the person begging you to donate was paid several million dollars a year?
It would if he matched our contributions $1 for $1!:)

About complaining, talk to our founding fathers...

The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise. It protects freedom of complaining, the press, assembly, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You said that eloquently. My short version would be: pay up or STFU if complaining about the roster.

To me, if this is where everything is headed, as it seems to be, the system needs to develop into what Soccer leagues across the world do. Institute transfer fees. If I spend the time finding and developing a player and you want him then you have to pay us both. Make my investment worth it since that all the players are now are investments. That money then allows those schools to still compete and makes the larger schools think harder about paying for that player.

UofM endowment: $3b
Current B1G TV deal: $7b
But I’m supposed to pay the players? Get fucked.
I know you know this but none of those $'s can go to NIL. I agree the system is F'd up but not Gophers or Fleck's fault. Think you probably need at least $5M in the fund annually to compete, though that's just a guess based on rumors of 6 figure offers and Rhule's statement of $1.5M for a top QB. Contribute if you want or not, I don't care, but the landscape has changed and probably not going back.

If we can't or won't compete in NIL, then we can have a fun program in the "2nd level", which I think may be coming.

To me, if this is where everything is headed, as it seems to be, the system needs to develop into what Soccer leagues across the world do. Institute transfer fees. If I spend the time finding and developing a player and you want him then you have to pay us both. Make my investment worth it since that all the players are now are investments. That money then allows those schools to still compete and makes the larger schools think harder about paying for that player.
I like that!

Multi-year player NIL contracts could effectively become a sort of transfer fee. If stud player A wants to transfer for bigger $$, then destination school NIL needs to buy out the contract. It seems to me that scenario could be implemented right now.

What I want to know is how many of these coaches who are making millions of dollars a year are sticking at least $1 million into NIL? Or do they expect students and middle class workers making a $75k-$125k to stick money into NIL, while the coach buys another home, speed boat and car?
I thought about this today. Could you sign a coach to a $20 million per year contract, with $5 million a year guaranteed, with the expectation that the coach donates $15 million a year to a collective?

I know you know this but none of those $'s can go to NIL. I agree the system is F'd up but not Gophers or Fleck's fault. Think you probably need at least $5M in the fund annually to compete, though that's just a guess based on rumors of 6 figure offers and Rhule's statement of $1.5M for a top QB. Contribute if you want or not, I don't care, but the landscape has changed and probably not going back.

If we can't or won't compete in NIL, then we can have a fun program in the "2nd level", which I think may be coming.
We couldn't compete because we had an off campus stadium...Build TCF Bank now Huntington.
Then we couldn't compete because we didn't have the correct practice facilities...Build the Athletes Village.
Now we can't compete because of NIL...We need fans to fund this to the tune of $5 million a year?
What comes after NIL that won't allow us to compete?

You're right, the system the way it is right now is F'd Up. The schools are bringing in millions of dollars, the coaches are earning millions of dollars, yet they want us to give our money, when a vast majority of us are not making millions of dollars, to "pay" the players. F no to that. I don't give money to the professional teams directly, nor do I to the local HS that I follow, why the hell should I have to do that for the college teams?

Would it change your mind if the person begging you to donate was paid several million dollars a year?

Yep.

Coaches, hey listen. Lobby to change the system to more level the playing field while acknowledging it will never be totally level. This will involve a hit to your incomes. Sorry!

And, perform better versus teams with equivalent or less resources, rosters, fan support before chirping at the fanbase. Otherwise, literally of tens of thousands of high school or college coaches for 1/50th the salary can probably do game management, X’s and O’s better than you and your staff.

Top Bottom