AP: New rules may give college football an NFL look

Just keep the clock stop on first down. I think it's BS that in the NFL that you can lose time because a 60 year old chain crew guy can cost you time.

Just keep the clock stop on first down. I think it's BS that in the NFL that you can lose time because a 60 year old chain crew guy can cost you time.

This doesn't happen in the NFL. They don't wait for the chains.

3 on 0ne for kicks is not a great rule. Next they will say how many lineman can go on a screen, because they might have only 1 CB to block and he could get hurt. This is Football

If you haven't learned yet, everything trickles down from the NFL. If it didn't, College football wouldn't be where it is today. Many of these rules will be coached by the coaches in spring and fall and you won't even notice come next season.

Last year wedge blocks were illegal on free kicks, how many times did you see it called in the NCAA or NFL where it has been illegal longer?

If you haven't learned yet, everything trickles down from the NFL. If it didn't, College football wouldn't be where it is today. Many of these rules will be coached by the coaches in spring and fall and you won't even notice come next season.

Last year wedge blocks were illegal on free kicks, how many times did you see it called in the NCAA or NFL where it has been illegal longer?

Plenty trickles up too, for example, the two-point conversion.

Plenty trickles up too, for example, the two-point conversion.

True, but you can't fake an extra point for two, so it is still different. The NCAA Umpire will be on the offensive side in the next two years.

I'm not sure if those lamenting the "similarities" to the NFL are being sarcastic or not, but these rules changes are very minor.

The NFL and college games are very similar - the only real key rules differences are clock stoppages after 1st downs in college, but no 2-minute warnings; knee/elbow means a ball carrier is down even w/o being touched in college; and 1 foot vs 2-feet in-bounds for legal catches. Any other differences are very minor that even many committed fans don't notice.

True, but you can't fake an extra point for two, so it is still different. The NCAA Umpire will be on the offensive side in the next two years.

How often does the umpire get hurt when he lines up on the defensive side? I don't remember seeing it that often. Certainly doesn't seem like they get hurt much more than any other official .

Top Bottom